[news.admin] newgroup & rmgroup

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (04/13/89)

In article <28784@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>newgroup and rmgroup can be disallowed at each site, and reserved for
>>root intervention, at compile time.

>Newgroups are not generally disabled simply because that's an additive
>function, not a desctructive function -- it's a lot easier to come in
>and repair the damage that a "newgroup ba.wobegon" does over the
>weekend than a "rmgroup comp.sys.unix.wizards" [sic] would do.

Although I essentially agree with Chuq, I will also point out that
"newgroup" control messages do have a rather destructive potential:
that of changing the "moderation status" of a newsgroup.

Granted, it (in most cases that I think of, anyway) is not as
destructive as an rmgroup targeted at a newsgroup that's important to
me; a bogus change in either direction can cause a lot of
unpleasantness, though.

The above is all the more reason news admins need to pay attention to
the "Distribution:" specification for control messages that are intended
for their sites.
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (04/17/89)

In article <22065@dhw68k.cts.com> david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) writes:
> [...]
>The above is all the more reason news admins need to pay attention to
>the "Distribution:" specification for control messages that are intended
>for their sites.
>--
>David H. Wolfskill
>uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

	I have written 2 simple shell scripts for the purpose of
	implementing the 'rmgroup" & 'newgroup' control functions.
	The scripts default to "local" for distribution.

	I have included them below for the convenience of anyone
	who needs such things...

--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------

# rmgroup control function
DIST=local
if [ "$1" = "-d" ]; then { shift; DIST=$1; shift; } fi
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
	echo 'usage "rmgrp [-d distribution] newsgroup"'
	exit 1
fi
/usr/lib/news/inews -n $1.ctl -c rmgroup $1 -d $DIST -a $LOGNAME@`uuname -l`

--------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< --------- 8< ---------

# newgroup control function
DIST=local
MOD=
if [ "$1" = "-d" ]; then { shift; DIST=$1; shift; } fi
if [ "$1" = "-m" ]; then
	shift; MOD='moderated'
	if [ "$1" = "-d" ]; then { shift; DIST=$1; shift; } fi
fi
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
	echo 'usage "newgroup [-m] [-d distribution] newsgroup"'
	exit 1
fi
/usr/lib/news/inews -n $1.ctl -c newgroup $1 $MOD -d $DIST -a $LOGNAME@`uuname -l`

--