[news.admin] Reply-to lines

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (05/07/89)

In article <247@shadooby.cc.umich.edu>,
          wisner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
> There is no need to include a Reply-To line unless it differs from your
> From line. Doing so is simply needless repetition. Because of this, you
> may with to consider simply punting the rn code that generates Reply-To
> lines (better yet, make Reply-To one of those headers that rn defaults to
> empty, like Summary or Followup-To).

Actually, I'll disagree with Bill on this one.  The annoying sites which
have (misconfigured ?) software which mangles 'From:' lines into meaningless
unparsable strings generally seem to leave the 'Reply-to:' lines alone.

When I really care about the receipients being able to Reply, I always
include a 'Reply-to:' line.  If I had a better mailer, I'd configure it
to always include them for all outgoing traffic from .cho.ge.com.