[news.admin] Comp.virus spawns an inode virus

hybl@mbph.UUCP (Albert Hybl Dept of Biophysics SM) (05/09/89)

The comp.virus newsgroup is off to a good start.  It's first
posting  has already spawned two copies of itself.  Is this a
new virus?  Let's call it CIV (computer inodedeficiency virus :-)

######### partial diff between the header of message 1 and 3

< Newsgroups: bit.listserv.virus-l,comp.virus
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Newsgroups: comp.virus

########## diff between message 2 and 3

Albert Hybl, PhD.              Office UUCP: uunet!mimsy!mbph!hybl
Department of Biophysics       Home   UUCP: uunet!mimsy!mbph!hybl!ah
University of Maryland                CoSy: ahybl
School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD  21201                 Phone: (301) 328-7940 (Office)

CTHIERMA@UALTAVM.BITNET (Chris Thierman) (05/10/89)

In article <591@mbph.UUCP>, hybl@mbph.UUCP (Albert Hybl  Dept of Biophysics  SM) writes:

>The comp.virus newsgroup is off to a good start.  It's first
>posting  has already spawned two copies of itself.
>########## diff between message 2 and 3

The problem seems to be that this is originally a LISTSERV list and
therefor is being fed into the USENET from various USENET GATEWAY
programs. The listserv that sent our NETNEWS program a copy
of this note, had yet a different Message-ID:. Fortunately the message
bounced for other reasons that will soon be fixed. It would be nice
to know why LISTSERV (or whoever) is generating different message ids.

Chris Thierman                      UUCP: alberta!CTHIERMA@ualtavm.bitnet
University Computing Systems        BITNET: CTHIERMA@UALTAVM
University of Alberta               Phone: +1 (403) 492-2462
Edmonton, Alberta