[news.admin] Looking for US Telebit Site

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (05/19/89)

  I am posting this for someone in Germany who is looking for a site they
can call in the US that has Telebit high-speed modems and can provide them
a full news feed. The calls would all be at the Germans' expense. They have
calculated that it would be cheaper for them to use a Telebit to call the US
directly rather than pay the current fees being charged by the German
site on the European backbone. What they need is a reliable site, because
the calling host represents a consortium of other sponsoring German sites that
are sharing expenses.
  They are not currently connected to the net, so if you are such a site
and would like to help them, please send me mail and I will put you in touch
with my contact in Munich.

--Greg

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (05/20/89)

In article <3252@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
>   I am posting this for someone in Germany who is looking for a site they
> can call in the US that has Telebit high-speed modems and can provide them
> a full news feed. The calls would all be at the Germans' expense. They have
> calculated that it would be cheaper for them to use a Telebit to call the US
> directly rather than pay the current fees being charged by the German
> site on the European backbone. What they need is a reliable site, because

OK. I'm dieing to know how its cheaper.

Presume, for the sake of argument, 100 Megabytes per month. Let's say
you get 7,200 bps throughput on the trailblazer (a realistic number
to Germany). That would be about 31 hours of phone time.

So, to call the US would be roughly 4360 Deutch Marks per month.

The german backbone charges a flat fee of 300 DM per month plus the
caller pays for the phone call. So, to get news from the german
backbone would cost approximately 300 + 1300 = 1600 DM per month.

How is it cheaper to call the US?  It looks like calling the US is about
2.7 times MORE EXPENSIVE than getting it locally.

---rick

p.s. yes the german backbone has trailblazer modems