[news.admin] Plagiarism?

ho@buengc.BU.EDU (Yue-shun E. Ho) (05/23/89)

It occurs to me that a certain mailing group is publishing selected Usenet
  articles in their digests without the authorizations from the original
  posters, although the name of the newsgroup and those of the authors
  are mentioned.  I wonder if this is acceptable and/or legal.  Are Usenet
  articles copyrighted in any way?

I questioned one person who does this about its legalities through e-mail.
  He explained that this is justifiable because (1) the information in
  the articles are important and urgent; (2) the newsgroup which he extracts
  articles from is open to the public; (3) he could simply strip off the
  msg titles and pretend that he wrote all that; (4) he believe that the
  news posters want the news spreaded out as wide as possible "because
  of <1>.  In case this is not so, it doesn't matter anyway because <3>
  will override it."

In article <2938@buengc.BU.EDU>, ho@buengc.BU.EDU (Yue-shun E. Ho) writes:
> It occurs to me that a certain mailing group is publishing selected Usenet
>   articles in their digests without the authorizations from the original
>   posters, although the name of the newsgroup and those of the authors
>   are mentioned.  I wonder if this is acceptable and/or legal.

Yes and yes. In fact for some sites usenet is accessed entirely through
mail. News/mailing-list gateways abound. Just because a person chooses to
select what messages go through the gateway doesn't change anything.

> Are Usenet articles copyrighted in any way?

Five pounds of flax.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

pete@ittg.UUCP (2301) (05/25/89)

In article <4272@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2938@buengc.BU.EDU>, ho@buengc.BU.EDU (Yue-shun E. Ho) writes:
>> It occurs to me that a certain mailing group is publishing selected Usenet
                                                   <<< 1  >>> << 2  >>
>>   articles in their digests without the authorizations from the original
>>   posters, although the name of the newsgroup and those of the authors
>>   are mentioned.  I wonder if this is acceptable and/or legal.
>
>Yes and yes. In fact for some sites usenet is accessed entirely through

<<< 1 >>>
What constitutes infringement of copyright laws is probably not appropriate
here.  Especially since the publisher (author) has given his/her permission
to duplicate his/her work to every machine on the net(s) that
electronically reproduces that work in it's entirety.  This discussion
really belongs in 'misc.legal' not 'news.admin'.

<< 2 >>
I selectively receive news articles here at 'ittg.UUCP' because my supplier
and I have agreed to transmit selectively.  Are inferring that one or both
of our machines is violating copyright?

Come on, let's get serious.
Pete Sherwood               pete@ittg.UUCP        uunet!usm3b2!ittg!pete
Passamaquoddy Indian Tribe, Princeton, Maine      Voice 207-796-2301 8-4 EDT