[news.admin] WHAT ARE THESE RMGROUP CONTROL MESSAGES?

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (06/02/89)

I just got a hold load of control messages.  One of which nearly
wiped out my comp.sources.unix newsgroup.  The only reason it
didn't was because someone misspelt comp as com.  Here's the
entire list of control messages:

  1138) newgroup comp.risks moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1139) newgroup comp.doc.techreports moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1140) newgroup comp.simulation moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1141) newgroup comp.sources.unix moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1142) newgroup comp.virus moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1143) newgroup comp.sys.mac.digest moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1144) newgroup sci.med.aids moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1145) rmgroup rec.games.rpg ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1146) newgroup sci.nanotech moderated ~ 0 (Felix Lee)
  1147) newgroup comp.doc.techreports moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1148) newgroup comp.risks moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1149) newgroup comp.simulation moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1150) newgroup comp.sys.mac.digest moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1151) newgroup comp.virus moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1152) newgroup sci.med.aids moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1153) newgroup sci.nanotech moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
* 1154) rmgroup com.sources.unix ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1155) newgroup comp.sources.unix moderated ~ 0 (News Knower)
  1156) rmgroup rec.games.rpg ~ 0 (News Knower)

Here's the header for 1145:

From: root@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee)
Newsgroups: rec.games.rpg.ctl
Subject: rmgroup rec.games.rpg
Date: 1 Jun 89 02:29:22 GMT
Control: rmgroup rec.games.rpg

And here's the header for 1154:

From: news@cs.purdue.EDU (News Knower)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.ctl
Subject: rmgroup com.sources.unix
Date: 1 Jun 89 02:59:31 GMT

OK, who's the comedian.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (06/02/89)

In article <621@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>I just got a hold load of control messages.  One of which nearly
>wiped out my comp.sources.unix newsgroup.  The only reason it
>didn't was because someone misspelt comp as com.  Here's the
>entire list of control messages:

   [....]

>OK, who's the comedian.

Me.  No comedy intended.

Someone in the US accidently changed all those groups to unmoderated
and created the rec group.   I sent out messages to turn the groups
back to mdoerated and delete the bogus group.  Unfortunately, my
typing isn't so hot and I misspelled one of the group names (as you
noted).  I sent out a cancel message on the bogus "newgroup" and
followed up with a "rmgroup" in case the "cancel" didn't catch up with
the "newgroup" message -- we run NNTP every 5 minutes here.

If you did everything that the control messages from here said to do,
then your system would be back to normal (whatever that might be),
unless you don't carry some of those moderated groups.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,