[news.admin] A Thought Experiment about News.Groups

benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) (05/29/89)

I've had the, um, privilege to follow news.admin and news.groups for a
couple of years. Recently, I've spent some time trying to think
through the underlying assumptions that fuel some of the depressing
volume of flamage these groups carry.

I have an hypothesis. I'd like to offer the following thought
experiment as a was of illustrating it.

Let's imagine a different technical base for the news. Assume, if you
will, that newsgroups were merely automated mailing lists, as on
BITNET. Each one would have a sponsor, who would provide the
computational resource for redistributing the mail. An automated
server would handle adding and removing people. The sponsor might
merely set up a reflector. Or perform digestion. Or even full-blown
moderation. One such list would advertise all of the other lists.

Now, how would this be different from the news as we see it today?
Technically, the biggest difference would be wasted bandwidth.
However, that could be addressed as it is today for lists like
telecom. A hierarchy of redistribution points would reduce redundant
distributions for those lists with enough volume to be worth the
bother. Another problem would be to avoid multiple copies in mailfiles
on leaf hosts. Surely it would be simple enough for the existing news
code to catch incoming mail and accumulate it in directories.

So the technical differences would be trivial.

How about sociological differences? I claim that such a system might
be nearly free of all our current hooting and hollering.

* new lists:

Anyone could announce a new list. If the keeper of the list-of-lists
balked, the creator could still drum for subscribers in related
existing lists. The creator is putting his/her resources where their
mouth is by providing the reflector machine. In a sense, its an
electronic free market -- readers and distributors would vote with
their electronic feet. (cf comp.tcp-ip.eniac).

* "freedom of speech:"

if you didn't like a moderator, you could start a new list on the same
topic, and attempt to convince the majority to join it. (cf the
whining about soc.feminish or talk.politics.guns).

----- ANALYSIS -----

The news is supposed to be an anarchy. However, the existence of
news.admin and news.groups, together with the memories of the
now-defunct backbone cabal, mislead people into thinking that there is
a higher authority to whom anything and everything can be appealed.
People make claims on fairness, freedom of speech, and whatever. If
there was a free market in newsgroups, then there would be no need for
this pissing and moaning. If you didn't like the way a newsgroup was
run, you could trivially create a new one. If people thought you had a
point, they would join it. Otherwise not.

In the current system, however, I have my doubts as to the efficacity
of throwing open the doors of newgroup. Why? Because the investment in
labor or resources needed to declare a newsgroup open for business is
too low. Without some required investment in time or resources, the
JRFlamer department would newgroup us into oblivion.

In the current software, where each new group can cost an arbitrary
number of machines an arbitrary amount of resources, there is great
pressure to hold back the flood. If individual non-leaf machines voted
more with their feet, then J Random Site would have a hard time
finding a feed of what they wanted. So the ongoing broughaha tries to
keep things under enough control that enough machines will still offer
full feeds.

I really don't want to join the greek chorus threatening the EOTNAWNI.
I do suggest that moving the news transport mechanisms in a direction
that would allow any site to get any group without requiring any other
site to run a full feed is a good long-term resolution. If you think
news.groups is a zoo now, imagine 10 times the number of sites.

Whether or not this is a good suggestion technically, it suggests a
philosophical conclusion: apply the maxim "that government is best
that governs least" to usenet. If a reasonable bunch of people want a
new group, give it to them. Don't whine about their choice of
moderator. Don't even count NO votes. If you don't like their idea of
what kind of forum they want, see if you can drum up 100 readers for
your alternative.

--
Benson I. Margulies

In article <371@odi.ODI.COM> Benson Margulies <benson@odi.com> writes:
>Let's imagine a different technical base for the news. Assume, if you
>BITNET. Each one would have a sponsor, who would provide the
>computational resource for redistributing the mail...

Who in his right mind is going to volunteer for that?  Usenet is too
big.  Bitnet is back in the dark ages; even the Internet is starting to
use Usenet's technology (in modified forms, e.g. NNTP) for distributing
news.  Decentralized distribution is an enormous win for material that
is read by many people.  Quite apart from not placing enormous loads on
a single distribution point, it also decentralizes administration.  One
of the biggest pains of maintaining a mailing list is the constant flow
of administrative duties, and the steady stream of "mail bounced, but I'm
not going to tell you why" messages from idiot-savant mailers.
--
Van Allen, adj: pertaining to  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
deadly hazards to spaceflight. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

These suggestions are worthwhile, but in fact it's not that
different today.   Anybody can start a new group with any name on
their own site.  They can feed it to those that want it.  Those that
don't want it don't have to take it.

So a change in structure wouldn't help.  We have never gone to that
sort of structure because of the camp that solidly believes in a concept
called "namespace control."   They believe (with some merit, though not
as much as they sometimes expound) that the namespace of groups should
be kept simple and controlled to avoid more net chaos.

Other forces have stopped changes that might have been better for
usenet in the past.  They would work against such centralization of
groups.

For example, it's just plain stupid that usenet gets transmitted
multiple times into the same city, as was the case for quite some time.
Or multiple times at all, for that matter.

So some folks said, "USENET is really broadcast, let's transmit it by
satellite."  So they did.  To pay for the transmission, however, it was
clear that all the people who benefited from this clear improvement
in efficiency should share the cost.  So the "Stargate" folks said that
they would have to control re-feeding of what people got from the
downlink, so that each downlink recipient would share the cost evenly.

Otherwise they would have had to charge a fortune for one downlink
and expect the single site to feed everybody and charge them.  If they
charged a moderate price for a downlink that reflected everybody sharing
the cost, then 100 sites would get together, get one downlink and not pay
their share.

The result?  People objecting to any sort of scheme like this started
objecting vehemently, and putting copyrights on their messages forbidding
any controlled distribution scheme that might allow the sharing of costs.

They thought they were fighting for free flow of information.  Instead
they hurt the project, and just made everybody pay a lot more for their
datacom.  The only benefit was to the phone company.

Today satellite technology is much cheaper, and a site in Vancouver is
feeding usenet into a data channel with no restrictions just to help
sell satellite decoder boards.   As well, the internet now carries much
of the inter-city usenet traffic, eliminating the wasteful links.

But the reason I tell this story is to remind people that on usenet,
it seems impossible to do anything constructive if it might involve
any level of control.   People on usenet seem to completely
misunderstand anarchy.  Anarchy is the absence of government and
(usually) law.  It is not the absence of order, systems and standards.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (05/31/89)

In article <3400@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton)
discusses his interpretation of the history of Stargate.  Check it out.

The real problem with Stargate was that it simply was not economically
feasible.  The costs announced for a Stargate feed were very high, it
was to be moderated groups only, and the announced restrictions on
outgoing feeds made the financing look even worse.  Some of the
justifications given for the refeeding restrictions looked like "we
own the material", when in fact they did not, at least, not without
the permission of the posters.  But for all the legality, morality,
and technical issues that people can come up with, Stargate flopped
because it simply cost too much.  The availability of UUNET sunk the
project completely, since UUNET gives its customers far more services
than Stargate ever could, for a lot less money.

Thanks to UUNET, the costs of Usenet are now being borne much more
evenly in the US than they ever were before.  Wider use of NNTP means
the Internet is also used more heavily, but we're all paying for that
through our taxes.  Anyone who runs phone bills like decvax did in the
old days to support the net has rocks in his or her head; it's simply
not necessary.  AT&T has gone from net benefactor to the world's
biggest leaf node.  There are sites in people's basements in
California that get mail and news from uunet, paying their own way all
the way.  We don't need no steenking backbone.  That's why it is no
more.

About Stargate and the "You may only distribute this article if your
recipients may" gang, Brad writes:

>They thought they were fighting for free flow of information.  Instead
>they hurt the project, and just made everybody pay a lot more for their
>datacom.  The only benefit was to the phone company.

Wrong.  We are, today, paying substantially less money for our datacom.
Stargate deserved to die; being techically interesting isn't good enough.
You run a business, Brad, and you know that.  If you're competing with
someone who delivers more service, more flexibly, for less cost, you
fold up and go out of business.

>Today satellite technology is much cheaper, and a site in Vancouver is
>feeding usenet into a data channel with no restrictions just to help
>sell satellite decoder boards.   As well, the internet now carries much
>of the inter-city usenet traffic, eliminating the wasteful links.

Exactly.  People on Usenet are willing to pay for data-moving capacity,
and people will pay money if they can save money in the long run.  You
seem to want to turn Usenet into Compuserve, and if we wanted that, we'd
drop our Usenet feed and sign up for Compuserve.

>But the reason I tell this story is to remind people that on usenet,
>it seems impossible to do anything constructive if it might involve
>any level of control.

No.  Stargate simply wasn't constructive.  It was a technically
interesting project run by well-intentioned people that failed.

UUNET was extremely constructive, and made possible things that were
never possible before.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) (05/31/89)

This is intended as a reply to Mr. Spencer and Mr. Templeton.

Mr. Spencer appears to confuses my thought-experiment with a serious
proposal. I reply only to make it clear that I intended no serious
technical proposal to make Usenet mail-based. <though I do believe
that it could be made so convienient as to be indistinguishable from
the current state.>

Mr. Templeton states that the current group creation restrictions are
nominally justified in terms of namespace clarity. If that were so in
action as well as in theory, we wouldn't have quite the current level
of whining. Any newsgroup should be creatable so long as its name is
suitably descriptive. There could be soc.feminism.moderated and
soc.feminism.un-moderated. There could be talk.politics.misc,
talk.politics.guns, and talk.politics.misc_and_guns. There could, in
the extreme case, be rec.humor.funny_according_to_templeton and
rec.humor.funny_according_to_jedr.  One might need a little more
explanation associated with each group than the current sentence.

One might as well require 100 YES votes to make it worth the bother of
propagating the group creation. So far, though, the idea of abolishing
NO votes seems more and more sensible (to me).

NO votes serve, in my obviously insufficiently humble opinion, only to
legitimize the kind of whining that demands that talk.politics.guns be
abolished so that talk.politics readers are FORCED to read gun
transactions, or that bemoans the moderation of some groups. Without
NO votes, it would be put-up or shut up -- either you have 99 other
people who want a group with your guidlines, or you can go start a
mailing list.

I probably won't post anything else about this for a while, if at all,
so don't expect short turn-around follups from me.
Benson I. Margulies

Stargate was expensive, and perhaps too expensive.  Emerging technologies
usually are.

But the principle was sound.  Usenet is essentially broadcast.  A satellite
that can send from one point to every single place on the continent is
clearly far more efficient than any other route.

The only thing that's wrong with it is requiring everybody to have a dish
(something Stargate didn't do.)  But it makes perfect sense to have one
person in each local calling region have a dish and feed out to the rest
using cheap local lines.   5 years ago, you couldn't do that without
sharing the cost of the dish, receiver and uplink time.  Today uplink time
is cheap, dishes are cheap, receivers are cheap, so you can do it.

I was just pointing out that it was sad that an idea that did make sense
at the time was stifled not just for technical reasons but for odd political
reasons as well.

Satellite is still clearly the cheapest method for a net like usenet, even
today.  Everybody who does any kind of large volume multi-point broadcast
is going satellite, unless they are completely security conscious or too
small.

And no, I don't want to turn Usenet into CompuServe!  Hardly.  I like
anarchy (which includes the commercial and the non-commercial.)  There are
some things usenet does best -- far better than the CompuServes and Genies
of the world.  There are things that usenet doesn't do as well as
those services that could be improved on usenet.   Finally there are things
that usenet can't do at all, some for technical reasons (live chat,
database lookup etc.) and some for political reasons (electronic publishing).

I do wish to see things like the latter work in *addition* to usenet, rather
than instead of it, and I have been working on that recently.  Stay tuned for
an impending announcement.

--

In article <3400@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>These suggestions are worthwhile, but in fact it's not that
>different today.   Anybody can start a new group with any name on
>their own site.  They can feed it to those that want it.  Those that
>don't want it don't have to take it.

Right on.  So what's terrible about this?

>So a change in structure wouldn't help.  We have never gone to that
>sort of structure because of the camp that solidly believes in a concept
>called "namespace control."   They believe (with some merit, though not
>as much as they sometimes expound) that the namespace of groups should
>be kept simple and controlled to avoid more net chaos.

....And to keep the net accessible to those who have machines that will not
work when you go beyond some arbitrary number of groups (512, for example).

Of course, some people would just disenfranchise those folks, rather than
cut them a little slack.  So it goes.

>So some folks said, "USENET is really broadcast, let's transmit it by
>satellite."  So they did.  To pay for the transmission, however, it was
>clear that all the people who benefited from this clear improvement
>in efficiency should share the cost.  So the "Stargate" folks said that
>they would have to control re-feeding of what people got from the
>downlink, so that each downlink recipient would share the cost evenly.

You mean so they could continue to perpetuate the monopoly they held, and
reap the revenue from same.

>Otherwise they would have had to charge a fortune for one downlink
>and expect the single site to feed everybody and charge them.  If they
>charged a moderate price for a downlink that reflected everybody sharing
>the cost, then 100 sites would get together, get one downlink and not pay
>their share.

Would they?  If the service was TRULY broadcast at a reasonable price, it
wouldn't pay to "bypass".  Remember, the telephone costs money to use, and
companies and individuals are sensitive to price.

If 100 sites got a feed from a downlinked machine, it would be due to the
telephone costs being lower than the cost of using the downlink, no?  And if
that is the case, then the downlink method of transmission is _clearly_ the
loser; it's more expensive, and by definition (monetary) less efficient.

>The result?  People objecting to any sort of scheme like this started
>objecting vehemently, and putting copyrights on their messages forbidding
>any controlled distribution scheme that might allow the sharing of costs.

No, they objected to controlled distribution that _enforced_ sharing of the
costs, which is proper given the type of network we have here.  Usenet is a
cooperative experience.  UUNET, for example, charges for their feeds, but
you are free to charge someone else for their feed (once you have it) if you
want.

>They thought they were fighting for free flow of information.  Instead
>they hurt the project, and just made everybody pay a lot more for their
>datacom.  The only benefit was to the phone company.

Nope, again.  The benefit was to the phone company, and not to "Stargate",
but that was solely because Stargate was priced unreasonably.  This is a
highly competitive market (newsfeeds); you have many sources, and a choice
that you make according to how you perceive your monetary and other
considerations.  That is what a competitive, free, open market is about.

>Today satellite technology is much cheaper, and a site in Vancouver is
>feeding usenet into a data channel with no restrictions just to help
>sell satellite decoder boards.   As well, the internet now carries much
>of the inter-city usenet traffic, eliminating the wasteful links.

Actually, I worked in that industry, and I can't see how satellite
technology is any cheaper to use now than it was two or so years back.
Please, enlighten the net!  What I do see is a company that is making enough
money (hopefully) selling decoder boards that they can afford to GIVE away
the programming.  I wonder if the people who complained about Stargate
(and put those "silly" restrictions on their postings) perhaps, just
perhaps, saw some firm out there making (what would be) a killing compared
to costs, and didn't like it, and actively made it impossible or very
difficult for that group to succeed.  In other words, they exercised their
right to "go elsewhere" and keep their programming (their postings) from
being exploited by a third party for profit.

What's wrong with that?  Usenet feeds ARE a free market, you know.  UUNET
seems to be doing ok -- even though it's not the cheapest way to get the
news for some people.  For others, the service, connectivity, and ease of
use make it the obvious choice.

Leave the free market alone in Usenet feeds; it's working just fine.  We
have an active example of what happens to those who try to exploit the feed
process for their own enrichment -- the net reacts, and the would-be
exploiter loses.

>But the reason I tell this story is to remind people that on usenet,
>it seems impossible to do anything constructive if it might involve
>any level of control.   People on usenet seem to completely
>misunderstand anarchy.  Anarchy is the absence of government and
>(usually) law.  It is not the absence of order, systems and standards.

No, people on Usenet tend to violently disagree with someone else
misappropriating their work for profit, just like they do in any other part
of the business (and recreational) world.  I believe you misunderstand the
problems that Stargate faced.

Note that Stargate isn't around anymore, while the traditional methods of
transmission, and UUNET (which can be darn expensive if you use it a lot!)
both are.  I wonder why.......

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (05/31/89)

In <3407@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>  Stay tuned for
>an impending announcement.

Anyone else got an impending sense of doom?

Love all them great jokes we get from Genie.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (06/01/89)

In article <372@odi.ODI.COM> benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) writes:
>NO votes serve, in my obviously insufficiently humble opinion, only to
>legitimize the kind of whining that demands that talk.politics.guns be
>abolished so that talk.politics readers are FORCED to read gun
>transactions, or that bemoans the moderation of some groups.

  One man's "whining" is another's critical point. Fortunately for us all,
Mr. Margulies does not know everything there is to know about USENET, nor is
he single-handedly qualified to determine what a proper name for a new group
is (although he sure seems to think he is).
  Without NO votes, how do you propose to decide whether a group is "properly"
named? And are you really so naive as to think that getting rid of NO votes
will stop the whining? We had whining long before we had votes.

--Greg

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (06/01/89)

In article <3254@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
)We don't need no steenking backbone.  That's why it is no more.
)-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

	A minor kwibble...  The backbone as a group running the net
(a gross overstatement) no longer exists... But there still exists a
group of experienced sysadmins talking to each other (Occationally.)
And in sense of traffic flow...

	I'm looking at a map of the US with data charted from Brian's
inpaths program.  I don't know if it is the version with just the test
sites or data from all over the network, but it shows a backbone with
the major nodes being (approx. from east to west), mcvax, rutgers, uunet,
ohio state, Utexas,ucbvax and something I can't read (ill-winke ??), with
a scattering of 'minor' sites (ncar, husc6, purdue, mailrus, etc.)  I'd
say that the backbone is alive and well, it just isn't trying to run
things anymore...

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
SCA event list? Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (06/01/89)

In article <3407@looking.on.ca>, brad@looking (Brad Templeton) writes:
) Stargate was expensive, and perhaps too expensive.  ...
) But the principle was sound.  Usenet is essentially broadcast.  A satellite
) that can send from one point to every single place on the continent is
) clearly far more efficient than any other route. ...
) Satellite is still clearly the cheapest method for a net like usenet, even
) today.

It's not necessarily so, and certainly not "clearly".  A piece of the EM
spectrum over the area of a continent is a scarce resource and a power
supply and transmitter in synchronous orbit are costly bits of capital.
And if it's not economically sound for the mass-consumption medium of
network television, it seems very unlikely that it will be for the
obscure medium we call usenet.

(Same old rant follows, rot 13.  The weary should skip it.)
) Fgnl gharq sbe na vzcraqvat naabhaprzrag.
Vs vg'f na naabhaprzrag bs fbzrguvat sbe serr, V'yy rng guvf zrffntr.

				Matt

mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) (06/01/89)

In article <1756@fig.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
> In <3407@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> >  Stay tuned for
> >an impending announcement.
>
> Anyone else got an impending sense of doom?

Imminent death of the net predicted!

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@ncis.tis.llnl.gov / uunet!ncis.tis.llnl.gov!mcb

benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) (06/01/89)

In article <3315@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:

> Fortunately for us all,
>Mr. Margulies does not know everything there is to know about USENET, nor is
>he single-handedly qualified to determine what a proper name for a new group
>is (although he sure seems to think he is).

Well, aren't we feeling nasty?  Look, I used to be in the debate
business. You can't scare me by snapping a rhetorical towel at my
shorts. If you haven't noticed, I have nothing to gain by this.  I'm
not promoting myself or anyone else as a czar. I set out to making a
constructive contribution to the net. If so-called leaders of the net
post (and not mail) this sort of thing, its no wonder the net is
generally so wonderfully polite.

>  Without NO votes, how do you propose to decide whether a group is "properly"
>named?

Very simply. If 100 people (or 200, or whatever) agree on the name, it
is presumptively pretty good. As Mr. Templeton pointed out, there are
hardly any NO votes anyway. Since there are so few, they clearly don't
serve the purpose Mr. Woods claims for them. Perhaps they serve the
anti-purpose of egging on certain kinds of useless flaming.

> And are you really so naive as to think that getting rid of NO votes
>will stop the whining? We had whining long before we had votes.

I don't know how naive I am. (s/naive/idealistic/)

Benson I. Margulies

edguer@charlie.CES.CWRU.Edu (Aydin Edguer) (06/02/89)

In article <3407@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
 > Usenet is essentially broadcast.
The key word here is essentially.  USENET is not a however a true broadcast
media.  All jokes aside, the source of 5 MB of data a day is not some big
artificial intellence project.  It is thousands of little sites around the
country who contribute to the flow of news the way small creeks contribute
to the big flow of rivers.  Broadcasts imply that there is a one way link,
from a single source.

 >A satellite that can send from one point to every single place
 >on the continent is clearly far more efficient than any other route.
Yes, if you never want to interact with the broadcast.
But think of a major broadcasting firm.  They have to pay for more than
just a transmitter and satellite.  They also have to pay for the newswires
to bring the news in.
Stargate [as far as I know] never did this.  They wanted the net to "pay"
for the newswire that they were broadcasting.  If they only broadcast
information local to the sites directly connected to them, they would not
have seen as many objections.

 >I was just pointing out that it was sad that an idea that did make sense
 >at the time was stifled not just for technical reasons but for odd political
 >reasons as well.
The copyrights placed in articles were in my opinion not stifling in number
or difficulty to obey.  A quick and dirty filter should have been sufficient.
But, I don't know why Stargate failed.  Why not ask the Stargate Project
people?  They are still on the net.  All this speculation gets us nowhere.

 >Satellite is still clearly the cheapest method for a net like usenet, even
 >today.  Everybody who does any kind of large volume multi-point broadcast
 >is going satellite, unless they are completely security conscious or too
 >small.
I do not think it is clear.  I used to live in Missouri,  SHOW ME!
Just for thought: Why are people bothering to invest in fiber-optic land lines?

Aydin Edguer		+1 216 368 6123		edguer@alpha.ces.cwru.edu
Department of Computer Engineering, Crawford Hall, Case Western Reserve Univ.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (06/02/89)

In article <375@odi.ODI.COM> benson@odi.com (Benson Margulies) writes:
>In article <3315@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>>  Without NO votes, how do you propose to decide whether a group is "properly"
>>named?
>
>Very simply. If 100 people (or 200, or whatever) agree on the name, it
>is presumptively pretty good.

    I don't think that is good enough, because these 100 or 200 people are
probably those who want the group created and don't care what it is named.
I don't think these people should get any more of a voice than those who
are concerned about namespace pollution.

>As Mr. Templeton pointed out, there are
>hardly any NO votes anyway.

   That is true most of the time, but not all of the time. It is false
in exactly those cases when there is controversy over the name of the group.
Such controversies are NOT always trivial, and they OFTEN generate a lot of
heat on both sides. (remember soc.culture.{china,chinese} or comp.women?)

>Perhaps they serve the
>anti-purpose of egging on certain kinds of useless flaming.

  I claim that the flames will occur whether or not the flamers are allowed
to vote against the group. This is a vacuous argument, apparently intended
solely to disenfranchise the "namespace control" camp by taking away their
right to vote against a group they feel is improperly named.

--Greg

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (06/03/89)

-
->  Without NO votes, how do you propose to decide whether a group is "properly"
->named?
-
-Very simply. If 100 people (or 200, or whatever) agree on the name, it
-is presumptively pretty good.

Right.  And 5 million Elvis fans can't be wrong.

Just because there are so many of them *never* makes the majority right.
It only makes them the majority.

-As Mr. Templeton pointed out, there are
-hardly any NO votes anyway. Since there are so few, they clearly don't
-serve the purpose Mr. Woods claims for them. Perhaps they serve the
-anti-purpose of egging on certain kinds of useless flaming.

They do serve a purpose.  Since there are hardly any NO votes, when there
are a bunch of them it shows that something is wrong with the proposal.

I may agree with someone in their reasoning that a new newsgroup is necessary.
However, because I don't care about that group (soc.culture.asian-american is
an example) I won't vote on it.

But, in some cases, I disagree with someone's reasoning on a new newsgroup
(sometimes almost violently).  Soc.personals is a good example of this.  And
the fact that over 100 people thought it was a bad idea should give some
idea that, perhaps, it is a bad idea.

When you call for votes there's more than just a YES or NO involved.  There's
a third category: I Don't Care (IDC).  And unless you can convince all these
people who are voting IDC (by not voting at all) to vote, you *need* both
YES and NO votes.  Otherwise you can justifying only counting NO votes instead
of YES votes.

(Note: a flame of this article appears in alt.flame, for those who care.)

--
David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

"I'd like to remind you that when you're too well-entertained to move,
 screaming is good exercise."
						- World Entertainment War

ulmo@seal.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (06/05/89)

I agree with you.

However, I think most of what you want is already doable:
most people >can< make their own list, and offer subscription to it.
This can be gatewayed to USENET bidirectionally, and the resultant
groups can be NNTP'd anywhere you want.

Fluff:

What you want is a standard for making this work better
(more automated, easier to use, and many things fixed in USENET).
Well, I agree.

A few months ago I started using much less USENET and have since
advocated and attempted subscription to mailing lists,
since these mailing lists fix so many things.  Bandwidth be damned:
It sits on the disk until >I< read it; people are polite, informative,
and address eachother without fear; lists have specified known purposes
where the topic is known and yet not too narrow;
answers get POSTED TO THE LIST; etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Well, ever since I found other NNTP site servers with full news feeds on them
and longer disk caching, I've been liking USENET software so much more ...

One of the best setups I see out there is:
Gateway just about everything via both mailing lists and USENET software,
and you will have a good currently-achievable nicely interoperating system.
I see this at Standford, where they have about 30 local newsgroups
(with various ranges -- departmental, campus wide, smaller, larger, etc.
probably all with various distributions), which are all gatewayed well enough
between USENET and mailing lists that in one week I see NO questions about
how to use this system posted in their su.computers news group
(which is actually fun to read!).  It just works.  I see similar response
from the mail gateways on UCBVAX.