[news.admin] Stargate

stargate@stargate.com (06/08/89)

There seems to be considerable misinformation floating around in the
current discussion regarding Stargate.  In particular, we DID NOT
restrict our subscribers from redistributing articles they received
from stargate that originated on Usenet.

In the early days of the project, we openly (on Usenet and elsewhere)
discussed various potential operational structures, and of course one
of the possibilities discussed was to control redistribution (since
that's the most common model: most commercial information providers
and wire services prohibit redistribution).  In fact, there are a
number of very large mass-oriented commercial online dialup
"information services" currently operational who routinely gateway
Usenet articles into their "discussion boards" (along with other
sorts of stuff) and apparently have at various times taken the point
of view that redistribution of any material from their "boards" is
not allowed by their subscribers.

Anyway, some Usenet readers apparently mistook open discussion and
early speculation to be an operational decision.  In fact, our
decision was NOT to restrict the redistribution of Usenet material in
any way.  Our subscribers were always free to redistribute the Usenet
material we transmitted.

One of our hopes had been to pay professional people to moderate much
of netnews so we could have many more moderated streams for people
who preferred them.  But most of the people we talked to who could do
this felt that they should be paid on a per-subscriber basis, and
they wouldn't agree to do it unless we agreed to prohibit
redistribution of the newly moderated digests.  Since we didn't want
to prohibit redistribution, the paid moderators idea was not implemented.

Similarly, we were interested in bringing non-Usenet information
streams onto stargate, but the information providers we talked to
insisted that redistribution would have to be prohibited for that
information.  We determined that it was not practical to fulfill
their requirements while still maintaining open redistribution for
Usenet materials.  Once again, since we didn't want to restrict
redistribution of Usenet materials, the non-Usenet information
streams were not pursued.

By the way, even though we never restricted redistribution, we had a
filter which looked for articles containing any kind of copyright
notice and didn't transmit those articles.  Given some of the complex
copyright notices that some people were starting to use on some
articles, that seemed safest.

The bottom line: Stargate never restricted the redistribution of material
we transmitted.

Some reasons why the project was ended, in no particular order:

1) We had chosen to use vertical interval technology since that would
   allow people without their own dishes to receive the data by cable
   over Superstation TBS, without requiring technical cooperation by the
   cable companies.  This technology is more expensive (both from the
   transmission and reception side of the circuit) than subcarrier
   technologies.

   While dishes have been coming down in price, the logistics of installing
   them can be a real problem for many locations and organizations.
   Any technology other than vertical interval would have required either
   that people have a dish or require each cable company to install special
   equipment in their headends to support the data transmission.  The latter
   is an expensive proposition to say the least, given the way most
   cable companies operate.

   Unfortunately, over time, we were becoming increasingly disenchanted
   with the decoder hardware the carrier supplied us with (they were
   the sole source for the equipment, which was tied to their
   proprietary transmission system).  We received enough DOA decoder
   boxes that needed replacement that it was becoming a problem.

2) The economies of transmission for non-time-critical data such as Usenet
   articles was rapidly changing due to the increasing use of
   Telebit Trailblazer modems to bring down dialup transmission costs.
   While satellite transmission still makes sense for more time-critical
   sorts of information, it would not appear that the sort of simultaneous
   immediate reception provided by satellite is necessary for Usenet articles.

3) The carrier we paid for the data uplink was partially purchased by a
   large cable conglomerate, and another chunk of it was purchased
   (and shut down) by another entity.  The end result was that the
   carrier told us that they would have to discontinue the data service
   we were using within a relatively short period of time.

   The cost of switching to a new carrier with similar
   attributes, which would still entail switching to all new
   transmission/reception hardware, would have been completely prohibitive.
   Once the carrier notified us of their impending shutdown, combined with
   the other factors discussed above and a polling of our subscribers'
   feelings about switching systems, we decided that the time had come to
   plan the clean termination of the project.  We kept things going until the
   money from the subscriber fees had run out, and the project
   came to an end at the time the carrier pulled the plug on the
   transmission system at the uplink (we used the small emergency reserve
   fund we had to continue services to the subscribers well past their
   original subscription expiration dates without asking for any
   additional money from them--this kept all the subscribers activated,
   even though subscriptions had officially run out, right up until
   the carrier pulled the plug).

It should be added that all of us donated our time to stargate, and
had only our direct stargate expenses reimbursed.  We operated on a
no profit basis.  The entire project was an experiment, and we
purposely limited subscribers (we never had more than 10) since we
weren't sure about the long-term viability of the overall hardware
system.  With that few subscribers, keeping our costs covered was
quite difficult, given the costs associated with running the
uplink equipment in Georgia, paying the carrier and telephone
companies, and all the other associated costs that occur even when
all the people involved are donating their time.  But we didn't want
to bring in more subscribers (even though we were constantly being
solicited by people who wanted to join) since we felt that as an
experiment it needed to be of limited size.

We didn't have any plans to make big bucks from the system.  We were
hoping to evolve the system into something that just about anyone
could afford to use whether or not they had a dish, as long as they
could get TBS on cable.  We were hoping to bring in lots more
moderated material and all sorts of material from non-Usenet information
providers.  But it became obvious that the hassles involved would
be overwhelming, so the experiment was ended.

But there were never restrictions on redistribution of material received
from Stargate.

The Stargate Team

In article <128@stargate.COM> stargate@stargate.com writes:
>There seems to be considerable misinformation floating around in the
>current discussion regarding Stargate.  In particular, we DID NOT
>restrict our subscribers from redistributing articles they received
>from stargate that originated on Usenet.

Thank you for clarifying what is a _very_ common misconception.

My question has to be this -- if you didn't have this policy, what was the
uproar all about?  Was it a simple misunderstanding?  If so, it was
certainly a widespread one.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]