[news.admin] where to post .newprod stuff

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (06/11/89)

In article <765@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
>>>B.T. Go Away! (Permanently, please).
>>
>>Do people stay awake at night thinking of ways to get mad at brad?
>
>I Think the problems here is the cross posting to news.* newsgroups.
>If he left it in comp.newprod I do not see any problem with his self
>publicity.  It is my understanding comp.newprod is for new products,
>which this is, but I do think it is in bad taste to cross post it here.
>(NOTE: I have not "bad mouthed" him in the past).
>
>Brad, next time post it to comp.newprod and if you want to build an
>audience, put a little blurb in the news.* groups to check comp.newprod
>for more information.  I think this is a *little* more appropriate and
>would be a *little* more acceptable to net.reader (as well as us regular
>readers of the news.* groups).

Horseshit. Reading .newprod is exasperating. It's like the great
renameing occured, but place everything in a group called "general".

So yes, you do need to point out to people that your announcement
is in .newprod. But why waste the space when you could just
cross post the article to the group concerned ?

A pointer: "go check out my announcement in .newprod" is annoying.

Sit two people down. The one that wants to read the announcement
but only gets the pointer has to subscribe to the group and then
go and find the article in question, whereas the person who
is not interested in the announcement that got cross posted
needs only to hit `n'.

If saving (disk) space, (xmit) time and human frustration
are not good enough reasons to cross post an announcement to
.newprod, what is?
--
       ``The who's who of Milwaukee only eats Ugandan pineapples''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV