[news.admin] newgroup talk.bizarre.nice

" Maynard) (06/17/89)

In article <58128@uunet.UU.NET> root@uunet.UU.NET writes:
>Hopefully, to end the squabbles in talk.bizarre.
>
>                       - Rick

We've flamed numerous admins who didn't know better for netwide
newgroups sent without discussion, much less a vote.

Rick certainly knows better.

Rick also is regarded as one of the prime net.gurus, and may have a very
good reason for doing this without following the guidelines - in
particular, without any discussion anywhere. I had no idea this was
coming until I got the mailbox message that it had been created, and I'm
a regular talk.bizarre, news.admin, and news.groups reader.

Care to explain, Rick?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

" Maynard) (06/18/89)

In <2690.splut.conmicro.com>, I complained about a newgroup that
apparently came from Rick.

The rmgroup that came along this morning states that the author believes
it to have been a forgery. I agree, and, from the paths involved, feel
that the forger was at cs.utexas.edu. (All that the paths mentioned in
the rmgroup message and the newgroup as it arrived here have in common
is cs.utexas.edu!uunet!root. I'm not sure that cs.utexas.edu even talks
to uunet.)

Rick, I apologize for any implication I may have made that your actions
are anything but exemplary.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.
{killer,bellcore}!texbell!splut!jay +----------------------------------------
internet: jay@splut.conmicro.com    | Just say NO to misc.headlines.unitex.

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (06/19/89)

In article <2691@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
[..about a forgery that has a path of...]
>cs.utexas.edu!uunet!root. I'm not sure that cs.utexas.edu even talks
>to uunet.)

They have a type DEDICATED link, not that that means anything... :-)

--
"If the bulk of American sf can be said to be written by robots, about
robots, for robots, then the bulk of English fantasy seems to be written

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (06/19/89)

In article <2691@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

>The rmgroup that came along this morning states that the author believes

Thats too bad. It seems to have had a, uhh, *theraputic* effect on
some people:

--
                You only *think* you've beaten the system.
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (06/20/89)

In article <2691@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

>The rmgroup that came along this morning states that the author believes
>it to have been a forgery. I agree, and, from the paths involved, feel
>that the forger was at cs.utexas.edu. (All that the paths mentioned in

Nope.  It arrived here along with the usual batch of news from uunet,
which tends to happen every 15 minutes or so.  Nothing fishy about the
batch itself, which contained several legitimate articles.  If the
batch was forged, then somebody also forged uunet.uu.net's IP address.
Not likely.  More likely is that someone typed in the message on
uunet's NNTP port.

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (06/20/89)

In <350@ai.cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
> Nope.  It arrived here along with the usual batch of news from uunet,
> which tends to happen every 15 minutes or so.  Nothing fishy about the
> batch itself, which contained several legitimate articles.  If the
> batch was forged, then somebody also forged uunet.uu.net's IP address.
> Not likely.  More likely is that someone typed in the message on
> uunet's NNTP port.

Well I sure would like to know what the real story is; I've already
locally rmgroup'ed the group and have been itching to send out a
global rmgroup pending any sort of word from Gene, Greg, Brian or Bob,
but especially something from Rick.  The precedent which we would set
by allowing this to remain a netwide group is not something to look
upon lightly.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."