[news.admin] A deluge of email

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (06/13/89)

learnd@lafcol (Dave Learn) writes:
\Help!  I'm being engulfed by email!!

\About a week ago, I tried to post an article to soc.religion.christian,
\... I am getting -- this is no joke -- about
\400 letter clones *each day*.  To make matters worse, I can't even wade
\through this flood because so many of them contain NULL characters.

Where is your faith? Moses waded through even greater floods of email! :-)

\Is there any way on Earth that I can stop these letters from sweeping me
\away?  Can I kill the job?  Put something in my profile that keeps these
\letters from reaching me?  Does anyone have a routine I can put in my
\profile that eliminates NULLs?

If you're using the MMDF mail system, put the following into ~/.maildelivery:

*	-	|	R	/your/home/directory/filter

Else put into ~/.forward:

"|/your/home/directory/filter"

In both cases the incoming message is piped into `filter': this program must
decide what to do with the message, presumedly depending on the `Subject:'
line - deleting the mail, filtering out NULLs, etc.
--
"I HATE arbitrary limits, especially when |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
   they're small."  (Stephen Savitzky)    |maart@cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (06/14/89)

From article <1223@altos86.UUCP>, by learnd@lafcol (Dave Learn):
> About a week ago, I tried to post an article to soc.religion.christian,
> and was informed by our UNIX system that SRC is moderated, and hence,
> cannot be posted to directly.  That was no problem, however, because the
> computer would forward the article to Mr Moderator for me.

much deleted saying that the article is causing trouble.

Dave - try to use rn to read the article and cancel it with a 'C' - that
sends out a message that will can the article on any system.

I would add to the people that write the news software that this might be
another case where the "squelch" message capability would be useful - i.e.
put out a global kill for this message that will intercept it the moment
it arrives on any site, even if the squelch gets there ahead of the
actual article.

Just my $0.02 worth.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (06/19/89)

In article <575@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:

>Dave - try to use rn to read the article and cancel it with a 'C' - that
>sends out a message that will can the article on any system.

The cancel would probably bounce exactly the same way and double the flood
of mail he's getting.  Certainly won't cancel the mail that's already been
generated.

I'm a little puzzled tho - if Dave's machine has the group marked as moderated
(as he seems to imply), a single mail item would be sent to the moderator,
and it would *not* appear in the newsgroup, and it would not cause the bouncing.

Whereas, if his machine marked it unmoderated, his machine would put it
in the newsgroup, and all of the other machines would start bouncing it.
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (06/22/89)

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) sez:
> In article <575@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (who, me?) writes:
>>Dave - try to use rn to read the article and cancel it with a 'C' - that
>>sends out a message that will can the article on any system.
>
> The cancel would probably bounce exactly the same way and double the flood
> of mail he's getting.  Certainly won't cancel the mail that's already been
> generated.

Unlikely - cancel messages go out in newsgroup control, which is
not moderated. So a cancel message shouldn't generate any flak.