[news.admin] FEED FOR GERMANY

pim@ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen) (06/24/89)

In article <3631@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>This sounds like something we can help with :-)
>Get ten or so systems together, and have one of them poll us.  We'll feed
>'ya over there in Germany if you can call here.  We have a Telebit, and the
>spare capacity.  And we're reliable as a news source.

I guess that in this case there is another monopolistic organisation
that will prevent this.  The German Bundespost does not allow Germans
to use their own modems.  You can only rent their 1200 baud modems;
connecting a Telebit to a German phone line ist verboten!

Correct me if I am wrong.
--
--------------------+----------------------+-----------------------------------
Pim Zandbergen      | phone: +31 70 542302 | CTI Software BV

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/27/89)

In article <767@ctisbv.UUCP> pim@ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>In article <3631@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>I guess that in this case there is another monopolistic organisation
>that will prevent this.  The German Bundespost does not allow Germans
>to use their own modems.  You can only rent their 1200 baud modems;
>connecting a Telebit to a German phone line ist verboten!
>
>Correct me if I am wrong.

Telebit says in their ad's that they are PTT certified for European Countries,
what this means for west Germany I don't know.

I'm also told that the technology used by the Bundespost to check for
modems can be gotten around fairly easily, I've heard two stories, leave a short
silence between picking up and sending carrier or only use the modem in answer
mode, they can only check outgoing calls. I also don't know if doing either of
these things is illegal. I remember back in the old days here it was
against the rules to put a modem on a line without getting permission from
Bell, if you got caught Bell would refuse to perform service on the line until
the unit was removed, then charge you a whopping fee for their trouble, most
people, including a lot of Bell people though it was actually illegal.

--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley