[news.admin] Lapsed subscriptions

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (06/30/89)

In article <29860@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >WERE doing - see the latest issue of the EUUG Newsletter, EUnet column
> >for the latest information on this 'competition'.
>
> Oh, damn. I seem to have let my subscription lapse.

That's rather a pity ! Now you will never know what I was talking about ...

But, being the kind soul that I am, here is the relavant section:

The following is an extract from the EUUG Newsletter,
Vol. 19 No. 2,
ISSN 1011-4211
Copyright EUUG 1989

"IUnet and the Hackers
blackholed, that is their mail was being rejected and returned to the
sender. Unfortunately this was not well understood on the other side of
the Atlantic: site pyramid (willing to support an initiative that seemed
to be compliant with the 'Usenet spirit') offered them a news and mail
feed for free. The danger of having an anti-EUnet growing day-by-day
was avoided when pyramid disabled their UUCP logins: an investigation
with Italcable had prooved that those hackers were using stolen PAD's
and X.28 passwords (that's why they offered their service for free !)
a real hackers solution !

After that they tried (are trying) to re-establish friendly relations
with us: we of course feel the need of granting to *amateurs* a *limited*
access to the network, but we don't think that those hackers of Sublink
have the necessary accomplishments of capability and honesty to run the
*amateur* part on our behalf.

A popular computing magazine, which already runs the biggest Bulletin Board
System in Italy (based on a UNIX system b.t.w) has shown a definite interest
for *retailing* EUnet mail and news to their end-users."

-------

Please note that this is an extract, so don't take things out of context
and start drawing conclusions.

To add a little background, let's explain why it is necessary to jump on
illegal activity: EUnet has reasonable relations with most european PTT's,
but they don't really understand who or what EUnet is - but when they
find uucp/email and news involved in illegal activities theyare very apt
to link this directly to EUnet! - we have to keep our noses super clean !

Now for the commercial ! (well, actually a reminder)

Under a reciprocal agreement with USENIX, members of one organisation can
benefit many of the services of the other.
For example, anyone interested in following developments in europe,
who is a USENIX member, can subscribe to the EUUG Newsletter for what
amounts to the cost of production and postage.
Similar arangements exist for entry to EUUG conferences etc.

If anyone wants further details about this, email to euug@inset.co.uk

Philip

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (07/02/89)

In article <96@coms.fr> philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
>In article <29860@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>> >WERE doing - see the latest issue of the EUUG Newsletter, EUnet column
>> >for the latest information on this 'competition'.

->After that they tried (are trying) to re-establish friendly relations
->with us: we of course feel the need of granting to *amateurs* a *limited*
->access to the network, but we don't think that those hackers of Sublink
->have the necessary accomplishments of capability and honesty to run the
->*amateur* part on our behalf.

It would seem from the 'extract' (mostly deleted) that what you guys over
there really need is an anti-EUUG user group. Something to let the amateurs
show you how to really get everyone involved in networking and cost sharing.

Further you could use a little less order and a lot more anarchy to wake
everybody up. Even state monopolies need a kick in the butt every once in a
while. Start a ruckus! Call your local politico. Write letters to your editor.
Do whatever one does when laws need changing for the benefit of all. Damn-it!
Act like a Democracy.

Unless you get the masses to rise you'll always have the bureaucrats stifle
progress with the onus of what your newsletter talks about: to keep THEM out
and US in.

Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr