[news.admin] Re^2: mail and news in Europe

keld@freja.diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (07/01/89)

Concerning EUnet managed internet top level domains:
As far as I know (and I know the Danish arrangements for sure)
all EUnet managed internet top level domains are open to others,
without charge. That is, anybody can have a name registered
under the country top level name. I have heard of other nets
administering internet domains, where there were great problems
for EUnet to register sites.

I think much of this discussion comes from differences in
organisation in Europe vs USA. We are better organised here,
thanks to EUUG. And all participating pays their share.
You can say we have a "uunet" in each country in Europe.
And this scheme has been working in Europe for more than
6 years. People want a reliable service, and thus Eunet has evolved
to become more professional, as many of the backbones have
hired staff and their own machines dedicated to EUnet services.

Of cause you may be able to do things cheaper if you run
everything voluntarily and have free machines to your disposal,
but for how long will it last ? Remember decvax, ucbvax, seismo
and inhp4 ? The net has grown up and it is to big to run on
an voluntary basis, at least in Europe.

Keld Simonsen
Danish Unix User Group,
Danish IP/UUCP backbone

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (07/02/89)

>                                Remember decvax, ucbvax, seismo
>and inhp4 ?

Funny, last I checked ucbvax was still very much in the USENET business.
Note my Message-ID: and Sender: headers.

I'm not the NRA either.

In article <4793@freja.diku.dk>, keld@freja.diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
> The net has grown up and it is to big to run on
> an voluntary basis, at least in Europe.

Given the state of news in Germany, it sounds more like it's too small.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "X3J11 is not in the business
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.         |  of legislating morality ..."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today? `-_-' |      -- Henry Spencer