[news.admin] mail and news in Europe

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/24/89)

A couple of questions:

Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Who administers the top-level domains in Europe?

Each European country has at least one site administering that country's
domain. In some cases, there are two or more sites claiming authority
for the same domain on different networks!

>						 If they are maintained by
>EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains?

No. If the site is using UUCP on EUnet, it is supposed to be a member of
the EUUG. The national backbone in each country maintains their own
domain tables. They may also provide name mappings for other sites that
are on different networks [eg X.400, Bitnet].

>							Or, to be more
>succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
>its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

No reason why not, provided the site is able to persuade a network
authority to register their name. This might not be so easy as it sounds.
If someone on that network has assumed responsibility for say the .de
domain, your site might only be allowed to register through whoever is
the authority for that domain.

For the example you give, if the company wants to register as a UUCP site
under the German domain, it would probably have to register through the
German UUCP backbone.

>Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
>Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
>Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

Not really. The major cost is the bit of wire that crosses the Atlantic
and how it is used. This depends mainly on the charging policies of the
various PTTs. The actual transport protocol used won't make much
difference. In some cases, NNTP would be no help at all. For instance,
the UK Academic community has free access to the Internet through a
gateway in London. The gateway only provides telnet, ftp and mail
service. It won't support NNTP or IP-level routing, so you can't get
news that way even if you wanted to.

		Jim

dfk@cwi.nl (Daniel Karrenberg) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu>
wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
>EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains?

In some countries the organisations running EUnet backbone host have
indeed registered the Internet toplevel domain with SRI-NIC.
They act as clearing houses according to the rules and will
register subdomains of anyone who wants them according to the rules.
EUUG or EUnet members get no preferential treatment whatsoever.
This is more than can be said of some academic networks having registered
the toplevel domains in other countries. Also EUnet has been very active
in many countries to achieve coordination of email delivery using
domain addresses.

>Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
>Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
>Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

:-) :-) :-( :-( :-(
Yes of course. Since every site connected to the Internet will set up an
NNTP feed from some site in the US. The news will get over here very chaeply
and with about 2 months delay because the links are so clogged.
:-( :-( :-( :-( :-(.

One of the two (soon three) transatlantic links providing the
abovementioned Internet connectivity is maintained and financed by EUnet
in cooperation with UUNET. It's paid out of sharing the cost for bringing
news into Europe and by organisations actually paying for mail.

This connectivity is not for free!  Yes, having a leased line will bring
down the cost *as long as everybody pays their share*.  If cheating starts
in a big way then the money will not be sufficent to keep (or upgrade) the line,
the connectivity will go away and everybody looses.
This is why there is agreement among the organisations providing
Internet access in the abovementioned countries that sites receiving
news via this infrastructure should pay their normal EUnet news
subscription and use the hierarchical distribution scheme that minimises
transmissions on expensive links.

Daniel
--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcvax!dfk

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (06/26/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun23144304@anableps.berkeley.edu>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> A couple of questions:
>
> Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
> EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
> succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
> its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

Only EUUG members may join EUnet.
EUnet was set up by, and is run for the benefit of EUUG members.

There are gateways into various domains.
I think it improbable that a site not passing via one of the official
gateways will be able to register in the (for example) .de domain.

Certainly, mail to/from any site passing vi EUnet will only pass if
that site is willing to pay for its transport costs.

(Can I ask France Telecom to set up a special transfered charge scheme,
so that all of my telephone call charges are transfered to YOUR account ?

PLEASE !!! )

> Now that several European countries (including France, Denmark, The
> Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Finland) are directly connected to the
> Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?

Tell me how the telecoms system knows the difference between bits transfered
via UUCP and those transfered by NNTP ?

Philip

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/28/89)

In article <573@axis.fr> philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
>> Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
>> EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
>> succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
>> its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?

>Only EUUG members may join EUnet.
>EUnet was set up by, and is run for the benefit of EUUG members.

My question said nothing about joining EUnet. I asked if sites that are NOT
members of EUnet are allowed to enter the Internet domains that EUnet manages.
I refer specifically to the top-level domains for European countries, such as
.DE for Germany.

If EUnet does not allow such sites to join such domains, it is evil, rude,
and very wrong.

You can call a non-EUnet site foobar.de without requiring mail for that site
to pass through EUnet gateways! Many people do not seem to realize this.
A trivial addition to the .de zone would allow it. This would not hurt EUnet
at all (in fact, it would bolster their image) and it would definitely help
make international mail just a little bit easier.

>Tell me how the telecoms system knows the difference between bits transfered
>via UUCP and those transfered by NNTP ?

NNTP is a protocol used to transfer USENET over Internet links. I can't be
sure but it seems likely to me that the transatlantic Internet lines are
leased, which means that there is a fixed cost to maintain it, not a per-
packet fee. If those lines have a fixed cost, it won't cost any more money
to send USENET articles down the pipe.

Please, no bitching from the UK contingent; I know quite well why NNTP
to JANET won't work. And incidentally, I do agree with the European who
opined that care must be taken to avoid clogging those transatlantic wires
with USENET traffic.

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (06/29/89)

In article <573@axis.fr> philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
> > Internet, will NNTP help bring down the costs of getting news into Europe?
> Tell me how the telecoms system knows the difference between bits transfered
> via UUCP and those transfered by NNTP ?

Ahh, this answers my same question too!
In North America, the Internet connections have almost always been
dedicated links, often satellites, often terrestial leased lines.

I guess the diversity of carriers in USA makes things significantly easier.
Right now most Internet traffic goes over the NSFNET, which to my
surprise is a whole bunch of dynamically linked T1's via MCI communications!
I would have never thought that MCI, a phone company, would be
involved with this.

After 20 years of ARPAnet connections, I think we just forget or
don't realize that for whomever pays the bills, many of them down the line
are paid to various phone companies and such:  the links have always
been there (for longer than I've been alive anyway), and certainly
they are not going to disappear overnight.

For us, Internet use is free ...
I think someone, yeah, well, the taxpayers, which logically is me
and a whole bunch of other people -- they pay for it ...
I don't!  Well, not directly.

Hey, what's wrong with all you European countries, that you don't have
humungus deficits of a coupla terrabucks, so you can do this networking
stuff for free?  God are you technologically behind!!!

(Yesterday I called BARRNET, he said
$12000/yr corp, $4000/yr nonprofit; $20000@56kbit or $26500@T1 install.
He estimated for me that paying to the phone company for a line
would be something like $500-600/month for me.
Gee!  Money's involved!  I hadn't thought of that.)

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (06/29/89)

In article <29859@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
> In article <573@axis.fr> philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
> >> Who administers the top-level domains in Europe? If they are maintained by
> >> EUnet/EUUG, do only EUUG members get to join those domains? Or, to be more
> >> succinct, if a company in Outer Boondocks, West Germany polls the US to get
> >> its own mail, will it be allowed to become company.de?
>
> >Only EUUG members may join EUnet.
> >EUnet was set up by, and is run for the benefit of EUUG members.
>
> My question said nothing about joining EUnet. I asked if sites that are NOT
> members of EUnet are allowed to enter the Internet domains that EUnet manages.
> I refer specifically to the top-level domains for European countries, such as
> .DE for Germany.
>
> If EUnet does not allow such sites to join such domains, it is evil, rude,
> and very wrong.

In Europe, there are normally several organisations managing any given
domain (EUnet, BITNET, X400, etc).
Depending upon the country there is reasonable co-ordination between the
people involved - there are agreements to transport each others mail
for instance, and to 'gateway' mail destined for a site on another network
automatically and free of charge.

So, you can register with EUnet, BITNET etc - I don't think that any of these
will accept handling your mail free of charge.

You can start your own network - then negociate with all of the people already
handling managing that domain - providing you pay your own way they will
probably agree to route mail to/from you - but you must do likewise.
You must also do it professionaly - in USENET you send mail with a
hope that one day it might reach its destination - always provided
that some site doesn't use its god given right to re-route your mail,
to change its headers, to use out of date maps etc - we have none of that
in EUnet - the backbone structure is tight, the maps are *at most* hours
old, and misrouted or lost mail are considered serious

So, if you want to form your own network, and map it into .XX, you too
will have to provide a service which the other member networks accept
as being of acceptable quality - you will have MUCH more problems with
other organisations over this than you will ever have with EUnet.

Of course, if you just set up your machine on your own, and call it
'thingy.de' then no-one can or will stop you - but they are under no
obligation to pass mail to/from you, or even to put your machine in their
maps - this is something you do by negociation.

> You can call a non-EUnet site foobar.de without requiring mail for that site
> to pass through EUnet gateways! Many people do not seem to realize this.
> A trivial addition to the .de zone would allow it. This would not hurt EUnet
> at all (in fact, it would bolster their image) and it would definitely help
> make international mail just a little bit easier.

I think that you are confusing the way things are done in the USA, and the
way that are done in Europe ...

> >Tell me how the telecoms system knows the difference between bits transfered
> >via UUCP and those transfered by NNTP ?
>
> NNTP is a protocol used to transfer USENET over Internet links. I can't be
> sure but it seems likely to me that the transatlantic Internet lines are
> leased, which means that there is a fixed cost to maintain it, not a per-
> packet fee. If those lines have a fixed cost, it won't cost any more money
> to send USENET articles down the pipe.

Internet links (NSFnet and company) have quite severe restrictions placed
upon them - they are for ACCADEMIC/RESEARCH use. They are NOT there to
reduce the costs of people transfering news - especially if it is going to
commercial sites.

The USA <-> Europe link is already (and has been for quite some time) a leased
line - and I *think* that NNTP is already used to transfer news between
cwi and uunet.

Remember that we use a leased line because, given the volume of trafic it is
cheaper than any other means - no-one is going to be able to compete
with a trailblazer - well, *just* maybe they can for News, but that is only
part of the EUnet services.

I have seen people claim incremental costs of ZERO - this is, of course,
NEVER true - you can claim that adding one more site in europe has
no cost because we have a leased-line. Ok, you can say this several times,
and then, suddenly, you find that you have no capacity left on your leased
line, you have to exchange your 64K  line for a 128K line - you find that
you need to add another 1000Mb of disk, you run out of CPU cycles - so do
you say it is free for everyone, untill this happens, then the next one that
joins gives you an incremental cost of half a million dollars - you try
asking that person for that !!!

> Please, no bitching from the UK contingent; I know quite well why NNTP
> to JANET won't work. And incidentally, I do agree with the European who
> opined that care must be taken to avoid clogging those transatlantic wires
> with USENET traffic.

Like the (in)famous news articles offering cars for sale in NJ etc ?
I notice all of these come from AT&T employees - and I suppose AT&T gets
LOTS of money from transporting these articles around the world ....

As far as JANET is concerned, can you do ANYTHING with JANET which works ? :-)

Philip

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (07/03/89)

In article <4793@freja.diku.dk> keld@freja.diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
>People want a reliable service, and thus Eunet has evolved
>to become more professional, as many of the backbones have
>hired staff and their own machines dedicated to EUnet services.

I don't think anybody is criticizing your backbone staffs or your
professionalism. Or that somebody somewhere has to pay for their time.
I believe the bone of contention is that the costs are so high that you'll
never get the little guy involved. This, in turn, keeps your costs high
because you can't share the cost with more sites.

>Of cause you may be able to do things cheaper if you run
>everything voluntarily and have free machines to your disposal,
>but for how long will it last ? Remember decvax, ucbvax, seismo
>and inhp4 ? The net has grown up and it is to big to run on
>an voluntary basis, at least in Europe.
>Danish IP/UUCP backbone

Let me ask you how many sites you feed in Denmark? How many full news feeds,
how many mail customers?  Oh, you'll say you only have a small country, right?
Ok, what's the population then? I have a little old 386 here with a 338MB
disk. I feed about 10 sites locally. I have access to a full feed from 3
sites. I pay my own phone bill across the river (another state and higher
charges). My main feed gets its feed from uunet mainly because they don't wish
to impose on others (bpa or Bell of Pennsylvania and several other local
sites). So, to be fair, as you would say, it costs about $250 (including phone
delivery charges) to receive a good size feed from uunet. If everybody were to
just take then bpa would shut its doors to like the sites you mentioned.

My company has almost 200 customer clients receiving a selected news feed (end
user type stuff) and E-mail all over the USA.  We add about one a week.  Most
of these sites aren't even on the map as we serve as our own internal hub.  We
are but a small company.  But there are thousands of us.  This mostly possible
because our telephone system discounts its charges dramatically after 11PM.
So all this stuff goes on mostly at night.  It costs only 20 or 30 cents to
call 3000 miles across the country.

How can all this be possible? It is called economies of scale. The more people
that use a service that has a certain fixed cost anyway, the cheaper it gets
for everyone.

That is, unless you start making crazy rules about how this can't work!

What few of us here see in Europe is a willingness to try something different.
You seem so ademant about your professionalism and 'proper' procedures that
the whole process of more information interchange seems to have gotten stuck
with only a handful of users sharing inordinate costs.  It seems that they
like it that way just to keep the riff-raff out.
Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

In article <575@axis.fr>, philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
> I have seen people claim incremental costs of ZERO - this is, of course,
> NEVER true -

Not for mail, no, but certainly for news feeds it is if everone pays the
connect charges for their own feed. And if people feed and cross-feed
each other. I understand you discourage sub- and cross- feeds.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "X3J11 is not in the business
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.         |  of legislating morality ..."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today? `-_-' |      -- Henry Spencer