[news.admin] What newsreaders are there out there?

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (06/27/89)

Having puttered around the net for the last couple of months, I have become
more and more dissatisfied with the newsreading software I am using (rn).
I've been thinking about the capabilities I'd like in newsreading software,
and was wondering if anything that does the following is available.

If it isn't, then I'd like to get the information required to write my own
reader (and if this comes about, your suggestions).

My wish list (version 1.0) :

	1) To be able to easily read messages by thread (References) order
	   rather than sequential order.  In particular, to be able to go
	   and read subsequent messages that reference this one, and read
	   messages referenced by the current message.

	2) To be able to specify that I am not interested in following a
	   particular thread anymore.

	3) To be able to see a summary of the active threads (eg: display
	   threads with unread messages, rather than just the messages
	   themselves.

	4) To be able to flexibly sift through the messages for messages
	   I want to see (such as any message that contains my name or
	   site...) and don't want to see (by particular persons, for
	   example.)  rn can do this now, but it's clumsy.

	5) To extend 4) to newsgroups I don't subscribe to, so that my
	   newsreader can tell me ``hey boss, you might want to read
	   this.''

Of course, 2) 4) and 5) are all related and can be implemented by a fairly
simple internal file containing instructions that either direct the news-
reader to accept or reject an article based on certain criteria.

So, does something like this exist?  And if not, is it worth the time to
write it?  And if so, is it ok to modify a newsreader like ``rn'' to provide
these functions?

--
(^;-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-;^)
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.   !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP

rene@ascom.uucp (Rene Bach) (06/28/89)

In article <698@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Having puttered around the net for the last couple of months, I have become
>more and more dissatisfied with the newsreading software I am using (rn).

Same here. I've heard about the emacs interface. What can that one do ?

My suggestion would be that the result of the = command gets put into a mouse
sensitive window where I then click the messages I want to read.  Can the emacs
based version do that ?

Another useful facility would be to be able to bring to the attention of
colleagues some interesting messages.  The easiest, but most space consuming
would be to add a forward command to RN and forward the whole message to the
person, using the mailer.  Are more clever mechanisms possible ?

E.g.  a "brought to attention" list of messages that would be added to the .rn
log file ?

Rene

rene@ascom.uucp
Switzerland

ken@capone.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (06/29/89)

In article <247@ascom.UUCP> rene@ascom.UUCP (Rene Bach) writes:

>My suggestion would be that the result of the = command gets put into a mouse
>sensitive window where I then click the messages I want to read.  Can the emacs
>based version do that ?

Hmmm...thats a neet idea...

>Another useful facility would be to be able to bring to the attention of
>colleagues some interesting messages.  The easiest, but most space consuming
>would be to add a forward command to RN and forward the whole message to the
>person, using the mailer.  Are more clever mechanisms possible ?

Well....I don't know what news reader you use, but in 'rn' forwarding
is quite easy.

After reading the article, simply type:

	|mail user@site.domain

This will pipe the message to mail and send it to a colleague.

	...ken seefried iii
	   ken@gatech.edu
	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	                      ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/30/89)

:
: If it isn't, then I'd like to get the information required to write my own
: reader (and if this comes about, your suggestions).
:
: My wish list (version 1.0) :

A few of the things you want might be available with the stuff that
ClariNet provides for filtering news. You'll have to go hunting for
the reference since I don't have the postings any more. There is also
the `nn' reader just posted on comp.sources, it might have some of
the features you are looking for.

---
bill@twwells.com

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/03/89)

In article <698@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Having puttered around the net for the last couple of months, I have become
>more and more dissatisfied with the newsreading software I am using (rn).

I found that vn is far more useful, and has become my newsreader of choice.
The reason comes from a combination of two things: I dial in from home at
1200 to read news sometimes, and I usually only read a small subset of
articles in a group. With vn I am presented with 22 articles at a time,
showing subject and poster - I can deal with a backlog of close to 100
articles in almost no time at all, by just reading the stuff I want. Granted
this is less of an advantage at 9600 BPS, but since I'm too cheap to shell
out for a 2400 BPS modem I'm forced to run at 1200 when calling from home.

Just my $0.02 worth - BTW I'm going to be real interested in how this
nn thing behaves: I have it all saved away, but haven't bothered to
unpack and make it yet.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (07/03/89)

In article <247@ascom.UUCP> rene@ascom.UUCP (Rene Bach) writes:
>In article <698@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>Another useful facility would be to be able to bring to the attention of
>colleagues some interesting messages.  The easiest, but most space consuming
>would be to add a forward command to RN and forward the whole message to the
>person, using the mailer.  Are more clever mechanisms possible ?

I drop messages to other users all the time. I say |elm user@site or |mail joe

Gets there just fine.

Is that not what you want?
Fred

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr

jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) (07/05/89)

In article <598@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>Just my $0.02 worth - BTW I'm going to be real interested in how this
>nn thing behaves: I have it all saved away, but haven't bothered to
>unpack and make it yet.

I have unpacked, ported, compiled, installed and run nn.  It is very fancy,
very full featured, a very impressive effort.  But one (for me) problem.

The concept of a single article being unread is foreign to nn.  After reading
a group apparently, you must decide to keep everything, or junk it all.
Extensive save facilities and the ability to manipulate your nn selections
and return to them mitigate this dilemma, but I find it scary.

My usual newsreading procedure (I use rn these days) is to go into groups,
read some stuff, junk other stuff, and leave a bunch undecided about.  I then
proceed on to the next group.  I may return to that group again
and hack away further.  Groups with large backlogs have the greatest
claim on my attentions.  With nn you (apparently) just cannot do this.

With nn you must go into a group, select stuff to read, read it, and then choose,
either forget about the stuff in the group or keep it all.  (God these Europeans
are decisive!  I wish I could be like that.)

As I posted to comp.sources.d, I found nn to be like the play Hamlet, clearly
brilliant, but very perplexing.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey