[news.admin] Re^2: Too much cross-posting?

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) (07/08/89)

In article <674@whizz.uucp>, bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
> Over the past several months, I've become increasingly aware of the huge
> percentage of articles which cross-post between comp.sys.att and unix-pc.*.
> When I get into comp.sys.att (second in order in my .newsrc), I find
> myself virtually wearing out the 'n' key. . .

Might I suggest part of the problem is your newsreader?  Some seem
to recognise cross-posted articles which you've already ready in
unix-pc.* and don't show them to you in comp.sys.att.  That will fix
your wearing out the n key.  Rn seems to do this for me.

>	The reason you have to pour over so many unix-pc postings is
>that these groups are poorly distributed and in order to get to many of
>us, the posters are kind enough to cross post.  In fact, I can't post
>except through comp.sys.att.
>	I also would like to know why distribution of the unix-pc group
>is so difficult to come by.  I have been trying for the last year to get
>it here . . . [[ goes on to describe in detail the search for it ]]

Well, I can solve part of your problem.  We received unix-pc.* thru
the University of Michigan (I dunno where they get it, or even if there
is a 'central control'), and are willing to redistribute.  We will feed
any NNTP site which asks, and 'local' uucp sites within reason.  If
we get too many local requests, we'll ask some of them to redistribute.

What's local?  You should be a toll-free call for us (Ann Arbor, MI),
or willing to call us on your nickel.  Late hours only.  You can also
reach us toll-free uucp thru Merit if you have a local node.  I think
this means most of Michigan, Washington DC, and Boston.  1200 baud
at the moment, tho we'll have Trailblazers by the end of next week.
Write me for details (scs@iti.org, ...!sharkey!itivax!scs).
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.