[news.admin] Re^2: Daily news volume disagrees w/uunet stats

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (07/12/89)

grady@semprini.fx.com (Steven Grady) writes:
>In article <123@uucs1.UUCP> gaf@uucs1.UUCP () writes:
>>the daily average at uunet always seems to be 4 - 5 Mb per day.
>>we should be getting 3 - 4 Mb a day.  Instead we're getting around 6 Mb!
>>Do your averages look more like mine or uunet's?

>Ours look like yours.  I just did a du on /usr/spool/news, and the
>total was about 50 megabytes.

tit%67 wc -c * | tail -1
  163166 total
tit%68 du
  190     .

Maybe this has something to do with it. (contents of .../news/admin)
Most news items are quite short, so the part-block wastage (+directory blocks)
will add to the "du" figures.
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------