[news.admin] No Routing Problems in Europe????

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/11/89)

In article <19403@louie.udel.EDU> HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) writes:
=    I apologise for this going out over the net but I cannotcontact the
=sender directly.
=    despoix@imag.fr, I was informed that your mail to me bounced but not
=what the mail actually was. Please could you resend via another gateway or post
=to the net.
=
=        Thanks,
=
=                        Mike Higgs
=
=School of Computing,              JANET : higgs_m@uk.ac.lancsp.p1
=Lancashire Polytechnic,           EARN  : higgs_m@p1.lancsp.ac.uk
=Preston,
=U.K.  PR1 2TQ.

And I thought they didn't have any routing problems or mail bouncing
in Europe!

Then why do we have this message going to the US, to enable two Europeans
(one in Britain, the other in France) to communicate with each other?

This illustrates that even EUnet is not perfect, and shouldn't charge
rates as if it were.

UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

pso@etana.tut.fi (Solanti Petri) (07/12/89)

From article <8612@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US>, by wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul):
> And I thought they didn't have any routing problems or mail bouncing
> in Europe!

Of course it happens sometimes. Router can be down for some reasons or
one machine may disappear from the net or new software release is buggy ...
But I suppose that Eunet is one of the best organised computer network
in the world.

> Then why do we have this message going to the US, to enable two Europeans
> (one in Britain, the other in France) to communicate with each other?

Perhaps it's for ensuring that someone finds this message. Not everybody
is reading eunet.general.

> This illustrates that even EUnet is not perfect, and shouldn't charge
> rates as if it were.

Show me one perfect thing on the earth created by a human!
The question is not which system is perfect, but which one
is the most reliable.

--
          Petri Solanti          Tampere University of Technology
UUCP:     pso@tut.UUCP           Signal Processing Laboratory

sjl@ukc.ac.uk (S.J.Leviseur) (07/12/89)

In article <8612@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
| In article <19403@louie.udel.EDU> HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) writes:
| =    I apologise for this going out over the net but I cannotcontact the
| =sender directly.
| =    despoix@imag.fr, I was informed that your mail to me bounced but not
| =what the mail actually was. Please could you resend via another gateway or post
| =to the net.
| =
| =        Thanks,
| =
| =                        Mike Higgs
| =
| =School of Computing,              JANET : higgs_m@uk.ac.lancsp.p1
| =Lancashire Polytechnic,           EARN  : higgs_m@p1.lancsp.ac.uk
| =Preston,
| =U.K.  PR1 2TQ.
|
| And I thought they didn't have any routing problems or mail bouncing
| in Europe!
|
| Then why do we have this message going to the US, to enable two Europeans
| (one in Britain, the other in France) to communicate with each other?

Neither Lancashire Polytechnic (p1.lancsp.ac.uk), nor as far as I can tell
imag.fr is on EUnet. There is an imag.imag.fr which is probably the address
Mike Higgs is trying to reach.

| This illustrates that even EUnet is not perfect, and shouldn't charge
| rates as if it were.

I really don't think this is EUnet's problem. We cannot be held responsible
for misaddressed mail.

	sean

I cannot speak on behalf of EUnet, but I am quite happy to speak on behalf
of UKnet.

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (07/12/89)

In article <8612@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>In article <19403@louie.udel.EDU> HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike Higgs) writes:
>=    despoix@imag.fr, I was informed that your mail to me bounced but not
>=what the mail actually was. Please could you resend via another gateway or post
>=to the net.
>And I thought they didn't have any routing problems or mail bouncing
>in Europe!
>
>Then why do we have this message going to the US, to enable two Europeans
>(one in Britain, the other in France) to communicate with each other?
>
>This illustrates that even EUnet is not perfect, and shouldn't charge
>rates as if it were.

Well, so AT&T should not charge anything for telecommunications, cause
their net isn't perfect?

And neither should tymnet?

Why should somebody not charge anything for service, he offers?

The unido rates are becoming reasonable these days. A lot of my mail
keeps bouncing - in USA; european mail works pretty good.

Of course, EUnet is not perfect.

but the service at unido is very much woth the charges.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my Ego, I want it caught and shot.

despoix@imag.imag.fr (Frederic DESPOIX) (07/13/89)

Refering to articles :
	<3043@netmbx.UUCP>, hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken)
	<8612@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US>, wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul)
	<19403@louie.udel.EDU> HIGGS_M%P1.LANCSP.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Mike
	Higgs)

	Sure, there are problems sending mail to my fellow british european
citizen. It is now the fourth mail i send over to Mike.
Strangely, he receives subject lines, but no contents. Thus, one may
conclude the addresses i used are valid (our guru said that too).

	Could it be a site, for money reason, decide not to send the helpful
content of my mails, nor send any error message back to me ?
More seriously, it can be a misunderstanding during routing from imag.imag.fr
to higgs_m@p1.lancsp.ac.uk. Hence, somewhere in a log file my mail disappeared.

	Anyway, this all is one more reason for people thinking there will be
no EUROPE in 1992. But this is no reason to laught at EUnet which works
perfectly most of the time.
Simply one can argue about the choices some countries did for the mail service,
and the fact mail to european sites costs 1100 F/Mo (180 US$) and mail to the US
costs 1000 F/Mo (160 US$). Physicaly explainable, politicaly strange !

				God save the Queen, et vive la France.

					Frederic DESPOIX.

 DESPOIX Frederic,				despoix@imag.imag.fr
 Laboratoire de Genie Informatique		despoix@imag.Fr
 Domaire Universitaire
 BP 53x						despoix@imag
 38401 SAINT MARTIN D'HERES CEDEX		uunet.uu.net!imag!despoix
 France

dboyes@brazos.rice.edu (David Boyes) (07/15/89)

This is a test. Please ignore.