[news.admin] usenet distributions

fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) (07/12/89)

I would like to post an article for distribution in West Germany only, but
our /usr/lib/news/distributions file only has codes for local, na, usa, world,
etc.

There must be more distribution codes than this.  Where do I find them?
--
Fred Fierling    Tel: 604 875-1461   Microplex Systems Ltd, 265 East 1st Avenue
uunet!mplex!fff  Fax: 604 875-9029   Vancouver, BC, V5T 1A7, Canada

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (07/13/89)

In article <316@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>I would like to post an article for distribution in West Germany only, but
>our /usr/lib/news/distributions file only has codes for local, na, usa, world,
>etc.
>
>There must be more distribution codes than this.  Where do I find them?

I doubt that there is an master list anywhere. Also there is no easy way
to post to a distribution you are not part of, this is one of the reasons
why many of the usenet sites in Toronto get the usa distribution.

--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (07/13/89)

In article <316@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>I would like to post an article for distribution in West Germany only, but
>our /usr/lib/news/distributions file only has codes for local, na, usa, world,
>etc.

(Fred is in Canada; I don't know why he has a usa distribution available.
I suspect you aren't configured right, Fred)

You cannot post to a distribution that your site is not a member of.
How would your article reach West Germany if you specified that no
sites other than West German sites should receive it and you don't have
a direct link to a German site?

The only way is to mail your article to someone in West Germany and ask
him or her to post the article for you with a German distribution.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/14/89)

In article <316@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
   I would like to post an article for distribution in West Germany
   only, but our /usr/lib/news/distributions file only has codes for
   local, na, usa, world, etc.

   There must be more distribution codes than this.  Where do I find
   them?
   --
   Fred Fierling    Tel: 604 875-1461  Microplex Systems Ltd, 265 East 1st Ave
   uunet!mplex!fff  Fax: 604 875-9029  Vancouver, BC, V5T 1A7, Canada

In article <464@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes
   I doubt that there is an master list anywhere.

That's right - distributions are just things that two consenting sites
put into their corresponding sys file lines.

In article <3387@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
   You cannot post to a distribution that your site is not a member
   of.  How would your article reach West Germany if you specified
   that no sites other than West German sites should receive it and
   you don't have a direct link to a German site?

   The only way is to mail your article to someone in West Germany and
   ask him or her to post the article for you with a German
   distribution.

This sort of issue has been examined before, though in a different
context.  Still, very similar problems and solutions arose.  Suppose
we consider a news distribution to be similar to a hardware network
that supports broadcasts.  Then machines not "attached" to that
distribution have problems receiving, and sending, "broadcasts" on
that network.

RFC 947 discusses multi-network broadcasting within an internet
context, developed as a mechanism to support the Chronus operating
system.  It uses a forwarder/repeater mechanism, and discusses the
problem of using link-level repeaters - the equivalent of machines
along the way passing a distribution.

RFC 947 refers the reader to RFCs 919 (UDP broadcasting) and 940 (IP
subnetting) as well.  919 notes:
   ...This case is the same as local-network broadcasts; the datagram
   is routed by normal mechanisms until it reaches a gateway attached
   to the destination IP network, at which point it is broadcast. This
   class of broadcasting is also known as "directed broadcasting", or
   quaintly as sending a "letter bomb".
   Most of the complexity in supporting broadcasts lies in gateways.
   If a gateway receives a directed broadcast for a network to which
   it is not connected, it simply forwards it using the usual
   mechanism.  Otherwise, it must do some additional work.
The "letter bomb" analogy seems particularly apropos in the Usenet
environment :-)

How might one build a news repeater?  Suppose sites A and B maintain a
news link, and sites B and C do likewise.  Suppose their sys files
look like:
		A:dist1,dist3::
		B:dist1,dist3:F:

	B:
		A:dist1,dist3:F:
		B:dist1,dist2::
		C:dist2,dist3:F:
	C:
		B:dist2,dist3:F:
		C:dist2,dist3::

dist3 would pass through B without appearing in their local spool for
the local readership - effectively, a news repeater.  The A-B and B-C
links would still carry the dist3 traffic, and B would need to be a
willing party to the arrangement.  But B wouldn't be a part of the
dist3 "hardware network".

Of course, this can't be done in the news world for both social and
technical reasons.
Socially: it wouldn't be polite to pass traffic through an
 intermediary that wasn't receiving the benefit of that traffic for
 its own users (though if they were willing and either friendly or
 well paid, they could make the service available).
 Also, being able to scream somewhere else (a ventriloquist posting?)
 would be quite impolite, because it would be stirring things up
 without waiting around for the repercussions.
Technically: before an article can be gathered up to be sent along to
 other neighbors in the same distribution, it must exist in the news
 spool area of the machine doing the collecting.  This is a lot more
 participation in the transmission process than is required of a
 typical IP router or Ethernet repeater, though those packet
 forwarders must have the packet in memory while shuffling it onto the
 other interface.

All this is why sites that wish to exchange a distribution must have a
direct connection - like setting up a link from your site in Canada to
some site (any site!) in Germany that's on the de distribution.

Perhaps distributions can be considered as protocol families, which
can only be understood and forwarded by routers that are knowledgeable
about that protocol - e.g. a DECnet packet will see a TCP or XNS
router as a firebreak between it and other DECnet networks.

Oh well, those are just some of my musings about analogies that can
perhaps be stretched too far :-)

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (07/18/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul14101433@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <316@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>   I would like to post an article for distribution in West Germany
>   only, but our /usr/lib/news/distributions file only has codes for
>   local, na, usa, world, etc.

>That's right - distributions are just things that two consenting sites
>put into their corresponding sys file lines.

>   The only way is to mail your article to someone in West Germany and
>   ask him or her to post the article for you with a German
>   distribution.

Bob goes on to suggest ways of changing sys files on machines to allow
newsgroups to pass thru without appearing in the intermediate system's
news directories, and suggest of reasons why they cannot be done.

There is a very simple way - build a mail alias on the destination
distribution that will receive incoming *mail* items and automatically
insert them into the *news* network at that point.  B news has a utility
called "recnews" (or is it recmail?  Never mind) that will do this.
I imagine that several of the ARPA news lists are gatewayed into USENET
this way.  It doesn't require the co-operation (other than mail services
and loading) of any intermediate sites.

The difficulties being, of course, that there is no "standard" for this,
and there aren't many (if any) of these set up - (eg: what alias on
what machine corresponds to the "germany" distribution?).  And besides, the
target network may not appreciate getting additional stuff in their network...
And chances are there's no way to get followup's back.

For example, some years ago, someone in Australia was receiving a copy
of "rec.chess" by a sys entry on one of the machines I managed news on
that forwarded articles by mail to him.  For a test, I changed the mail
destination to point at a recnews alias he set up, so that not only
did rec.chess articles go to him and go into his news system, he rebroadcast
it out into the Australian network.  We tested it for one day (maybe two
articles) and we got flamed (gently I may add) for wasting money on other
sites...  Quite rightly as it turns out.  So, we turned it off and he
continued receiving it by mail.  (though, of course he could have made
it a local-only newsgroup)

If you want to send something to another distribution, send it to someone
on that distribution and have them post.  Under-the-table automatic
insertion of articles into other "domains" (particularly when structured
like EUNET) is, ultimately, quite rude.
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

jim@tiamat.fsc.com (Jim O'Connor) (07/21/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul14101433@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> Socially: it wouldn't be polite to pass traffic through an
>  intermediary that wasn't receiving the benefit of that traffic for
>  its own users (though if they were willing and either friendly or

Sounds like mail to me :-).  There's a lot of traffic that goes through this
system (which I don't mind, we all do it, or the uucp mail system wouldn't
work) which I don't benefit (much) from.  Why wouldn't the same work for news?

Perhaps I don't get any benefit out of passing the traffic, but perhaps the
other two sites would return the favor by passing distributions that they
won't keep, but that I will.
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request@tiamat.fsc.com" ***