[news.admin] Geosat transmission of news

In article <3549@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:

>You mean so they could continue to perpetuate the monopoly they held, and
>reap the revenue from same.

Stargate, as I understand it, had to compete in the free market that
exists for general newsfeeds.  I know of no monopoly they held or
tried to hold.  All they wanted to say was that those who took advantage
of the satellite transmission should all pay for it equally.

What was so bad about that?  Why, I wonder did people care about how
stuff they were posting was transmitted?  Why did it matter if those
who got it by downlink were required to pay if other people could get
it by other routes?   That's what a free market in net feeds, if you
want to call it that, is all about.  If Stargate really was cheaper,
people would go to it.  If it wasn't, nobody would bother and their
admonition not to feed wouldn't have meant anything.

What I was commenting on was the fact that people weren't satisfied to
let Stargate live or die through this system of free choice.  They
opposed it and put the share-right messages on their postings.

Consider the fact that I get netnews on my system.  I am fully allowed
to let it stop right here and be a leaf.  There is no requirement that I
share it, and nobody would think of making one!  Could somebody require
me to give out free accounts and free feeds?  Of course not.

Yet the message, "You may transmit this only if your recipients may" is
very similar to "you may transmit this to your system only if you don't
deny anybody access to it on your system."   The former was accepted, the
latter sounds silly.

>Actually, I worked in that industry, and I can't see how satellite
>technology is any cheaper to use now than it was two or so years back.

Perhaps the Stargate folks were way out of line.  Could be.  But it's
my understanding that today a 2400 bps uplink is on the order of
$2,000 per month.  That's was the folks in Vancouver said they were
paying, I think.   I seem to recall UUNET saying that they run around
$50,000 per month of traffic there.    $2,000 per month for all of usenet
seems like a good bargain to me -- cheap enough that some people have
decided it's not even worth asking people to contribute.

A 2400 bps feed can send around 17 megs/day of solid data, that's 17
non-compressed megs sent twice based on 2:1 compression.   That's about
4 times today's usenet volume.  And that $2k/month is about the cost of
one fast internet link.   Usenet currently runs around 55 megs of compressed
data per month, and uunet charges around $2.80/megabyte (TB+ over wats line)

This is $192/month.  You could buy your downlink quickly at that rate,
particularly if you only wanted one downlink per local calling area.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

In article <3413@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <3549@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>
>>You mean so they could continue to perpetuate the monopoly they held, and
>>reap the revenue from same.
>
>Stargate, as I understand it, had to compete in the free market that
>exists for general newsfeeds.  I know of no monopoly they held or
>tried to hold.  All they wanted to say was that those who took advantage
>of the satellite transmission should all pay for it equally.

But that's the rub, you see.  The net as a whole is based on being a broadcast
medium, with the copyright on individual postings (if any) held by the poster.
No one has, until Stargate, been so crass as to attempt to enforce re-feeding
restrictions.

Oh wait.  You tried that too, remember?  And were loudly shouted down.  You
withdrew the proposal too, if I remember (the "anyone can get this unless I
say you can't" attempt to control propagation of r.h.f).

>What was so bad about that?  Why, I wonder did people care about how
>stuff they were posting was transmitted?  Why did it matter if those
>who got it by downlink were required to pay if other people could get
>it by other routes?   That's what a free market in net feeds, if you
>want to call it that, is all about.  If Stargate really was cheaper,
>people would go to it.  If it wasn't, nobody would bother and their
>admonition not to feed wouldn't have meant anything.

No, a truly free market in net feeds (as defined by the current policies of
the net) allows the refeeding of that net feed that you obtain from any
source.  Stargate tried to prevent that, and got a lot of flack.  They also
died.  It seems as though the market DID speak.

They also only fed a "selected portion" of the groups....

>What I was commenting on was the fact that people weren't satisfied to
>let Stargate live or die through this system of free choice.  They
>opposed it and put the share-right messages on their postings.

Putting a "share right" message on your postings is exercising their right
of free choice -- after all, the poster DOES hold the copyright on his or
her postings to this net, and can place restrictions on them if they wish.
What's the problem Brad, don't you like others exercising their rights, but
your rights are ok?

Sounds awfully fishy to me.

>Consider the fact that I get netnews on my system.  I am fully allowed
>to let it stop right here and be a leaf.  There is no requirement that I
>share it, and nobody would think of making one!  Could somebody require
>me to give out free accounts and free feeds?  Of course not.
>
>Yet the message, "You may transmit this only if your recipients may" is
>very similar to "you may transmit this to your system only if you don't
>deny anybody access to it on your system."   The former was accepted, the
>latter sounds silly.

"You may transmit this only if your recipients may" is analogous to "You
can use this posting in rec.humor.funny, but only as long as you don't
prevent others from passing the group and this posting on if they see fit
to do so."

It prevents someone (a moderator, or transmission medium) from saying "you
get this feed from me, you can't feed downstream sites, because I want the
money that feed would generate".

>>Actually, I worked in that industry, and I can't see how satellite
>>technology is any cheaper to use now than it was two or so years back.
>
>Perhaps the Stargate folks were way out of line.  Could be.  But it's
>my understanding that today a 2400 bps uplink is on the order of
>$2,000 per month.  That's was the folks in Vancouver said they were
>paying, I think.   I seem to recall UUNET saying that they run around
>$50,000 per month of traffic there.    $2,000 per month for all of usenet
>seems like a good bargain to me -- cheap enough that some people have
>decided it's not even worth asking people to contribute.

Now, let's see.  Stargate was what, some $10 or $20 a month (this is a
question; I never took them seriously enough to check it out)?  How many feeds
do you need before you pay that $2k, and start pocketing the profits?

Uh huh.  And if you can prevent anyone from refeeding, then the scheme is
obviously to get EVERYONE to pay you the $10 a month.  Now, let's see.  If
we have, what, 9000 sites, at $10 a month, hmmm... that's some $90,000!
Even if you only get 10% of the sites to use your service, you still make
some $7k a month after expenses -- or a profit of 250%!  I'd love to make
that kind of profit margin in our business!

I feel that is a tidy profit, no?  And I bet the Stargate people saw the
gleam in their eyes as well.  Money is like that.

>A 2400 bps feed can send around 17 megs/day of solid data, that's 17
>non-compressed megs sent twice based on 2:1 compression.   That's about
>4 times today's usenet volume.  And that $2k/month is about the cost of
>one fast internet link.   Usenet currently runs around 55 megs of compressed
>data per month, and uunet charges around $2.80/megabyte (TB+ over wats line)

Oh, but think of this.  We feed locally, on a Telebit.  We pay about $.05
per minute, and on a telebit we can feed a meg in about 15 or 20 minutes.
Thus, we pay about $1.00 per megabyte to pick up news over the telephone.

>This is $192/month.  You could buy your downlink quickly at that rate,
>particularly if you only wanted one downlink per local calling area.

Ah, but we only pay $55.00 per month for our feed.  Now how long does it
take to pay for that dish?  And who is going to guarantee that the
programming will REMAIN free for the taking?  Certainly not that company --
once they have a few thousand decoders out there, it only makes economic sense
to start charging for the data!  They'd be awfully foolish to not have thought
of this, and somehow, I give them more business sense than that.

--- (aside follows -- don't un-rot this unless you like seeing people torched,
     and don't say you weren't warned.)

Ogj:
	Jurer'f gur fgernz bs wbxrf gung jnf cebzvfrq gb pbzr sebz Travr naq
	gur bgure argjbexf?  Gur orarsvg bs lbhe ov-qverpgvbany tngrjnl sbe
	gur Hfrarg nf n jubyr?  Jnf gung whfg fzbxr?

	Naq abj lbh unir n arj "vzzvarag naabhaprzrag".  Terng.  Jung fpurzr
	ner lbh jbexvat ba abj gb cebsvg bss guvf argjbex?

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (06/02/89)

Oh, this is getting unbelievably absurd ..

Brad Templeton rants:
) All [Stargate] wanted to say was that those who took advantage
) of the satellite transmission should all pay for it equally.

No, that they should all pay the set amount.  If 20 sites in each region
shared a downlink they could pay equally, but then Stargate would only
collect 1/20 as much as they wanted.  But I'll chalk this error of
Brad's up to simple bad phrasing.  But the rest of what he said is
either dense or crazy!

)   Why, I wonder did people care about how stuff they were posting was
) transmitted?  Why did it matter if those who got it by downlink were
) required to pay if other people could get it by other routes?

People decided that although they were willing to share their thoughts
and some of their work for free, they were not willing to provide it for
free so that others could (1) sell it for money, or (2) prevent some
people from sharing it further.  People are generally accorded the right
to have some control over how their own intellectual creations are used.
Do you have a problem with that, Mr. Templeton?

) What I was commenting on was the fact that people weren't satisfied to
) let Stargate live or die through this system of free choice.  They
) opposed it and put the share-right messages on their postings.

First off, I doubt that these copylefted articles had much impact on the
failure of Stargate.  But even so, are you saying that the authors tried
to go beyond their rights?  Maybe the Stargate people should have
ignored copyright problems, as you did this morning in your message
<3414@looking.on.ca>.

) Consider the fact that I get netnews on my system.  I am fully allowed
) to let it stop right here and be a leaf. ...  Could somebody require
) me to give out free accounts and free feeds?  Of course not.

Relax, Brad.  Nobody would dream of asking *you* to give away something
for free.  But you go right ahead and ask us to give you things free,
and on your terms.  We don't mind.  Really.

Can anyone make head or tail of what Brad was trying to get at by all
the numbers in his last two paragraphs?  I can't.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

<3413@looking.on.ca>
In article <3413@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Yet the message, "You may transmit this only if your recipients may" is
>very similar to "you may transmit this to your system only if you don't
>deny anybody access to it on your system."   The former was accepted, the
>latter sounds silly.

The two statements above are *not* similar. The first: "You may transmit this
only if your recipients may" does not say you have to give anyone access to
your system. It merely states that if you *DO* have sites that feed off of
you, that you must allow them to retransmit the message without restrictions.

It means that you can't say, "well here is news today, but sorry, you are as
far as it can go. You can't send the news on to your leaf sites."

It says nothing about having to give out access to anybody who wants it.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (06/03/89)

I was one of the subscribers in the original Stargate experimental
period and I have been watching this discussion with some interest.
Forgive me for not trimming the references any more than I have, but
some of the remarks lose their meaning if abbreviated.

In article <3413@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <3549@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>
>>You mean so they could continue to perpetuate the monopoly they held, and
>>reap the revenue from same.
>
>Stargate, as I understand it, had to compete in the free market that
>exists for general newsfeeds.  I know of no monopoly they held or
>tried to hold.  All they wanted to say was that those who took advantage
>of the satellite transmission should all pay for it equally.

No, the revenue they collected was 100% voluntary and they had no
monopoly.  Originally the news was fed from cbosgd and then later
moved to emory because it was closer to the uplink.  The only thing
that was fancy about Stargate news was that there was a rather good
filter to eliminate copyright material and the only groups broadcast
were the moderated groups.  The news input to starbeam (the uplink
system) was plain vanilla 2.11 news, the feed to the WTBS uplink was
packaged and filtered (it also discarded articles prohibiting Stargate
distribution).  I agree with Brad's statement (in another article) that
the demise was more political than it needed to be.  I don't understand
why people refused to have their articles propagated via Stargate but
some did.  The initial subscription fees were rather high.

On the other hand, I considered the "rather high" fee reasonable because
it took a serious bite out of my long distance phone bill to get news
at 2400bps.  There was redundancy in the Stargate broadcasts so that if
you missed something the first time around, you got it again later.
That was a blessing for me because I use my satellite dish and there
were plenty of times when I didn't feel like staying tuned to WTBS.
By the same token there were plenty of other times when I didn't care,
so I left it there.  Stargate was a marvelous way to collect the bulky
and expensive (by phone) groups like comp.mail.maps and comp.sources.unix.
As far as I know, each of the original subscribers paid the same amount
whether they were DEC or Bill Kennedy.  The only "monopoly" was that
you had to subscribe, you had to pay, the program material was plain
old unadorned usenet news.

> If Stargate really was cheaper,
>people would go to it.  If it wasn't, nobody would bother and their
>admonition not to feed wouldn't have meant anything.

It was for me, I have the paperwork to prove it.  The Trailblazer
modem and some incredibly generous news neighbors have brought today's
costs into line with what I can afford (ssbn is funded by me), but if
the neighbors' generosity was to diminish, I'd be back on satellite
reception.

>What I was commenting on was the fact that people weren't satisfied to
>let Stargate live or die through this system of free choice.  They
>opposed it and put the share-right messages on their postings.

Yes they did and I'm not sure why.  There was even open hostility
towards the project and the people who brought it into being.  The
idea of paying to get news isn't new now, nor was it then.  There
are still phone and equipment bills to be paid.  In my case some
money went to Stargate Information Services instead of Southwestern
Bell Telephone Company and AT&T.  SIS got fewer $$ than did SWBT and
AT&T, that's why I subscribed.  I never understood the people who
refused to let their articles propagate by a method that was faster
and more cost effective for my site.

>>Actually, I worked in that industry, and I can't see how satellite
>>technology is any cheaper to use now than it was two or so years back.
>
>Perhaps the Stargate folks were way out of line.  Could be.
[ $$ figures deleted ... ]

I don't think so, in my opinion they'd had been better off had they
been able to add some program material other than netnews.  There's
a cost and a risk associated with that and the /usrgroup funding ran
out before they could explore much more than they did.  For what they
did they did well.  The advent of uunet and Trailblazers just swept
over what they had and did.  Had they had more (in my opinion), they
might have been able to expand the subscriber base and done more.

>   $2,000 per month for all of usenet
>seems like a good bargain to me -- cheap enough that some people have
>decided it's not even worth asking people to contribute.

I don't think that's entirely a fair comparison.  The Vancouver folks
have hardware sales to subsidize the service (you can't get it if you
don't have their equipment can you?) and I'm betting that they have
some kind of good deal on transponder time.  I don't know which bird
it's on, but I would guess one of the Anik's which means I'm outside
the footprint (I'm in Texas).  Stargate was on WTBS which meant that
they were on basic cable throughout the US (Canada?) as well as Galaxy I
which has a larger than average signal strength and footprint.

>This is $192/month.  You could buy your downlink quickly at that rate,
>particularly if you only wanted one downlink per local calling area.

That's more in line with my figures and Stargate's.  Given what I paid
for my satellite system several years ago, you'd break even in ten
months.  That's not shabby.  If usenet is directly related to your
business, there are probably some tax advantages too...

Just in case someone gets the notion that I am criticizing Karl or
Brad's remarks, I'm not.  I do have a little experience with satellite
delivery of netnews, a little better than a year's worth, so some of
my remarks might sound critical.  Not so intended, don't take them as
such.  I still think that satellite delivery is a good idea.  Maybe the
fellows in BC have their act together and it can happen.  Let me offer
two scenarios, both in Texas, maybe similar ones near you.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area has two major news "hosses", killer and texbell.
Both are suffering from phone line constrictions and CPU cycles.  A very
similar situation exists in San Antonio where there is one "hoss", similar
circumstances.  The DFW area is looking into secondary distribution to
relieve the "hosses".  That means that leaves might have to call three or
four sites other than killer or texbell for all the groups they want but
it's still local calling.  This doesn't help petro since he still would
have to spend the cycles to get satellite news delivery, but it would
free up some phone time.  Metropolitan areas like Dallas-Fort Worth or
San Antonio could benefit by satellite delivery for the reasons I mentioned.
Better connected areas like Northern California and Chicago have enough
"bones" to be able to handle the congestion.

This requires some organization and discipline, but it isn't the end of
the net as we know it; I think it's a logical follow-on and progression
from uunet.  If certain areas, as Brad suggests, got satellite links they
could propagate quickly and efficiently within their local or reasonable
calling area.  Branches and leaves could call the downlinks and propagate
within their local or reasonable calling area.  We'd save the time and
expense of the current "long haul" connections and maybe give some cycles
and dial tone back to our uunet's, decwrl's, and others.  It wasn't a
bad idea when Stargate did it, but I think it was premature for the net
at large.  Sorry for the length, but I thought it was worth thinking
about for all news administrators.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

In article <1203@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>I was one of the subscribers in the original Stargate experimental
>period and I have been watching this discussion with some interest.
>
>I agree with Brad's statement (in another article) that
>the demise was more political than it needed to be.  I don't understand
>why people refused to have their articles propagated via Stargate but
>some did.  The initial subscription fees were rather high.

If Stargate had not tried to prevent people from retransmitting the feed
once they had it, they would not have had the problem....  In fact the "you
may get this only if you can resend it" copyright notices would have exactly
zero net effect on Stargate -- if they had dropped the redistribution
restriction.

>There was even open hostility
>towards the project and the people who brought it into being.  The
>idea of paying to get news isn't new now, nor was it then.

But the idea of preventing you from resending your news to someone else as a
feed, for free or not, was new, and people did object.

(I wrote...)
>>>Actually, I worked in that industry, and I can't see how satellite
>>>technology is any cheaper to use now than it was two or so years back.
>>
>>Perhaps the Stargate folks were way out of line.  Could be.
>[ $$ figures deleted ... ]
>
>I don't think so, in my opinion they'd had been better off had they
>been able to add some program material other than netnews.

That still doesn't solve the cost problem... which is a problem that
anyone doing this kind of thing has to address!  Somewhere you have to get
back your money that has been invested, and you can only subsidize service
costs with product revenues for a while.  Eventually any service has to
stand on it's own two feet, or fail.

>>   $2,000 per month for all of usenet
>>seems like a good bargain to me -- cheap enough that some people have
>>decided it's not even worth asking people to contribute.
>
>I don't think that's entirely a fair comparison.  The Vancouver folks
>have hardware sales to subsidize the service (you can't get it if you
>don't have their equipment can you?) and I'm betting that they have
>some kind of good deal on transponder time.

They may also decide that it is not realistic to continue to give away the
programming once they have sold a few thousand decoders.... do those things
have the ability to do some kind of decryption?  If so, in a few months your
"free" newsfeed might just turn into a pay-per-view newsfeed.

>I still think that satellite delivery is a good idea.  Maybe the
>fellows in BC have their act together and it can happen.

The only problem I have with the BC people is that there has been no statement
of how long the "free" newsfeeds will last.  Given the law of business which
says "you must make a profit or die", I have my doubts about the seemingly
too-good-to-be-true deal here.

These decoders that are being sold are likely only good for one thing --
receiving the news broadcast that is being uplinked.  When the people who
run this show decide that they want some $100 a month to keep receiving that
data, and that you cannot resend the data once you have it (ie: they decide
to "compilation copyright" the entire stream -- where have we seen that
before?), then what kind of deal have you received?

You will have two choices -- pay the fee, however outrageous, and drop all
your neighbor sites (or buy someone's software to prevent the prohibited
cross feeding, hmmmm....), or scrap the investment in the dish and other
materials you have made, going back to the traditional methods of receiving
and sending news.

Sounds like a good way to get squeezed between the walls if you ask me, and
a nice handsome profit from a captive market in the waiting for a company
in BC.

>This requires some organization and discipline, but it isn't the end of
>the net as we know it; I think it's a logical follow-on and progression
>from uunet.  If certain areas, as Brad suggests, got satellite links they
>could propagate quickly and efficiently within their local or reasonable
>calling area.

Again, providing that you can redistribute what you receive.  This was
Stargate's biggest problem, and if the BC people try this tack they'll
likely get the same kind of response from the net at large.

I'd like to see a statement of some kind from the folks in BC who are doing
this.  Something concrete -- as to the length of service during which the
feed will be available, fees for the future (if any), and a specific
non-revocable renouncement of any intent to compilation copyright the stream
they are sending out.  Only with all of this would I consider tossing my
money in their direction; I don't like being squeezed.  To date I've seen
nothing of the kind from them -- just a "get the news free, buy this nice
cheap decoder and tune our satellite transponder".

Remember the old adage -- if it sounds too good to be true, it is, or more
succintly, TNSTAAFL (there's no such thing as a free lunch).

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (06/05/89)

I give.  I've read a couple of these and can draw no connection between the
subject and its contents.

Geosat is a satellite with an altimeter on it.  What's the connection?

The above was test data, and not the responsibility of any organization.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu  - or - jwm@aplvax.uucp  - or - meritt%aplvm.BITNET

In article <1203@ssbn.WLK.COM> bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>I don't think that's entirely a fair comparison.  The Vancouver folks
>have hardware sales to subsidize the service (you can't get it if you
>don't have their equipment can you?) ...

The same was true (was to be true?) for Stargate, since they were planning
on using proprietary decoding technology.  (Reliable transmission of data
in the vertical interval of video signals isn't trivial.)
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <3569@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Again, providing that you can redistribute what you receive.  This was
>Stargate's biggest problem, and if the BC people try this tack they'll
>likely get the same kind of response from the net at large.

Although I have no positive knowledge, it seems to me that Stargate's
"problem" with redistribution rules has been vastly overblown, to the
point of being ridiculous.  Only a negligible fraction of messages on
the net ever carried redistribution restrictions.  The "response from
the net" was outraged screaming from a tiny minority.  I cannot believe
it had a major effect on Stargate's financial viability.  What killed
Stargate, it seems to me, was extremely slow progress towards putting
it on a commercial footing (as opposed to a technology demonstration)
plus the appearance of UUNET.
--

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/08/89)

In article <1989Jun6.154822.13971@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>Again, providing that you can redistribute what you receive.  This was
>>Stargate's biggest problem, and if the BC people try this tack they'll
>>likely get the same kind of response from the net at large.

In article <3569@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Although I have no positive knowledge, it seems to me that Stargate's
>"problem" with redistribution rules has been vastly overblown, to the
>point of being ridiculous.  Only a negligible fraction of messages on
>the net ever carried redistribution restrictions.

Yes, and Stargate planned to carry moderated groups only, and 99.9% of
those copyright notes appeared in postings to non-moderated groups.
Stargate failed for economic reasons, period.  It simply wasn't set up
in a way that made business sense, and the people that ran it lost their
credibility.  The copyright notices had absolutely nothing to do with it.
If everything else had worked, they would be a minor nuisance at most.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

dl@ibiza.Miami.Edu (David Lesher) (06/08/89)

Actually, I can think of a very good reason to encourage some
type of *sat news transmission. Central America is now well
covered by US television (I spent the last week in Belize
City, and there not being much else to do, watched the Cubbies
on WGN) transmissions.

We could add many interesting folks in that region with a
one-way transmission with some form of low volume back-channel
for postings.

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (06/16/89)

I'm a latecommer in this discussion, so I dont really know how it got
started or who the people in BC are, but a month or so ago I ran across a
company called "XPRESS" who broadcasts several wire services over WTBS and
CNN.  They have a one-time cost of buying their decoder box ($125) and you
supply the cable connection.  I haven't looked into it any further because I
won't have cable this fall, but it does sound interesting.  I recall that
their data transmission was at 9600 baud, but I dont know if it was ASCII.
I dont know if your cable company has to be set up to pass it on, but I hope
not!

It would be GREAT if a company like this would start broadcasting Usenet
News!  I bet they'd sell a lot of $125 boxes.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/19/89)

According to jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers):
[about signature copyrights]
>In any case, can anyone give any legal argument (quoting laws and/or
>cases) that either is anything other than silly?  After all, they seem
>to require that the (highly-automated) news-forwarding software contain
>code that can spot such statements, decode them, understand the English,
>and take appropriate action.

Sorry, no legal opinion here.  However...

The In Moderation Network will, in fact, have people looking at each
message.  That's their "service," to weed out cruft.  So if they don't abide
by my signature, they can't plead ignorance.

And if by some "mistake" they do use my articles, they cannot restrict their
customers from freely redistributing it.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (07/22/89)

In article <737@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
> In article <3413@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> >Yet the message, "You may transmit this only if your recipients may" is
> >very similar to "you may transmit this to your system only if you don't
> >deny anybody access to it on your system."   The former was accepted, the
> >latter sounds silly.
> The two statements above are *not* similar.

In any case, can anyone give any legal argument (quoting laws and/or
cases) that either is anything other than silly?  After all, they seem
to require that the (highly-automated) news-forwarding software contain
code that can spot such statements, decode them, understand the English,
and take appropriate action.  This is clearly far beyond the capability
of any AI software currently on the market, much less the usenet package.
Considering the international nature of usenet, they would also seem to
require similar decoding and understanding in at least all of the major
languages of the world.

Or are you perhaps suggesting that news (and mail) forwarding should be
done only after each article has been reviewed for copyright restrictions
by the machine's owner's copyright lawyer?  This would of course totally
and permanently shut down all email and file transfer packages....

Such requirements are rather like expecting that a copier understand
and obey copyright notices in the material being copied.  This is not
a legal issue at all, even when the copyright notice is on the page
being copied; when it is on another page in the same document, it is
even sillier.  Anyone know of a relevant case?  (Please don't tell me
about cases where a person/organization was held responsible for the
copying; I'm asking about cases that imply that a machine should refuse
to make a copy based a document's contents.)

Perhaps, until the issue is resolved unambiguously by the Supreme Court
(World Court?), or valid AI filtering software has been developed, I
should take the prudent course of not allowing any forwarding of mail
or news on this machine....

All opinions Copyright 1989 by John Chambers; for licensing information contact:
	John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)

jwm@stdb.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (08/02/89)

This subject is a little misleading....

GEOSAT is the name of a satellite with a radar altimeter on it.
NOTHING TO DO WITH NEWS...

Opinions expressed are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily
represent those opinions of this or any other organization.  The facts,
however, simply are and do not "belong" to anyone.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu  - or - jwm@aplvax.uucp  - or - meritt%aplvm.BITNET

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (08/02/89)

In article <17@minya.UUCP>, jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
> 	   Anyone know of a relevant case?  (Please don't tell me
> about cases where a person/organization was held responsible for the
> copying; I'm asking about cases that imply that a machine should refuse
> to make a copy based a document's contents.)

This is a common request WRT audio and video.  For example note the recent
issues with DAT (Digital Audio Tape) that have delayed marketing in the US.
Many want and expect technology that will stop people from copying copyrighted
materials automatically.

Bob Hassinger
...lmrc!hassinger