[news.admin] Translations

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (08/04/89)

If someone would write a program whereby net messages would
automatically be translated into the language of the receiver
(and whereby a receiver could designate which language s/he
wanted), that person would likely be a very popular
individual.

Para un Tejas Libre,

Jeff

--
                   Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

mike@grumpy.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (08/06/89)

In article <5497@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>If someone would write a program whereby net messages would
>automatically be translated into the language of the receiver
>(and whereby a receiver could designate which language s/he
>wanted), that person would likely be a very popular
>individual.
>Para un Tejas Libre,
>Jeff
>                   Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...I'm really sorry, but I just couldn't stop
laughing when I saw this.  Say, Jff, are you serious?  Wow!

I guess Jeff has the right idea here...thats probably not a terribly
complicated program.  Just some grammar, a number of lexicons, some
information about semantics, some information about different cultures
and human society in general...I guess you ought to throw in some
information about the general functioning of the human brain...yeah,
I think any really *competent* programmer should be able to roll this
sort of program off in a couple of weeks.

Did anyone consider posting Jeff'smessage to rec.humor.funny?

PS: If you think I'm being overly sarcastic, consider the reaction if
Jeff's post were made to comp.ai instead of news.admin!

    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
   mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu     /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
 Telephone: +1 505 292 0001  /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!