[news.admin] Strange Postings

maffray@porthos.rutgers.edu (Frederic Maffray) (08/09/89)

Today my system had the following postings appearing on
talk.politics.mideast.  None of them contained any text. For
each one of them, the name in the "From:" line is that of a
regular contributor to the above-mentioned newsgroup. These
postings look like some kind of forgery. What can be done?

# From: Eugene.Schwartzman@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Eugene Schwartzman)
# Subject: Re: Brave Warriors

# From: Ran.Ever-Hadani@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Ran Ever-Hadani)
# Subject: Nazism

# From: Steve.Goldfield@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Goldfield)
# Subject: Re: Hizbullah and hostages (really: Israel and dead babies)

# From: Ari.Halberstadt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Ari Halberstadt)
# Subject: Re: Many Jews are shamed by killing in Israel

# From: Ran.Ever-Hadani@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Ran Ever-Hadani)
# Subject: Re: On Extending Anti-Semitism

# From: Farzin.Mokhtarian@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Farzin Mokhtarian)
# Subject: Re: The Legend of Khomeini

# From: Karen.Kolling@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Karen Kolling)
# Subject: Re: Sharon the Butcher as Defense Minister (or maybe Prime Minister?)

# From: Ari.Halberstadt@mamab.FIDONET.ORG (Ari Halberstadt)
# Subject: ARGHHH...excuse strange postings...

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (08/09/89)

This looks like a failed attempt by someone to gateway t.p.m into
FIDO net; for some reason the forwarded articles (or rather, just their
headers) bounced back.

The funny aspect of this (quite common) mistake, is that at least two
posters whose articles bounced were convinced someone is trying to
impersonate them.  Come on, guys - posting on talk.politics.mideast
does not mean you *have* to be paranoid!

--
	Amos Shapir		amos@taux01.nsc.com or amos@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel