[news.admin] EUnet, unido and USENET

idc@cs.hw.ac.uk (Ian Crorie) (07/04/89)

1. "Why do these Europeans have such a tightly controlled, hierarchical
    organization for moving news?"

  (i)   The cost of international calls between European countries
        is typically pretty high so having just one `gateway' site
        per country makes financial sense.

  (ii)  It is difficult to separate news from mail.   And EUNet
        email just *has* to be organized this way.

        Firstly, top level domains here are geographical.   It makes
        routing so simple if I can route mail for anything.whatever.de
        to a German gateway.   We don't (yet) have anything like MX
        records and what sensible person wants to keep map files for
        most of the world up to date? (The .uk domain has a few problems
        here but that's another can of worms).

        More importantly, EUNet sites have to pay to send mail to
        other countries (in principle; in some countries it is sometimes
        possible to route by another network).

        We also have to pay to *receive* mail from the States.
        Example:
        I'm a german leaf site sending mail to bush@whitehousevax.uucp :
           I pay for the call to unido
           I pay for unido sending to mcvax
           I pay for mcvax sending to uunet
           ...whitehousevax calls up uunet and pays for this

           ...bush replies, calls up uunet and pays for this
           I pay for uunet sending to mcvax
           I pay for mcvax sending to unido
           I pay to call up unido

        I'm not moaning at USENET in the U.S.    The size of it and
        the way it is (not) organized makes it inconceivable that
        you could start charging people for their transatlantic mail.
        It gets better every year as well; costs go down, mail goes
        faster.   The point is that EUNet has to be more organized.

        This involves a lot of administrative work.   I wouldn't want
        to work in the same building just in case I ever had to do any
        of it.   It needs computers, disks, lines, maintenance
        contracts, staff, accounting software for every mail message,
        accounting software for billing, sending bills, sending
        statements, hassling slow customers, liaising with other backbone
        sites, with mcvax, with other networks in Europe, with customers,
        writing newsletters, giving talks at seminars, hustling for
        subsidies, hustling for resources within your company/university.
        I must have missed out a lot.

        Quite a few people have suggested changes in the charging
        policy used by unido.   Even if the current one *was*
        inefficient or unfair (I've not seen enough info to even guess) it
        has the advantage of following the system used for email, avoiding
        some duplication of effort.

2. "Why is EUNet not more like the U.S. part of USENET - a site gets news
    for free from a neighbour then offers a free feed in turn to others
    (everyone pays their owns costs for transferring the news)?"

    (i)  We do that anyway.   It's just the problem of getting news
         into each country in the first place.  So we pay that little
         bit extra.

3. "It seems that German sites are paying more than a little bit extra!"

    (i)  Yes.   They don't seem to have enough sites to spread the
         financial burden around.    Some countries have lots more
         sites (see articles from Holland and the U.K.).
         It would be great if unido could come up with some marketing
         plan to lower the charges to a level attractive enough that
         the German part of USENET really took off.   Ten times as
         many sites paying a tenth as much money, that sort of thing.
         But they are a University, not a company.   Difficult to
         raise the venture capital for such a scheme from their
         accountants (;-).

4. "What would be wrong with a U.S. site offering a European one a
    trailblazer feed bypassing EUNet?"

    (i)  For News?   I don't see anything wrong with that (IHMO)
         as long as they are registered with EUNet for mail.
         Are there really many sites that want news but not email?

    (ii) For Mail?   Really messy.   My national backbone site
         ukc.ac.uk registers me as zzz in the world maps?   They
         wouldn't route mail if it cost them money and I refused to
         pay.   Why should they?

         Someone in the states registers me as zzz.org and forwards my
         mail?   If most of my mail goes to the U.S. anyway I guess this
	 might be cheaper than using EUNet.  It'll cost me the same to
	 mail an EUNet site in my home town as it will to mail someone
         in Texas.   Of course, the poor EUNet site will pay 3 times for
	 the mail I send him as well as for the mail he sends me.   But
	 to him I just look like another U.S. site.   It costs him the same
         as if I were.

	 I don't know.   It just doesn't seem quite right.   Do I find
	 it unsettling because I think of domains in geographical terms?
	 Or because I'm so used to thinking `where is this going and what
	 will it cost?'.   Maybe someone else can think through the
	 financial and technical implications.

         BTW, it occurs to me that this already happens in the case of
         large private networks.   If I mail to (say) someone@xxx.att.com
	 the mail is routed to the U.S. but it might end up on a screen a
	 few miles away in Europe (in principle).

--
[This space rented	Problems with uncomfortable Swinnerton-Dyers?
  by EDUADS]			Try the new K-TEL Rectal Irritant Extractor

In article <588@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> idc@cs.hw.ac.uk (Ian Crorie) writes:

>4. "What would be wrong with a U.S. site offering a European one a
>    trailblazer feed bypassing EUNet?"
>
>    (i)  For News?   I don't see anything wrong with that (IHMO)
>         as long as they are registered with EUNet for mail.
>         Are there really many sites that want news but not email?
>
>    (ii) For Mail?   Really messy.   My national backbone site
>         ukc.ac.uk registers me as zzz in the world maps?   They
>         wouldn't route mail if it cost them money and I refused to
>         pay.   Why should they?

You know this doesn't make much sense to me.  unido says that they won't pass
mail to someone who is getting their newsfeed from the USA.

WHY  NOT????

If site A is connected to ddsw1, then all US mail will go to ddsw1, unido is
not even involved in this case.

If site A wants to mail to someone connected to unido, then the person on unido
who is the recipient will have to pay the delivery charge. This is the same as
if someone in the USA sent mail to someone on unido. Why does unido want to
blacklist them in this case?

If someone on unido wants to mail to site A, then the person sending the mail
will have to pay the normal charges to unido just as if he wanted to  send
mail over to the USA. Why does unido have a problem with this?????

In other words, the traffic inside unido still gets paid for, and the traffic
outside unido is none of unido's business. They just have to disable passing
mail from outside unido to other sites outside unido. but since the sites that
are outside unido already have another path for such mail, then there is no
problem with this.

Unido doesn't stop me or charge me to send to one of their customers, so why
should they be concerned if someone next door to them geographically does the
same thing?

Why does unido insist on blocking *ALL* mail to/from such a site? Just block
mail from outside unido to another place outside unido. that's what AT&T did
here. You can still send to and from AT&T, but not pass thru it.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my
life there.

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/09/89)

In a couple of articles, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>If there are places such as this one in Italy and the other one someone told us
>about in the Netherlands that are receiving news from USA through a different
>route than EUUG does, then why don't others ask if they could feed off of them
>rather than off of unido? Surely a call to Italy would be cheaper than a call
>to the USA.
>
>Or even better, why doesn't EUUG feed off of those sites? It would be much
>cheaper than paying for transatlantic phone calls, eh?

Because those who run EUnet feel that such feeds are too tentative and not
sufficiently reliably -- they can be cut off at the whim of management. And
because there are only a small number of such feeds, if this does indeed happen,
there is not enough redundancy to prevent the network from collapsing.

EUnet is dominated by Universities and Businesses, and to them this reliability
issue is more important than the cost. To the small, private, hobbyist site,
cost is more important than potential reliability problems. Ne'er the twain
shall meet, at least until the recent decision by "unido" to permit small sites
to obtain a "joint" feed and split the cost.

>You know this doesn't make much sense to me.  unido says that they won't pass
>mail to someone who is getting their newsfeed from the USA.

I believe that means they won't pass mail to someone who does not subscribe
to their mail service -- regardless of where they get their news.

>WHY  NOT????
>
>If site A is connected to ddsw1, then all US mail will go to ddsw1, unido is
>not even involved in this case.
>
>If site A wants to mail to someone connected to unido, then the person on unido
>who is the recipient will have to pay the delivery charge. This is the same as
>if someone in the USA sent mail to someone on unido. Why does unido want to
>blacklist them in this case?
>
>If someone on unido wants to mail to site A, then the person sending the mail
>will have to pay the normal charges to unido just as if he wanted to  send
>mail over to the USA. Why does unido have a problem with this?????

Because in unido's view, if these people routed their mail through unido in the
first place, and paid for it, there would be a greater number of people to
spread the overhead to, and the entire game would be cheaper for everyone.

The problem with this is, that unless you have a sudden influx of new sites
subscribing to unido all at once, and rates going down correspondingly, many
of the private sites in Europe CANNOT AFFORD to join EUnet in hopes that someday
their participation will result in lower rates. And aren't even inclined to as
long as there is the suspicion (and confirmation of sort in recent postings
by various unido admins) that unido is using part of the money for non-EUnet
costs, and is thus charging them more than they should).
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

ag@laura.UUCP (Anke Goos) (07/16/89)

 Hi folks,

there had been lots of articles in last weeks concerning
unido in Germany. I can't even find back all of the arguments.
Nevertheless I would like to clear some of the misunderstandings
about EUnet in Germany.

About my person: I'm responsible for information of German
users in the postmaster team of those students who
are running the backbone here and have to be paid by
EUnet users. (At least for part of their efforts :-)

  >There had been the argument that Unido would demand some
  >sort of monopoly for the distribution of the international
  >Newsgroups inside Germany.

This is certainly not true. Nor would we really be able to do this.
What we *are* doing though is asking the EUnet participants
not to further redistribute the international newsgroup we get
via mcvax without letting participate the third-party in the
costs all EUnet members have to carry for the international
News.
This is in the intention of "The more participate, the
cheaper it will be for the individual site". Our recent cuts in
tariffs and costs for international mail and news proves that
this is the way to continue.

  >Why is the Unido backbone still at the University if this
  >doesn't support EUnet activities?

In fact, our department of computer science gives us some
gentle pushes to buy a machine for the postmaster activities
(like replying mail, writing documentation, testing software, etc.)
at the cost of those EUnet people who really get our support.
I can really understand this, (the more as I see and suffer from
the load average of this very machine :-(( now.

The *real* support from the university is in the
infrastructure of hardware and people the university provides
easily: For example the laserprinter and copy-service for documentation,
the accounting-department for charging of costs, part of the
secretary of our department, space for PD software, etc. Up to now
these cost-worthy advantages for the EUnet users balance out the
restrictions by university bureaucracy.

Nevertheless there had been the idea around since last year to get
indepedant of the university and form a non-profit organization
like UUnet or the Danish backbone in the long run.

  >Why does Unido not open their figures?

Personally I would prefer to show a much better transparency
than we are (not) giving now. One problem is that our project
is tied into the bureaucracy of a university which wouldn't
like to open their accounts.
Note that university departments in Germany normally are *not
supposed* to do what we are doing here. This probably is also one reason,
why the German EUnet suffers a severe lack of secondary-feeders
for the news. It would cost those universities who already get
teh news some energy and fight against rules to officially let a
company use the modem ports of a university.

  >Domain .de open for Non-Eunet sites?

Yes. The international top-level domain .de is also open for
Non-EUnet sites.  As always, a registration is needed to have
someone at hand for charging any costs which may easily occur
through transatlantic data.  The sites only have to be
a member of one of the official networks in our country. (Note that
this is a rule laid on the Europeans by the American
authorities, it's not our idea). That means applying the X.400
network DFN (which you may well find under dbp.de), German
EARN (which probably will not show any .de-address until
migration to X.400), the small German CSnet, or EUnet.

You think there has to be a trap here?  Sure: Unido only
registers (paying) EUnet participants. We don't want to give
any active service to a Non-EUnet site from Germany, as this would
suck of energy and money for EUnet members who are participating
in the costs.

Imagine what would happen if we would support organizations by
using the EUnet lines which are not participating in the overall
costs: A long row of those sites from here to Munich to Hambourg
to Berlin to .... In fact this row is already existing somehow under
the name of so-called Subnet, but read further.

  >Blacklisting of Non-EUnet sites?

This certainly is a black chapter. There is no blacklisting of
Non-EUnet-sites here at this time. But you may have heard the story
about those Italian subnet-sites who had used a stolen NUI for
their data transfer with US. In affect these have not been authorized
anymore to send their mail via Unido.

Besides there had been the idea around some weeks ago not to
support any more Subnet-e-mail via Unido until this group of people
would come up with charging the economic tariffs which
had been found for them by both parties last year.
In fact the Subnet seems to have had problems with German bureaucracy
of founding an organization for half a year :-) until some days
ago.

  >There had been the accusation that "little boys pay rates for
  >big boys" here?

This is totally true if an individual person would have to subscribe to
our EUnet services which only apply for a whole organization.

Originally it has been EUUG policy only to accept organizations
as members. Also no-one would have thought in the early 80ies
that an individual might afford a (Unix) machine for his own
mail-access. Times have changed now. Nevertheless our
university bureaucracy still isn't able to charge individuals
for an mail-access nor do we want to have our ports bursting by a
lot of machines calling.

Instead the demand of individuals should better be served in a
decentralised and cheaper way for the EUnet users:
Via secondary-feeders, public bulletin boards
and the unformal way the subnet is developing. Everything under
condition that these participate for a fair price in the overall
costs for EUnet!  There had been a common agreement with the
subnet people about feasible contributions for this:

10 DM/~4,5$  per month/personal site for registration + mail support
or
30 DM/~18$     "  +  participating in the whole of the news

plus volume-based tariffs for their international mail.

  >What the hell is unido doing with trailblazer if not using
  them for reducing the costs?

Using the trailblazer to reduce costs by exchanging data with
any other national backbone or EUnet site!
(Note that the star topology of EUnet only applies for the high
volumes of news, not for mail. Also note that X.25 is much more used
in Europe for long-distance calls than in US.

Unfortunately there aren't such a lot of German sites at this
time using high-speed modems.
Every German who is interested to participate in the offical
"field experiment" of the German PTT for modified trailblazer
on German telephone lines  may well ask me for the address
of the responsible. Anyway I definetely know that
they want to legalize these modems up to next year.

But although trailblazer are a way to reduce costs, our
(already ordered) leased line to mcvax would reduce costs
for EUnet users even much and offer other possibilities than
a telephone line would do.

  >Why does Unido not take donations?

We would like to take hardware, but there aren't that much
companies volunteering :-( !

Anyone out there sponsoring our postmaster-machine, for work of 7 people
at the same time, supporting iso-migration and other features we would
be pleased to tell ?

No wonder, that only two of 19 national EUnet backbone sites are
situated at companies! The rest is running at universities or
research institutions. Nor had there been any company offering
a "reliable" source for an international news feed. At the same time,
EUnet and unido try to stay as self-financing as possible to avoid
any economic dependancy!

There had been a lot of energy and time spent on a EUnet
project by EUUG to apply for subsidies at the European commission
for the European Unix network.
Although Unix is adopted as the standard for a lot of
European governments, it seems that UUCP is not the religion you have
to have there! So, it will always be the users who have to pay
the high price for telecommunication at this side of the pond!

I know that I may still not answering all of your questions.
Please *accept* that conditions in Europe are different from US,
for good reasons causing a different network from Usenet!

If you have any question about sending e-mail into Germany
drop a mail to postmaster@unido.uucp,  as this is the job we are
caring about.

>>>Anke

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Anke Goos - responsible for information of the end-user
at the German EUnet-Backbone         Domain ag@informatik.uni-dortmund.de
University of Dortmund - IRB         Internet: Anke@germany.eu.net
4600 Dortmund 50                     UUCP   ag@unido.uucp
P.O.Box  500 500                     Bang   ...!uunet!unido!ag
Tel +49 231 755 2444                 Bitnet ag@unido.bitnet

 If you explain so clearly that nobody can misunderstand, somebody will.

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/16/89)

In article <1477@laura.UUCP> ag@laura.UUCP (Anke Goos) writes:
>What we *are* doing though is asking the EUnet participants
>not to further redistribute the international newsgroup we get
>via mcvax without letting participate the third-party in the
>costs all EUnet members have to carry for the international
>News.
>This is in the intention of "The more participate, the
>cheaper it will be for the individual site".

By imposing conditions on others you are probably making it harder for
more sites to share the costs.

What you should be doing is charging enough to cover your costs, and
allowing your news subscribers to freely redistribute news.  This will
mean that (a) you will have to charge more, because you will get income
only from those who directly get news from you, but (b) your direct
subscribers will be able to actively solicit new sites to share *their*
costs.

This will allow other sites to get a newsfeed from you and then act as
backbone sites and feed many other intermediate or leaf nodes.  Such a
hierarchical structure minimizes costs.  Your current policy does not
encourage its formation.

Right now, when a site finds another and feeds news to it, its costs do
not get halved.  Instead they will decrease by a very small fraction
(and probably not immediately).  So there is very little incentive for
people to feed news to others.  You will get new sites but very
slowly.

You are taking the position that there is a difference between the US
and Europe and you are constrained by that difference.  In fact there
is a difference between the US and Europe and you are *part* of that
difference.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

In article <1477@laura.UUCP> ag@laura.UUCP (Anke Goos) writes:
> Hi folks,
>
>there had been lots of articles in last weeks concerning
>unido in Germany. I can't even find back all of the arguments.
>Nevertheless I would like to clear some of the misunderstandings
>about EUnet in Germany.

Good...

>  >There had been the argument that Unido would demand some
>  >sort of monopoly for the distribution of the international
>  >Newsgroups inside Germany.
>
>This is certainly not true. Nor would we really be able to do this.
>What we *are* doing though is asking the EUnet participants
>not to further redistribute the international newsgroup we get
>via mcvax without letting participate the third-party in the
>costs all EUnet members have to carry for the international
>News.

Do you apply pressure, or discontinue subscriptions for those who do decide
to redistribute the newsgroups against your wishes?  That is, you do ASK
people to cooperate, or do you effectively put a gun to their head and say
"you will NOT do this under penalty of having your feed shot in the head...."

>This is in the intention of "The more participate, the
>cheaper it will be for the individual site". Our recent cuts in
>tariffs and costs for international mail and news proves that
>this is the way to continue.

It proves nothing.  A free(er) market may have cut costs more by now than
you have.  Absent a full public accounting of your unido income and direct
expenses there is no way to tell.

>Nevertheless there had been the idea around since last year to get
>indepedant of the university and form a non-profit organization
>like UUnet or the Danish backbone in the long run.

Which might be a good idea.

>  >Domain .de open for Non-Eunet sites?
>
>Yes. The international top-level domain .de is also open for
>Non-EUnet sites.  As always, a registration is needed to have
>someone at hand for charging any costs which may easily occur
>through transatlantic data.  The sites only have to be
>a member of one of the official networks in our country. (Note that
>this is a rule laid on the Europeans by the American
>authorities, it's not our idea). That means applying the X.400
>network DFN (which you may well find under dbp.de), German
>EARN (which probably will not show any .de-address until
>migration to X.400), the small German CSnet, or EUnet.

(It's a rule laid on you by the American authorities?)  Which authority(s)
are involved here?  Name 'em.

From my understanding you only need a MX record to have a valid domain
connection if you are passing email via uucp.  That is, if you would agree,
someone could register as an authority an "MX" record for "free.de"; hosts
would be named things like "box.free.de"; the MX would point to the
appropriate place for "free.de" sites.  The mail would never touch your
machine.

Why would anyone need anything other than the physical connectivity to do
something like this?

>You think there has to be a trap here?  Sure: Unido only
>registers (paying) EUnet participants. We don't want to give
>any active service to a Non-EUnet site from Germany, as this would
>suck of energy and money for EUnet members who are participating
>in the costs.

Right.  Unido only allows people to use the ".de" if they pay unido.  I knew
there was a catch somewhere.

>  >Blacklisting of Non-EUnet sites?
>
>This certainly is a black chapter. There is no blacklisting of
>Non-EUnet-sites here at this time. But you may have heard the story
>about those Italian subnet-sites who had used a stolen NUI for
>their data transfer with US. In affect these have not been authorized
>anymore to send their mail via Unido.

Ok, what if someone in Germany, not registered with unido, sends one of the
unido-listed sites email.  It goes to the US (for example), and then back
via MCVAX to unido.  Do you bounce it?  Yes or no answer required; no ifs or
buts.

If the answer is YES, you do bounce it, then you ARE blacklisting sites.  If
the answer is NO, then you are not.

The same holds true if a unido-listed site sends mail to one of the "other"
sites.  If you prevent the unido-listed site from emailing to the non-listed
site, you are blacklisting the site(s) involved outside of your clique.

>Instead the demand of individuals should better be served in a
>decentralised and cheaper way for the EUnet users:
>Via secondary-feeders, public bulletin boards
>and the unformal way the subnet is developing. Everything under
>condition that these participate for a fair price in the overall
>costs for EUnet!  There had been a common agreement with the
>subnet people about feasible contributions for this:

But why should they pay you if they do not use your resources?  These people
are using their own connections to the US, and only ask that you not interrupt
their mail traffic to and from your "blessed" sites.

Email to and from these is no different than mail going to and from the USA.
Why the complaint?

>I know that I may still not answering all of your questions.
>Please *accept* that conditions in Europe are different from US,
>for good reasons causing a different network from Usenet!

But are they?  The clamoring for a different organization than you are
providing shows that the people who want to use the net are dissatisfied
with your organization.  That they want change.  That they are willing to
PAY for that change.   They aren't willing to pour money into what they
perceive as a black hole with no accountability.

For Unido to decide that traffic is "persona non grata" just because mail
comes from a different route (ie: via the US) is equivalent to everyone in
the US saying "Screw Unido, we will bounce all mail passing through unido
-- and cut off Germany."

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip Peake) (07/18/89)

In article <8229@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> What you should be doing is ....

In place of this read "What *I* think you should be doing ..."

You have the right to your opinion - but you being 4500 miles from
Germany, and knowing NOTHING of the European context, I don't give
much for your opinion.

> allowing your news subscribers to freely redistribute news.  This will
> mean that (a) you will have to charge more, because you will get income
> only from those who directly get news from you, but (b) your direct
> subscribers will be able to actively solicit new sites to share *their*
> costs.

You have NOT followed the explanations.
One more time ...

EUnet is the network of the EUUG.
We are (if you like) a club of people who import out news, sharing
costs to reduce the cost for all.

PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.

They are free to get their own news feeds, and set up their own
networks - but we WILL NOT subsidise them.

If you want to implement your ideas then go ahead, but you have absolutely
no right whatsoever to impose your views on us.

root@infoac.rmi.de (Operator) (07/18/89)

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>Right now, when a site finds another and feeds news to it, its costs do
>not get halved.  Instead they will decrease by a very small fraction
>(and probably not immediately).  So there is very little incentive for
>people to feed news to others.  You will get new sites but very
>slowly.

Right now I found the new fees of unido and they honor the re-
distribution of newa: you get a discount of 25% per 4 host fed by
you.

So they have new ideas. But another problem just is: We supply
redistribution, but the interest is low. Everybody has to pay
for X.25 or telephone and always long distance calls.  So it seems
to be the idea of those people: If I have to pay long distance I
could rather poll unido itself ...

(See: I pay abt DM 300/month ($150.-) to unido and abt DM 3000 ($1500.-)
to the Bundespost for the lines. So what is the discussion about?
50.000.000 Bytes of News is a high Volume for X25 - and you pay the
Volume, not the time...)

Rupert
My opinion may be the opinion of my company.
uucp: rmohr@infoac.rmi.de		FAX: 49 241 3 28 22

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/19/89)

In article <1989Jul18.121524.15171@coms.axis.fr> philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip
Peake) writes:
>PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
>Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.
>
>They are free to get their own news feeds, and set up their own
>networks - but we WILL NOT subsidise them.

Well, I re-read what I wrote, and I find that my suggestion was to
recover full costs for providing newsfeeds from those that directly get
news from unido.

I fail to see how that constitutes giving away free newsfeeds, or
subsidizing others.
--

dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (Dave Morton) (07/19/89)

>We supply redistribution, but the interest is low. Everybody has to pay
>for X.25 or telephone and always long distance calls.  So it seems
>to be the idea of those people: If I have to pay long distance I
>could rather poll unido itself ...
Correct - this is how it is. People in the USA dont seem to realise
that an X.25 call here in Germany costs the same regardless of
distance. Also note that shipping News using currently
approved modems (2400 baud) within Germany would work out much more
expensive that X.25, especially from unido to Munich (~600 km = long
distance call). I cant possibly imagine anyone being dumb enough to
ship > 60MB News per month across the pond without cost sharing
and regardless of modem or X.25. Across the pond = very long distance
call = big money !

>(See: I pay abt DM 300/month ($150.-) to unido and abt DM 3000 ($1500.-)
>to the Bundespost for the lines. So what is the discussion about?
>50.000.000 Bytes of News is a high Volume for X25 - and you pay the
>Volume, not the time...)
Also correct, and note this has been pointed out before, unido is not
the limiting factor by far. So why *are* we still discussing this issue ?

Rahul Dhesi suggested an arrangement that would use market forces to encourage
a more even mixture of feeds...

In article <1989Jul18.121524.15171@coms.axis.fr>, philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
> PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
> Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.

Stop.

He didn't say *anything* about giving away free feeds.

He recommended:

	a) Sell feeds at some rate X. This would be adjusted so
	   you make the necessary profit. Divide costs by feeds,
	   and charge your *direct* feeds that amount.
	b) Allow the people you feed to sell their feeds at any
	   rate they like. Dividing their costs by #feeds, for
	   example, or whatever. You don't care... you get paid.
	   If they charge too much people can always get feeds
	   from you.
	c) Sit back and watch a richly-connected network grow
	   thanks to the invisible hand of market forces.

> If you want to implement your ideas then go ahead, but you have absolutely
> no right whatsoever to impose your views on us.

And no ability.

Perhaps you should consider what "impose" means.

What Rahul was doing is described as "making a suggestion".

Do you have a problem with that?
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "A char, a short int, and
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  an int bit-field were walking
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  through the forest..."

philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip Peake) (07/20/89)

In article <8276@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <1989Jul18.121524.15171@coms.axis.fr> philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip
> Peake) writes:
> >PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
> >Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.
> >
> >They are free to get their own news feeds, and set up their own
> >networks - but we WILL NOT subsidise them.
>
> Well, I re-read what I wrote, and I find that my suggestion was to
> recover full costs for providing newsfeeds from those that directly get
> news from unido.
>
> I fail to see how that constitutes giving away free newsfeeds, or
> subsidizing others.

Ok, expressed as simply as I can express it:

We, us, EUnet members can be considered as a group of people who have
clubbed together to spread the exhorbitant telecoms costs for news between
us.

Ok so far ?

Now, along come other people, who say "We don't want to join your club,
we don't want to contribute to your costs - we just insist that you give
us all this lovely news that you have paid the transport costs for."

Now, they CAN say that they consider our partitioning of the costs as being
unfair - and they CAN propose other solutions. But they can't INSIST that
we adopt them - if they don't like it, and they think that there is
a better/cheaper way, then fine - let them go ahead and do it themselves.

All I will say about that is that EUnet has been going for about 10 years
now, and we have LOTS of experience of what does and what doesn't work.
Many people have tried to do it their way, and none of them have
suceeded.

What you seemed to be saying was something like; it doesn't cost you
anything to actually give away a news feed to these people.

This man or may not be true - I insist that it would cost something, if only
the extra CUP cycles and disk space - buts lets be generous, and presume
that we had both to spare (which ISN'T the case ..)

Now, why should I continue to pay EUnet fees, when I can get a free feed
from these new sites ?

Why should anyone ?
So you would end up with a backbone site with no paying connections.
they can't afford to run that, so it all breaks.

It would simply destroy the existing system - and as I said above,
experience has show that nothing else works.

We are not about to destroy our own system - let market forces and
competition do it - as people keep saying!

Let these people set up their own free news scheme, and EUnet will just
go away (actually, it will just take a free feed ...)

Is this clear ?
Can you see where the problem lies ?

Philip

gdelong@cvman.prime.com (Gary Delong) (07/21/89)

In article <8276@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <1989Jul18.121524.15171@coms.axis.fr> philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip
> Peake) writes:
> >PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
> >Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.
> >
> >They are free to get their own news feeds, and set up their own
> >networks - but we WILL NOT subsidise them.
>
> Well, I re-read what I wrote, and I find that my suggestion was to
> recover full costs for providing newsfeeds from those that directly get
> news from unido.

Rahul, I think your still missing what your being told.  It's not your
system, it's their's.

They have the right to do exactly as they wish with their assests, just as
you have the right to chose how you use your assets.

To put it bluntly, I would not be so kind in my responses to you if you
tried to tell me how I should run the network/systems I administer.

Owners of systems do not need "your" permission to do anything that does
not affect a service you are paying them for.  And most would not welcome
your intrusions into things that are none of your business.

This entire discussion upsets me (maybe you couldn't tell 8-) ).  I keep
seeing those with nothing at stake trying to tell those who have put forth
the money and effort to accomplish something how they could have done it
so much better if only....   Well, I'll listen to your "if onlys" when your
investment in my network gives you some right to criticize, or when you
show me something "you" have built that works better.

Apologies to the rest of the net for the tone of this posting, but I
finally just had to say it.

--
  _____
 /  \    /   Gary A. Delong, N1BIP   "I am the NRA."  gdelong@cvman.prime.com
 |   \  /    COMPUTERVISION Division                  {sun|linus}!cvbnet!gdelong
 \____\/     Prime Computer, Inc.                     (603) 622-1260 x 261

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/21/89)

(It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)

--
Ross M. Greenberg
UNIX TODAY!             594 Third Avenue   New York   New York  10016

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (07/22/89)

In article <1989Jul20.102927.26127@coms.axis.fr>, philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
 >Ok, expressed as simply as I can express it:
 >
 >We, us, EUnet members can be considered as a group of people who have
 >clubbed together to spread the exhorbitant telecoms costs for news between
 >us.
 >
 >Ok so far ?
 >
 >Now, along come other people, who say "We don't want to join your club,
 >we don't want to contribute to your costs - we just insist that you give
 >us all this lovely news that you have paid the transport costs for."

WRONG.  Here is what Rahul said, "as simply as I can express it":

Let's say that it costs $10,000/month to ship the full news distribution
across the pond to unido.  Let's also say that you have 10 sites that
feed directly off unido.  You should charge each of those 10 sites
$1,000/month for their newsfeeds.  Now, let's say that site A, which
gets its feed off unido, can get 9 other sites to feed off it.  That
means that site A can charge each of those 9 sites $100/month, and
it pays $100/month.  Site A1, who gets a feed off site A and pays
$100/month for this, feeds three other sites.  This means that those
three other sites only have to pay $25/month, with site A1 also chipping
in $25/month towards the $100/month that it owes site A.

So, at the end of every month, site A owes unido $1,000 for their newsfeed.
However, since site A is feeding 9 other sites and charging each of them
$100 for their feed; this means that site A only has to come up with another
$100 to make $1,000.  And, since site A1 is charging three other sites
$25/month for their feeds, that means that site A1 only has to come up
with another $25 to make the $100 that it owes site A.  unido doesn't
have to know anything about this, other than the routing info to get
the mail where it's going.  unido only knows that it gets $10,000 every
month to subsidize their costs.  They don't know that there are
some sites, three levels down, that only pay $25/month for news; they
don't have to.  They handle collection from the top-level sites that
they feed, in turn, the top-level sites handle collection from the
second-level sites that they feed, and so on.  This rate structure
makes it very cheap to get news on your personal machine if you
are four or five steps down the ladder: You could end up paying
only about $5 or so a month for a full newsfeed, or you might even get
it for free!

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP smart    : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

udo@watzman.UUCP (Udo Klimaschewski) (07/22/89)

Hello to all ...

From philip@coms.axis.fr (Philip Peake):
] You have the right to your opinion - but you being 4500 miles from
] Germany, and knowing NOTHING of the European context, I don't give
] much for your opinion.
This is for sure not a very good way to handle others opinions.
(But an easy way)

] One more time ...
Until even the last luser at the end of the last site accepts it?

] PLEASE DON'T TELL US THAT WE HAVE TO GIVE MONEY TO OTHER PEOPLE.
] Because giving away free news feeds is exactly that.
Maybe disabling your caps-lock will result in more convincing arguments ;-)

] They are free to get their own news feeds, and set up their own
] networks - but we WILL NOT subsidise them.
Yeah! That hits the spot! Exactly the way, EuNet handles arguments,
discussions and Network-philosophy.
But sorry, I dunno if you are one of the ,,representativs'' of EuNet,
people at unido and mcvax are much more open for discussions on that
toppic and sometimes they even get convinced by arguments.

] If you want to implement your ideas then go ahead, but you have absolutely
] no right whatsoever to impose your views on us.
So, set up your own one-man-network and be happy.
If everyone would have the same idea of the net, it would not exist for
sure. Well, take a look over there just behind uunet, the news and mail
are distributed in the way, we just suggest.
So, why does EuNet not cut off from uunet? Whole Usenet is is working
just the way, you want to forbid.
C'mon, we should work for the net, not against it. I have surely
understood all arguments, discussing them for more than a year.
Alot of things, as I take a look to unido, have changed, just because
of the need to have some sort of change.
It is surely true, more people - less fees. But this is a theoretical
model, not prooved to enforce a growth of the net here in europe.
As an administrator of an Eunet-site, also an active sub-member, I
just want to help people, who simply haven't got the money, participating
on the net.
Surely, this will result in higher fees for me, but I think it's worth it.
If there is no way to work with EuNet *together*, it wont be a mistake
of us (sub).
I won't drop one single tear when I cut off from EuNet, but for sure
will have a better feeling when working on our own net, which works
exactly like usenet. Maybe, in a few months, even you will join us.
I hope to get an active member!

Regards
	Udo

--
Udo Klimaschewski    [udo@watzman.UUCP]     [...uunet!mcvax!unido!watzman!udo]
                      Gebt mir ein Loch und begrabt mich. [Frei nach Fisher Z]

In article <917@utoday.UUCP>, greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
> (It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)

This is a joke, right? I mean, UUNET doesn't expect anyone to pay extra because
they're getting a feed from us that we got from UUNET.

In article <917@utoday.UUCP> greenber@.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>(It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)

Not quite:

I have received a very disturbing piece of email.  I'm waiting for
permission to publish it here -- the mail was from a German _commercial_
site, and stated (loosely):

	"We can't get a feed from uunet -- they won't accept our
	connection.  We have tried for a direct link, and were told no."

I requested more details and permission to post the e-letter.  Haven't
received a reply yet.

If this is true then uunet is hardly what one would consider a
"common carrier" of netnews.

Note that this report is at present UNVERIFIED.  I will post more details if
and when I receive a reply to my letter asking permission to post the email
I received.

Comments from the uunet people?

--

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) (07/23/89)

In article <917@utoday.UUCP> greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
> (It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)

yes, with one _major_ difference.  uunet doesnt care if you
redistribute your news, eunet does.

-wayne

seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (07/24/89)

wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:

> In article <917@utoday.UUCP> greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
> > (It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)

> yes, with one _major_ difference.  uunet doesnt care if you
> redistribute your news, eunet does.

Apparently, some things just don't get through, across the pond.

First, EUUG is a closed society of Unix users, and EUnet is a service to the
members.  This means it you are not a member of the EUUG, you cannot use
EUnet.  This is why some people refer to it as a club.

Second, at least in some european countries, the PTTs hold a monopoly on
datacommunication (they own the lines, and are in turn owned by the state),
and will not tolerate commercial third party traffic of substantial volume.  I
am not an expert on these things, but do know that if the Danish part on EUnet
where to allow non-EUUG members on the net, the PTT could easily put us out of
business.  Not only could they, but they probably would too.

Thus, at least in Denmark, EUnet will have to stay a member service only.  It
is my impression that there are similar conditions in most of the other
member-nations of EUUG.

Because the PTTs will not allow non EUUG members on EUnet, news cannot be
redistributed freely.  It can only be redistributed to other EUUG members.
EUner cannot allow the members to redistribute news freely to non-members,
because the PTTs will not allow EUnet to.  It is not in our hands.

As to pricing, again the EUnet is a service to EUUG members, which can be
considered a club.  The rule, that all sites on EUnet share the costs equally,
have been decided in a democratic fashion within the EUUG.  The price policy
is therefore chosen indirectly by the members of EUUG, and, I think, should
not be questioned by outsides.  It is none of their business.

The situation here in Europe is very different fron the situation in the US.
Please don't think it is the same.  Those of you who do are making a big
mistake.

As I said before, I am not an expert on these political issues, and I might
have made some mistakes in the above description of the European situation.
If I have so, please correct me.

I hope this discription of the conditions EUnet work under can help you
understand why EUnet is not like USENET and why EUnet is not like UUNET.
Eunet are subject to other rules and restrictions than the networks in the US,
and is quite naturally different.  Please try to understand this.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

woerz%isaak@isaak.uucp (Dieter Woerz) (07/25/89)

In article <5084@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>	a) Sell feeds at some rate X. This would be adjusted so
>	   you make the necessary profit. Divide costs by feeds,
>	   and charge your *direct* feeds that amount.

That 's the first problem in my eyes. For this arrangement you have
to have a sufficient large amount of feeds or they must have some
feeds already, or the "direct" feeds have to pay very high prices for
the feed. The second will stop many connections from being
established in the first time, so the costs will remain high.

>	b) Allow the people you feed to sell their feeds at any
>	   rate they like. Dividing their costs by #feeds, for
>	   example, or whatever. You don't care... you get paid.
>	   If they charge too much people can always get feeds
>	   from you.

This is a second problem over here. If I remember correctly, most or
nearly most of the news reading sites are Universities and public
research organizations. Both these institutions have problems
"reselling" secondary news feeds to commercial or personal sites and
billing them, I think, because of the kind of contracts you have to
have with the receiving sites. And you can't get money from someone
without a contract with the person (difficult for Universities to
deal with, as someone said in an earlier posting) or company.
I think that's why unido introduced the tariff reduction, so that for
every 5 fed and paying (unido) sites, you get a reduction of you
news bills of 25%. So Universities can refeed without having to
hassle with contracts and their accounting department.

>	c) Sit back and watch a richly-connected network grow
>	   thanks to the invisible hand of market forces.

Perhaps some of you got now a better understanding, why there is no
such "richly-connected" network as in the states.

An other problem may lay in the fact, that EUnet (or dnet) is not too
well known here. I think, that in most Universities here, most
students are not allowed to read or post mail and news, because the
cpu-time is billed to the project they 're working on. For this
reason, maybe they even don't know about mail and news and don't
request a connection to news in their company after having finished
studying.

Dieter Woerz
ISA GmbH, Azenbergstr. 35 D-7000 Stuttgart-1 W-Germany
UUCP:           {pyramid!iaoobel,uunet!unido}!isaak!woerz
BITNET/EARN:    woerz@ds0iff5

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/25/89)

In article <5198@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <917@utoday.UUCP>, greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>> (It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)
>
>This is a joke, right? I mean, UUNET doesn't expect anyone to pay extra because
>they're getting a feed from us that we got from UUNET.
>--

Nope. It sounds to me that EUNet is taking the cost of getting articles,
which includes things (for them) like telecommunications charges on a per
packet basis, and spreading it to their members.  Trying to provide a
service and keep the cost down.

Is anybody making a profit from EUNet, I wonder?

--

In article <WAYNE.89Jul23094319@dsndata.uucp> wayne@dsndata.uucp (Wayne Schlitt) writes:

>In article <917@utoday.UUCP> greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>> (It sorta sounds like EUNet is simply a European version of UUNET....)
>
>yes, with one _major_ difference.  uunet doesnt care if you
>redistribute your news, eunet does.

That doesn;t sound all that bad, really: nobody forces somebody to join
EUNet.  There is a limited market there.  Given a site paying EUNet's
fees (which don;t seem out of line to me), can't you consider Johann
Sebastian Netfeed taking his feed, charging ten leaf nodes he feeds, and
leaving EUNet holding the expensive bag?

I would think that, eventually, when EUNet becomes the equivalent of UUNET,
that restriction will drop.

I wonder whether or not UUNET would have been so popular if ihnp4 and the
rest of 'em opted to stay instead of go away?

Our fees to UUNET are quite reasonable for the service we get.  The reason
the fees are so low? Because everybody, for the most part, goes to UUNET
for the best feed.  The leaves we all feed may, eventually, go direct to
UUNET one day -- provided the service is still there.

EUNet seems, to me, to be trying to survive.

Can you get a free feed from US commercial sites?

--

cuccia@yak.sybase.com (Nick Cuccia) (07/25/89)

In article <4693@freja.diku.dk> seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) writes:
>Apparently, some things just don't get through, across the pond.

I think that much of this is because of the inflammatory choice of words
used by posters on your side of the pond.  Content tends to get buried
under the fluff (to use a polite word... ;-).

>First, EUUG is a closed society of Unix users, and EUnet is a service to the
>members.  This means it you are not a member of the EUUG, you cannot use
>EUnet.  This is why some people refer to it as a club.

Okay, what do you mean by closed?  Is EUUG limited to big vendors? Does it have
a ceiling on the total membership?  Or is it "closed" in the sense of Usenix
or /usr/group (Uniforum for the non-Unix-literate :-(), that only those who
can dish up the US$40/yr can be members?  If the latter is true, then it
isn't really "closed."  What are the criteria for becoming a EUUG member?
(Sorry, this is peripheral, but a) I'm curious, and b) it seems to have
some bearing on other things said here).

>[PTT monopoly => limited commercial 3rd party traffic,]
>[=> no non-EUUG-affiliated sites on EUNet in Denmark (and possibly)]
>[other European countries.]

The one thing that I do understand about the EEC is that you have eight or
so separate sovereign nations in an area smaller than that of the US west
of the Mississippi (heck, a number of Luxembourgs could fit within the Los
Angeles city limits, and San Bernardino County (in southern California) is
roughly the size of the Netherlands, Belgium, or Denmark).  That means that
there are at least eight PTTs (or, in the case of the UK, Government-
appointed Private Carriers (British Telecom)) to deal with.  Granted this,
I'd give your comments the credence they deserve only in the case of countries
whose PTTs have similar policies to yours.

This does not, however, mean that having a pyramid-based distribution
(with each layer recovering the costs (not necessarily profiting) from
the layer below) isn't a reasonable thing to do where it can be applied.
If unido is allowed to accept payment (for cost recovery or for profit)
for feeds (whether they are to EUUG- or non-EUUG-member sites), why can't
(and shouldn't) those downstream sites be able to do the same for sites
downstream from them?  What's wrong with a tree, rather than a brush (one
root, two levels including the root, and lots of branches) net structure,
in the case of unido?

Curious,
--Nick
          Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb...--Batman
 Nick Cuccia			 System Admin/Postmaster, Sybase, Incorporated
 cuccia@sybase.com                     6475 Christie Av.  Emeryville, CA 94608
 {sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!cuccia                   +1 415 596-3500

seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (07/25/89)

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

> Is anybody making a profit from EUNet, I wonder?

EUnet is a service to the members of EUUG.  EUUG has not started EUnet to make
money, but to provide the members with a service they currently cannot get
somewhere else.  EUUG is a Unix-system User's group, and not a company, so
there is no profit from having EUnet.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (07/26/89)

It seems that the basic disagreement is whether allowing
redistribution of news will actually cost the backbone anything.

Using the calculations previously posted here (not really related to
the real costs and prices), we get the following table ideally showing
that everybody get practically free news:

		Cost to 	Number of	Number of	Own Cost
		get news	sub sites	sites		(ideal)
Backbone:	10,000		   10		   1		   0
1st level:	 1,000		   10		  10		   0
2nd level:	   100		    5		 100		   0
3rd level:	    20 		    4		 500		   0
4th level:	     5		   --		2000		   5
5th level:	     0 (not worth the troubles to charge them).

And of course a site which does not like to have the troubles finding
5-10 sites to feed, can just pay the full charge to its news provider.
Its a free world, right?

So using this scheme, we would have more than 2500 sites getting news
for $5 or less.

The big question ($10,000 :-) is how you manage to persuade a site to
sign up as 1st or even 2nd level, if it can find somebody who is
willing to feed it on the 3rd or 4th level?  If it signs up as a 1st
level site, it will have to find 10 new sites willing to pay $100 for
a news feed from them.  Until then, the price for their news feed is
$1,000!

So instead we may end up with a less balanced hierarchy where the
sites paying to the backbone (1st level sites), and their subsites
really are subsidicing the rest of the news sites (which may or may
not be ok depending on you point of view).

		Cost to 	Number of	Number of	Own Cost
		get news	sub sites	sites		(real)
Backbone:	10,000		    3		   1		   0
1st level:	 3,333		    5		   3		 833
2nd level:	   500		    3		  15		 200
3rd level:	   100 		    5		  45		   0
4th level:	    20		   10		 225		   0
5th level:	     2		   --		2225

And once you have this situation, who is going to change from a lower
to a higher level to equal out the costs?  There is no organization
behind this - remember?  Would you ever expect a new site to connect
directly to the backbone?

And what if a 1st level site goes out of business (because it found
itself a free 4th level feed)?  Who will then pay 1/3 of the backbone
costs?

Will the net survive?

Of course it will!

The backbone just have to find a free 4th level feed as well :-)

From a commercial point of view, news is very strange: It is something
which is very expensive to get in the first place (from the US to
Europe), but once you got it you can duplicate it indefinitely at no
cost.

Since the initial cost has to be payed somehow (unless you have a rich
uncle (Sam?) paying it for you), what better way to do this is there
than to say that everybody who get a copy should pay an equal share of
the initial costs?

Why is this so difficult to understand?  Is it unfair?  To whom?

(Notice that not a single word has been said about EUnet or unido sofar :-)
Unfortunately, the rest of this posting will )-: )

But I still does not understand what all the fuzz is about -
especially not in Germany: Even the highest subscription fee for the
news ($300/month) is only 1/10 of the actual cost for many sites when
you include the transmission costs.  It is not EUnet or unido who is
making the big bucks (if any) on the news - it is the German PTT and
government!

The backbones in EUnet does put on additional charges on the news
feeds to pay for the machines and man-power!  We want to run a
reliable service for our customers - that costs!  Who is suggesting we
should (or can) run EUnet for free?

Just running the Danish backbone (25 news sites, 80 mail sites,
nameserver for .dk, and running a few gateways) is a full-time job,
because we want to run a professional service to our customers.  Our
motto is:

	The mail must be delivered!

and to accomplish that, we have to monitor log files and spool
directories, forward or return failed mail, answer a lot of questions
about E-mail addressing from the customers, maintain the .dk nameserver
information, maintain the Danish uucp maps, play around with sendmail,
etc. etc. etc.  And we have to pay for our own machines too!

Our prices for mail and news are calculated from our expenses
(salaries and machines) to run a backbone with this level of service.

If somebody can suggest a way we can get the necessary income while
allowing our news site to redistribute news to other sites at a
significantly lower price than ours, then we would certainly use it!

But I cannot see how it will work when the sub sites would not give
a single krone to the running of the backbone - please enlighten me!

Let me put it this way:  With our current tight budget, is it worth
the risk of destroying the entire net to allow our own customers to
compete directly with us - on much better terms (lower prices) than
ourselves.

If somebody wants to compete - and they are welcome - then they must
do it on equal terms, i.e. buy the "raw materials" at the same cost we
do - not buy it on a "1/25 share" from us and then sell it at 1/10 of
our price!

--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/26/89)

Rene' answered my question on EUNET's "profit" being zero.  Even if it
were making a profit (which is not the great evil many claim), I
see no problem.

What's all the fuss about, anyway?

--

rob@europa.inmos.co.uk (Robin Pickering) (07/26/89)

In article <570.24C7A4BC@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us writes:

>Let's say that it costs $10,000/month to ship the full news distribution
>across the pond to unido.  Let's also say that you have 10 sites that
>feed directly off unido.  You should charge each of those 10 sites
>$1,000/month for their newsfeeds.  Now, let's say that site A, which
>gets its feed off unido, can get 9 other sites to feed off it.

This sounds like a nice idea but in reality I doubt it would work. Most
[USENET | Eunet] sites tend to be either Academic or Corporate R&D.

Neither of these kinds of site tend to be set up to charge for services (i.e.
USENET feeds). Speaking personally it is easy to get my boss to sign off a bill
for around $600 every three months. It would be practically impossible to get
the infrastructure in place to start charging fed sites etc.

The reason that unido is so expensive is that the folks in Germany seem to
*want* a star network for news. Thus all of the machine resources to feed
the whole of the coutry must be located centrally and paid for out of
subscriptions. It would appear that the major part of the subscriptions paid
in Germany is not the actual shared cost of the Atlantic feed, but rather
resource cost to the University of Dortmund.

In the UK I suspect that one of the reasons news is cheaper is that the
national backbone ukc *refuses* to feed leaf nodes (for news at least).
Only nodes which undertake to feed a large number of downstream sites
get a direct feed, but all nodes pay the same (~$110/Month). Thus ukc
doesn't need as much machine/comms/human resources to support news
and news is therefore cheaper. (This is not the whole picture because the UK
mail network does tend to be fairly star shaped, and other factors such
as number of sites affect costs in the UK too)

If instead of spending large amounts of money upgrading their kit at the
expense of subscribers, unido were to admit that they had limited resources
and encourage the network to become more star shaped, I am sure costs could
be brought down. Sites being faced with a simple choice - enjoying the
benefits of close backbone connectivity at the (small) cost of feeding a
few other sites or becoming a leaf node with no machine cost.

 Rob Pickering
--
JANET:             ROB@UK.CO.INMOS        | Snail: 1000 Aztec West
Internet:          rob%inmos-c@col.hp.com |        Almondsbury

In article <1018@isaak.UUCP>, woerz%isaak@isaak.uucp (Dieter Woerz) writes:
> In article <5084@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >	a) Sell feeds at [cost/#feeds]

> That 's the first problem in my eyes. ... the "direct" feeds have to
> pay very high prices... [which] will stop many connections from being
> established in the first time, so the costs will remain high.

So people get on further down the tree. That's not a problem.

> This is a second problem over here. If I remember correctly, most or
> nearly most of the news reading sites are Universities and public
> research organizations [which can't sell feeds]

This is a real problem, then. If you folks had brought *this* up in the
first place, instead of flaming us for being parochial Americans (in my
case, Australian) there would have been more light and less heat.

Perhaps encouraging a few commercial sites would help...

> >	c) Sit back and watch a richly-connected network grow
> >	   thanks to the invisible hand of market forces.

> Perhaps some of you got now a better understanding, why there is no
> such "richly-connected" network as in the states.

Yeh, between the German Government and you you're not letting market
forces work. It's not entirely your fault, but surely something could
be done. Sight...

> An other problem may lay in the fact, that EUnet (or dnet) is not too
> well known here. I think, that in most Universities here, most
> students are not allowed to read or post mail and news, because the
> cpu-time is billed to the project they 're working on.

Surely your systems can't cost so much that you're still billing by CPU
time. I've got more CPU power at home than an undergraduate would ever
need.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "...helping make the world
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  a quote-free zone..."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |    -- hjm@cernvax.cern.ch

It is also worth noting that there's a lot more to being a central site
than the cost of getting your news.

Being a central site means you get a lot of mail routed through you.
Feeding 10 other sites full feeds is also not free.  It needs disk
space, modems, phone lines, spare CPU cycles and staff to manage it
all.

Many central sites have ended up getting computers just to do news/mail,
in part just to be nice to other people.  They money for this is not
chopped liver.

Why do people in this group insist on caring about the way that other
people run their own computers?  If you don't like what they do in
Europe, put "na" distributions on your articles.  The Europeans will
probably thank you for it.

I think a lot of non-anarchists are slipping into our little anarchy as
time goes by.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (07/27/89)

In article <3704@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Why do people in this group insist on caring about the way that other
>people run their own computers?  If you don't like what they do in
>Europe, put "na" distributions on your articles.  The Europeans will
>probably thank you for it.

"The Europeans" is not a monolithic group that speaks with one voice.
This whole brou-ha-ha began when Europeans posted articles with world
distribution in which they complained about other Europeans.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

jeffrey@algor2.uu.net (Jeffrey Kegler) (07/27/89)

In the comparison between UUNET and EUnet, some have suggested that
EUnet allow second and third order feeds to build up the size of the
net in Europe, in the thought that this would raise volume and lower
prices for all.

It certainly is an attractive idea, but there are some differences.
UUNET started with an almost overhealthy variety of backbones, leaves,
second-order and third-order leaves already existing.  Due to the cost
of throwing all our priceless musings across the pond, EUnet is
essentially starting a net from scratch.

Another issue comes to mind.  If EUnet restricts further distribution
of news by its subscribers, is not violating a host of copyrights that
allow you to distribute materials only if you do not restrict their
distribution to others?

If some copylefted material reaches EUnet and they distribute it,
charging for the costs as they calculate them, good so far.  But am I
to understand they are banning the recipient from further distributing
them?

Finally, a number of posters have said they do not welcome comments
from North Americans about their portion of USENET.  Why anyone not
interested in what we have to say started reading USENET news in the
first place totally escapes me.  That any section of the net wants the
rest not to discuss its administration seems to me to indicate its
administration may be well worth discussing.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (07/28/89)

jeffrey@algor2.uu.net (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:

> If some copylefted material reaches EUnet and they distribute it,
> charging for the costs as they calculate them, good so far.  But am I
> to understand they are banning the recipient from further distributing
> them?

If you receive copylefted or public domain software via EUnet, you can
redistribute it if you want to.  EUnet cannot interfere, and wouldn't want to.

What you are not allowed to, is to provide *non-EUUG* members with a newsfeed,
you have yourself got via EUnet.  This is due to the varying laws in the
different european countries, regarding the national PTTs monopolies on
telecommunications, as I have mentioned earlier.  Whether or not you can
provide other EUUG members with a newsfeed is a matter of structure of the
network, which is an purely internal EUUG (and EUnet) matter.

There is a problem in this, since it is hard to tell where the borderline is
between redistributing some software and a few individual messages, and
providing a (partial) newsfeed.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

ap@unido.UUCP (Axel Pawlik) (07/28/89)

>If instead of spending large amounts of money upgrading their kit at the
>expense of subscribers, unido were to admit that they had limited resources
>and encourage the network to become more star shaped, I am sure costs could
>be brought down. Sites being faced with a simple choice - enjoying the
>benefits of close backbone connectivity at the (small) cost of feeding a
>few other sites or becoming a leaf node with no machine cost.

(I guess you mean "less star-shaped" in your quote, since we
are very star-shaped right now.)

Which is what we are doing right now. Yes, our machine in fact
is limited, though in the moment that is not a problem.
  Since we could decreased the tariff for news, and changed the
overall tariff structure so that a small subscription of newsgroups
costs a relatively small amount, we've experienced a substantial
increase of news subscriptions. This in turn led to an even lower
tariff.
  In addition we encourage news subscribers feeding other sites,
given that all of those take part in the cost sharing. Since
April this year we financially honor subfeeding by allowing 25 %
per five subfeeded sites (as has been mentioned here before). So
by feeding 20 others, you can have your personal news feed for free.

	regards,	Axel

root@infoac.rmi.de (Operator) (08/11/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Perhaps encouraging a few commercial sites would help...

Yes, you are right. I had a conversation with an employee
of a company having leased lined to the US with spare
capacity every night. The argument, why they don't do it is:
The quality of the line/line operator(s) is bad. The line
goes down every 2nd day or weekend. If the newsfeed is down
it will directly influence the companies reputation instead
of mcvax/unido's. Sic!

Rupert

* addresses:  uucp   rmohr@infoac.rmi.de  rmohr@unido.bitnet    *
*             cis    72446,415            Fax    49 241 32822   *