[news.admin] EUnet, unido and USENET, long distance charges

rhealey@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey) (07/21/89)

In article <749@ecrcvax.UUCP> dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (Dave Morton) writes:
>Correct - this is how it is. People in the USA dont seem to realise
>that an X.25 call here in Germany costs the same regardless of
>distance. Also note that shipping News using currently
>approved modems (2400 baud) within Germany would work out much more
>expensive that X.25, especially from unido to Munich (~600 km = long
>distance call). I cant possibly imagine anyone being dumb enough to
>ship > 60MB News per month across the pond without cost sharing
>and regardless of modem or X.25. Across the pond = very long distance
>call = big money !

	What if you were to get sites at X Km apart so as to make it NOT
	be long distance calls? i.e.

	Site A-------Site B------Site C- || -Site X------Site Y----Site Z
		5km	     5km         5km         5km        5km
	 \------------------- 100 - 200 km total -------------------/

	Site a relays to b relays to c etc. that's how we dodge long distance
	charges in the US. Trouble comes when you try to cross a bell zone,
	you gotta find 2 citys in adjacent bell zones that are close enough
	so that calls betwixed them are considered local.

		-Rob Healey

---
#include <std/disclaimers.h>
I do NOT represent the University of Minnesota or any of its dept. or agencys in
any way, shape or form.

root@infoac.rmi.de (Operator) (08/11/89)

rhealey@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey) writes:

>	What if you were to get sites at X Km apart so as to make it NOT
>	be long distance calls? i.e.

The idea is good, but there are not as many sites within a
distance of 15 km PBX-node to PBX-node....

Rupert

* addresses:  uucp   rmohr@infoac.rmi.de  rmohr@unido.bitnet    *
*             cis    72446,415            Fax    49 241 32822   *