[news.admin] DISCUSSION - modification of charter for news.announce.newgroups

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (08/12/89)

I protest the charter of news.announce.newgroups, that the moderator
will not post messages announcing new groups in heirarchies that
are not part of the `traditional USENET list of groups'.

If news.announce.newgroups is to be the place for the announcment of
properly created groups, then it should be used for ALL hierarchies.
It is not enough to simply post such announcements in the `alternate
hierarchy', because a new topic could interest someone outside of that
hierarchy.  In the case of the bionet groups, we are expanding to
handle fields outside of molecular biology.  Each time a new group
props up in our hierarchy, I receive several requests for new feeds.

If spaf can mention such groups in the list of alternate hierarchies,
there should be no reason to censor announcements such as mine from
news.announce.newgroups.

Therefore, I request a change in the charter.

Eliot Lear
The BIONET Project

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (08/12/89)

=
[...]

I respectfully (yes, I mean that) disagree.  news.announce.newsgroups is,
unless I misunderstood something, an attempt to simply filter out a lot of
the flamage when discussion of formation of groups occurs.  This doesn't
apply to the bionet groups, among others, because formation of the groups
is not something determined by anything like consensus of various Usenet
sysadmins and newsadmins - it's a centralized decision made without any
form of input from the 'traditional' (I like that word, means so much to
so many people) people that determine the flow of usenet articles.

Are you proposing that bionet groups go through a netwide call for discussion,
a voting period, and are you then willing to be bound by that 'vote'?  I'd
think not, since you have a different organisation anyhow.

This is NOT a slam at bionet or Eliot in any form.  I carry bionet and offer
it to all my downstream feeds as well.  Whenever I get a checkgroups from him,
or newgroup or rmgroup, I honor it - because it's HIS group (or at least the
BIONET Project's group) and they get to decide what they want to have and not
want to have.  But it seems to me that it's really only fair that if they
are to be a separate group with separate rules, that there's no need to also
use other net resources as well (people's time, differing distribution routes,
etc).

Spaf's list of alternate hierarchies seems reasonable and adequate here.
Otherwise we might get to the point where <deity of your choice> forbid, we
end up expecting and requireing all the alt.* groups to be announced in
news.announce.newgroups as well.

Dewey
| ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!dewey or | "If you will just quit shouting at me, I |
|   ...!natinst!sequoia!dewey      | will try to hear what you are saying"    |
|   If I so often disagree with my company, of course these ideas are mine    |

wcs) (08/13/89)

In article <Aug.11.13.44.17.1989.4684@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
> I protest the charter of news.announce.newgroups, that the moderator
> will not post messages announcing new groups in hierarchies that
> are not part of the `traditional USENET list of groups'.
> If news.announce.newgroups is to be the place for the announcment of
> properly created groups, then it should be used for ALL hierarchies.

I agree with Eliot - USENET as a community involves all the
distribution groups, including the core quasi-non-commercial-non-alt
groups and the rest as well, and we all benefit from announcements
about new groups, even those that our companies' machines may not
end up carrying.  Does the current charter even support
announcements of the inet groups?
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 ho95c.att.com!wcs
# also cloned at 201-271-4712 tarpon.att.com!wcs Somerset NJ CP3/4C423

# How can I split this beer atom?  I'll try that chisel over there ...

gam@uts.amdahl.com (Gordon Moffett) (08/13/89)

In the referenced article, dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
# Spaf's list of alternate hierarchies seems reasonable and adequate here.
# Otherwise we might get to the point where <deity of your choice> forbid, we
# end up expecting and requireing all the alt.* groups to be announced in
# news.announce.newgroups as well.

This is exactly what I object to, also.  Leave alt.* out of it.
alt.config serves that purpose for now, and to include it in
news.announce.newgroups would lead to more centralized regulation.

I have voted 'no'.
--
Gordon A. Moffett                             gam@uts.amdahl.com
+1 408 746-8287		      {ames,sun,uunet,decwrl}!amdahl!gam

In article <Aug.11.13.44.17.1989.4684@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>If news.announce.newgroups is to be the place for the announcment of
>properly created groups, then it should be used for ALL hierarchies...

Or such hierarchies should be merged into the main ones.  It really is
a pain that every little topic thinks it deserves a hierarchy of its own.
Most of them carry so little traffic and are so uncontroversial that they
could easily be absorbed into the main ones.  That is, the one major
virtue of being separate -- slightly easier administration of differing
distribution paths -- is usually of no real importance.

Actually, I do agree with Eliot, because one or two of the other hierarchies
do have real reasons to exist, and terse announcements of changes to them
would improve n.a.n.'s usefulness at little cost.  But the problem could
be greatly reduced by just reducing the number of silly superfluous
hierarchies.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Aug13.021012.216@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Or such hierarchies should be merged into the main ones.  It really is
>a pain that every little topic thinks it deserves a hierarchy of its own.

I think the reason for this, particularly in the case of ALT, is a desire
to avoid the bureaucracy of the current group creation procedure.  No,
that's not the only reason, but it's a major one.  So I think the other
hierarchies will continue to exist and have a reason for existing in that way.

Actually, there's very little need for hierarchies.  My own news
subscription mechanism for sites involves giving the site a .newsrc instead
of a sys file line, so control can be done at the individual newsgroup level.
The only use left for hierarchies is handling control messages.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (08/13/89)

In article <Aug.11.13.44.17.1989.4684@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>I protest the charter of news.announce.newgroups, that the moderator
>will not post messages announcing new groups in heirarchies that
>are not part of the `traditional USENET list of groups'.
>
>If spaf can mention such groups in the list of alternate hierarchies,
>there should be no reason to censor announcements such as mine from
>news.announce.newgroups.
>
>Therefore, I request a change in the charter.

Perhaps such announcements should take place in alt.announce.newgroups ?
spaf does a great job of letting us know what's available in alternate
news groups periodically.  If we (collectively) are interested, we can
always read those groups.  If we don't get them already, feeds aren't
that hard to find.

On the other hand, there really would be no harm done in such an
announcement, as we're talking about _very_little_ bandwidth here.

I suppose an appropriate summary of my posting would be that there are
2 ways of looking at the situation, both of them valid.

>Eliot Lear,  The BIONET Project

  Ed. A. Hew             Technical Trainer             Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (08/14/89)

I disagree with Elliot.  Bionet/Alt/GNU are not part of USENET.  They have
their own rules and their own philosophy (well, bionet may follow usenet
rules for posting,  but it is under separate "management" (IMHO)).

Alt.config works reasonably well for alt.  GNU newsgroups are directly
tied to mailing lists and are established by one "authority".  I don't
see a particular pressing need for an universal announce group.  If it
turns out that alt or bionet, or gnu need such a mechanism, they will
create one within their own heirarchy.  Remember, if there are no messages
posted to it, it simply lies dormant and it's no extra work for those of
use that look at such a group.

Come now.  I don't get GNU, or biz, or bionet or more than a couple of
groups of Alt.  Nor am I at all interested in getting their own versions
of news.groups, which if not moderated, will be similar to the main
news.groups group -- guess why people wanted news.announce.groups in news.*?

But I am interested in finding out what new groups get created in these
hierarchies, so that I can decide if I want to get them fed to me.  It
would be nice to just get announcements, with a short 5 line description for
each gorup, and not have to check for changes in a big list of one line
descriptions of everything.   I think that so long as it's moderated, even
my enemies don't have to worry about it being abused by evil money grubbing
scum such as myself.

Gasp.  Here I am agreeing with Lear@bio.net!   :-)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/14/89)

Please clarify something: would you announce new <hierarchy>
groups with <hierarchy> distribution or world distribution?
I don't think there would be any complaints about the former.

					-=EPS=-

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/14/89)

In article <1047@anise.acc.com> pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) writes:
   I don't see a particular pressing need for an universal announce
   group.  If it turns out that alt or bionet, or gnu need such a
   mechanism, they will create one within their own heirarchy.

At least one such mechanism already exists.  See gnu.config or
gnu.announce, depending upon whether you're talking about
announcements regarding GNU software or discussion regarding the gnu.*
heirarchy.

In article <4001@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
   It would be nice to just get announcements, with a short 5 line
   description for each gorup, and not have to check for changes in a
   big list of one line descriptions of everything.

That's why the "diffs to alternative newsgroup heirarchies" are
posted, so it can be easily scanned.  One line can contain plenty of
information to support a decision to request a feed of the group.

I don't feel especially compelled to update the moderator of
comp.archives every time I update something in our archive here,
largely because our archive operates differently than many, and those
who use it keep themselves up to date via the normal mechanisms we
provide for them to do so.  Similarly, I don't feel any particular
need to tell news.announce.newgroups whenever a new GNU-oriented
mailing list is created with a corresponding group in gnu.*.  Sites
that get gnu.* get the newgroup as part of the normal course of life,
and the newgroup control message generally contains a description of
the group.

Call me a rugged individualist, but when I undertake activities
outside the scope of the Usenet, I don't feel the need to
automatically conform to its conventions.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (08/14/89)

Oh come on.  Do you really think I want my users trying to parse
diffs?

I will state it yet again for you, Bob.  To take your method to its
logical conclusion I would need to subscribe to EVERY hierarchy, or at
least every an group in every hierarchy AND REQUIRE MY USERS TO READ
ALL OF THEM.  I would like my users to be able to read ONE group that
contains all the newsgroup announcements, so that when they see
something interesting that we don't get I can arrange to receive it.
For that matter, even if we do receive it, I still don't want to have
to have my users read more than one group for the announcement of new
newsgroups.

With regard to the distribution, again, if the distribution is limited
to the particular hierarchy involved, those who would want to
subscribe to a newsgroup in that hierarchy who do not already receive
that hierarchy would not see the announcement.

What I am talking about is nothing more than a modified form of
news.announce.conferences or comp.newprod.  I don't want to see
commercializing in such a newsgroup, just announcements.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (08/14/89)

I am not arguing that those outside of USENET should be required to
use news.announce.newgroups, just that they should be allowed to.
Given GNU's generic lousy attitude toward the rest of USENET, I
wouldn't expect to see to much stuff for GNUsenet.

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (08/14/89)

I don't mind if n.a.n posts the newgroup messages.  Indeed, it's handy for
those people who don't read control to find out what groups they're missing
at their site.

I don't, however, want to see n.a.n cluttered with calls for discussion...
especially when the given hierarchy doesn't necessarily need one.

So keep the creation (and removal) messages as a public service, but have
that be about all.

						or am I the only
						person to whom that
						sounds reasonable?

--
David Bedno, Systems Administrator, The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.
Email: davidbe@sco.COM / ..!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc,gorn}!sco!davidbe

Taste me!  Taste me!  I'm organic!				- The Bobs

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/15/89)

In article <Aug.14.09.10.27.1989.13025@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
   I am not arguing that those outside of USENET should be required to
   use news.announce.newgroups, just that they should be allowed to.

OK, I misread your comments, and now I agree with you.  Similarly, I
don't own a gun, I'll fight for your right to one, but not to force me
to carry one.

   Given GNU's generic lousy attitude toward the rest of USENET, I
   wouldn't expect to see to much stuff for GNUsenet.

I don't know specifics about FSF's attitude about Usenet, but the
individuals just seem leery of all the volatile volume here and the
time it consumes.  Still, they seem happy enough to use the same
transport mechanisms for their own mailing lists, and are trying to
keep gnu.* a generally quieter place, distinct from the Usenet
culture.  That doesn't preclude occasional updates in n.a.newgroups,
so long as they're both allowed and voluntary, as you point out.  I
don't think the attitude is as much lousy as it separatist.

Sheesh, it's amazing how loudly people can shout at each other when
they agree about something :-)

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (08/15/89)

In article <415@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Please clarify something: would you announce new <hierarchy>
>groups with <hierarchy> distribution or world distribution?
>I don't think there would be any complaints about the former.

  I would have to use "world" distribution, for the simple reason that my
machine does not get all the alternate hierarchies, so therefore I cannot
post to them.

--Greg

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (08/15/89)

In news.admin, pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) writes:
<
< Alt.config works reasonably well for alt.  GNU newsgroups are directly
< tied to mailing lists and are established by one "authority".  I don't
< see a particular pressing need for an universal announce group.  If it
< turns out that alt or bionet, or gnu need such a mechanism, they will
< create one within their own heirarchy. [...]

On the other hand, there are plenty of people who don't even get all of the
"mainstream" groups, let alone gnu or alt or whatever.
It would certainly help if we get to know what happens in the "alternate"
hierarchies, to keep the active files current and maybe even to be able to
persuade the guys holding the purse strings to loosen said strings a bit...
--
Claimer: Just a personal opinion, though probably not only my own.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/15/89)

One problem with restricting other-hierarchy newgroup announcements to
their own distributions (new BIONET group announcements only in
dist:bionet, new ALT announcements only in dist:alt, etc), is that
mainstream people who might well consider adding another hierarchy to
their feed (if they knew what was in them these days) won't hear about
it.  Perhaps I never wanted a "biz" feed because it didn't look worth
the disk space, but now there's a new "biz.solar" group and I'm in the
solar heating business.  If it's only announced in "biz.config" I'll
miss it.  Spaf's diffs are hard on the eyes as news.  (Quick - what was
added last month?!)

The hair splitting about "allow but do not force" is vacuous.  No one
can force the alternate hierarchies to do anything.  "Allow" is the only
real decision that's ours to make.

I think any new group with more than local distribution should be
eligible to announce in news.announce.newgroups if so desired.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

dan@ccnysci.UUCP (Dan Schlitt) (08/15/89)

In article <Aug.14.09.07.45.1989.12937@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>Oh come on.  Do you really think I want my users trying to parse
>diffs?

Well yes I think I do.  Diff is a very useful tool and IF the users
were to look at the diffs they might find a tool that they would see
other uses for.

However, I don't expect the ordinary user to be looking at those
articles which post the changes in the various lists.  That is my job
(or the job of someone that works for me).  I look for new newsgroups
that should be available here.  That is why we get bionet groups.  And
I know how to parse diffs.

It is my considered opinion after reading this discussion that the
announcements should be limited to newsgroups in the regular
hierarchy.  The monthly lists are adequate for announcing changes in
the other hierarchies if they are not already avialable.  If you
already get a feed of the other hierarchy then you should get a feed
of the group which that hierarchy uses for administrative
announcements.
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan@sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York

markw@gvlf1-c.gvl.unisys.com (Mark H. Weber) (08/16/89)

In article <5004@viscous.sco.COM> davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) writes:

>I don't mind if n.a.n posts the newgroup messages...
>
>I don't, however, want to see n.a.n cluttered with calls for discussion...
>
>So keep the creation (and removal) messages as a public service, but have
>that be about all.
>
>						or am I the only
>						person to whom that
>						sounds reasonable?

   Nope, I think that's just about right. "Time and space permitting", it
might be neighborly for n.a.n to post proposals for new groups in other
hierarchies, with a pointer to the appropriate group for discussion and
voting in that hierarchy. This could be left to the discretion of the
n.a.n moderator.

--
  Mark H. Weber ( markw@GVL.Unisys.COM [128.126.220.102] or
		  ...!{gatech,purdue}!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!markw or

allbery@nc386.uucp (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/18/89)

As quoted from <4001@looking.on.ca> by brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton):
+---------------
| But I am interested in finding out what new groups get created in these
| hierarchies, so that I can decide if I want to get them fed to me.  It
| would be nice to just get announcements, with a short 5 line description for
| each gorup, and not have to check for changes in a big list of one line
| descriptions of everything.   I think that so long as it's moderated, even
| my enemies don't have to worry about it being abused by evil money grubbing
| scum such as myself.
+---------------

I emailed Greg a suggestion for an alternative solution; may as well present
it to the net at large for consideration.

Firstly, I don't think that newgroup announcements for non-"mainstream" groups
belong in a "mainstream" newsgroup.  I think this because any such messages
should be distributed such that they are also visible in the non-mainstream
hierarchy; and, while I don't know of any such sites, it's quite possible for
someone to get an alt-only newsfeed, etc.

Which leads to my suggestion: a "meta-hierarchy".  (Call it "meta" just for
the purposes of discussion.)  This hierarchy would be considered to be a part
of *all* news hierarchies, whether world, alt, gnu, biz, etc.  It would be
restricted to newsgroups and discussions concerning hierarchies, interaction
between them, and maintenance of multiple-hierarchy systems (ncoast, for
example, is a backbone for "alt" and also carries unix-pc, u3b, and pubnet,
with gnu coming as soon as the 386 (currently "nc386", we FINALLY got all the
problems worked out and our feeds are being moved even as I write this) is
settled).  A newsgroup for announcement of new newsgroups on any hierarchy
would make sense in such a meta-hierarchy.  Please note that I do *not* expect
this hierarchy to make policy for any other hierarchy; but it would be a good
place to discuss the real-world implementation of such policies across
hierarchies -- say, cross-posting between biz and world.  (Note that I'm using
"world" to represent the mainstream Usenet, that being the most inclusive
distribution for the mainstream.)

Initially, only a few groups would be necessary (or desirable!), but there is
room for expansion if/when it's needed/wanted.  My thoughts on the initial
configuration is to have meta.newgroups and meta.admin, with meta.admin as the
primary newsgroup until/unless there is sufficient traffic to split it up.

Comments, anyone?  (Oh, if I missed any hierarchies in the Newsgroups: line or
got the wrong newsgroup for some of them, please feel free to repost this to
them -- obviously, what I'm proposing will affect all news hierarchies, so
everyone ought to have some input into it.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/19/89)

What's wrong with Brandon's concept is that news.* outranks every other
hierarchy; thus it is the one place everyone can and should look for
information about the most basic things happening to news.  New groups,
even outside the "mainstream," are the most important single event in
the life of Usenet.

Cross pollination is inherently a good thing.  If you never got talk.*
because you heard it was all BS, but then talk.religion.deist was formed
and you didn't even know there were any other Deists left on the planet,
you ought to have a chance to hear about it.

The tests for admittance should be: Is the new group of potential
interest to people who don't already get the hierarchy or pay attention
to it?  And is the hierarchy in question available for broad
distribution?  "Broad" might be kind of subjective -- biz.* ok, ba.*
well hmmm, tor.* <BZZZZT!> -- but even within regional distributions it
may still make sense to crosspost to n.a.n. WITH Distribution: SET
APPROPRIATELY.  Now would this prove too difficult to police, I dunno.

I also think intermediate stuff should be kept out of n.a.n. entirely.
Just this: for the mainstream -- one call for discussion (with followups
directed to news.announce.newgroups.d, unmoderated), one call for votes,
one announcement of success or failure.  For the non-mainstream -- only
announcements of success, subject to the tests mentioned above.  If you
don't even get or read biz.* now, you may be entitled to learn when
something important happens there, but your vote is arguably worthless
and you don't need to be able to argue about it beforehand.

I would be much more concerned about the nuisance to the net of debates
on creating mainstream groups than I would about the actual volume of
one-time newgroup announcements, net wide, even counting minor
distributions and hierarchies.  The .d group should be created, and the
charter here amended to welcome most everyone's birth announcements.
--

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (08/21/89)

In article <1989Aug18.030110.3223@nc386.uucp> allbery@nc386.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Which leads to my suggestion: a "meta-hierarchy".  (Call it "meta" just for
>the purposes of discussion.)  This hierarchy would be considered to be a part
>of *all* news hierarchies, whether world, alt, gnu, biz, etc.

>Comments, anyone?

I'm anyone...

Since the alternate hierarchies exist within their own policies,
distribution methods, purposes, et. al, it makes sense to me to make
announcements of changes within those hierarchies, within those
hierarchies.  Anyone participating in those hierarchies can get those
notifications in the relevant way.  It only remains for the mainstream
readers to know about changes in the hierarchy system itself (i.e.,
creation and deletion of whole hierarchies, and perhaps contact
information).  This is already covered in the 'alternative newsgroups'
and 'mailing list' monthlies, which also list out all the individual
gouprs in the other hierarchies.

Anyone interested in alternate hierarchies can find out about them
via the alternative newsgroups lists and can arrange to participate
in those lists, whereupon they can participate in the business of
those groups.  It seems to me that this is the way it ought to work,
and that a meta-group would be irrelevant.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

In article <14549@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>One problem with restricting other-hierarchy newgroup announcements to
>their own distributions (new BIONET group announcements only in
>dist:bionet, new ALT announcements only in dist:alt, etc), is that
>mainstream people who might well consider adding another hierarchy to
>their feed (if they knew what was in them these days) won't hear about
>it.

>The hair splitting about "allow but do not force" is vacuous.  No one
>can force the alternate hierarchies to do anything.  "Allow" is the only
>real decision that's ours to make.

The latter opinion seems to contradict the former motivation.  If you
can't enforce the posting of announcements as suggested, then those
who want to be up to date on other group hierarchies will have to
look elsewhere anyway.  If it's of only marginal importance to see
these announcements, that might not be a problem.  But the whole
point of this discussion seems to be that it *is* important to see
them.

I still believe that announcements belong within their own scope,
regardless.

-mm-