[news.admin] Need a little help with pathalias.

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) (08/18/89)

Well I got a copy of pathalias, compiled it, unshared all the maps, ran it,
and got one big map file.  Now what do I do?  How do I get my mailer to use
it?  I have seen a command that you pass it a host name and it will spit out a
uucp path to it, I believe the name of the command was "uupath", where can I
get it?  Can someone please enlighten me?

Oh yea, I am running BSD4.3 on an Apollo DN3500 using sendmail as my mailer.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
Apollo Computer                            wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard
USMAIL:                          EMAIL:
2100 Sonata Ln                   cantrell@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US
Carrollton TX 75007                           or
                                   ...!attctc!digi!kcantrel

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (08/21/89)

kcantrel@digi.UUCP (Keith Cantrell) writes:

>Well I got a copy of pathalias, compiled it, unshared all the maps, ran it,
>and got one big map file.  Now what do I do?  How do I get my mailer to use
>it?  I have seen a command that you pass it a host name and it will spit out a
>uucp path to it, I believe the name of the command was "uupath", where can I
>get it?  Can someone please enlighten me?

Well, first of all, make sure that you pipe the output of 'pathalias' through
'sort' and 'uniq' ( 'uniq' requires 'sort' in order to be effective ), to get
rid of garbage, redundancy that creeps in, etc.

I'm not sure how'd you'd hack the sendmail.cf to get it to use pathalias
output, though I've heard it can be done. I've also heard it's a lot easier
to configure 'smail', so I'd recommend evaluating that package.

The output can be appended to /usr/lib/news/mailpaths ( rnews.2.14b, I think,
is what we're running here. ), as straight ASCII, and 'news' will use it as
a resource for routing just about everything you reply ( or post to, in those
newsgroups which are moderated ). This makes the file an appropriate place
to place addresses for newsgroup moderators, as well, I believe.

You can also generate .dbm files, in case your news software uses those, but
the above represents a caveman basic usage.

Insofar as 'uupath' is concerned, all the copies of 'uupath' I've seen were
shell scripts that just grep'd the appropriate file, /usr/lib/news/mailpaths.

>Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
>Apollo Computer                            wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC

-- richard

--
 *  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *
 *  destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by   *