[news.admin] moderated local groups?

I would like to create a local group that is moderated (such as
local.announce).  I asked our news expert and he did not see how
to do it.  Is there any way to do it?  This was his response:

>I created the newsgroups you requested.  I don't
>know how (and looking at the source it doesn't
>seem possible) to create a moderated, local newsgroup.
>I know this seems quite odd, but all the experiments
>I tried didn't work.  Making it moderated in the
>active file means the letter gets sent off to
>your "backbone" site, as defined in the mailpaths
>file.  Thus a posting to local.cps.announce went off
>to frith!uunet!local-cps-announce, where it will
>certainly bounce.  The syntax of the mailpaths file
>doesn't seem to allow you to specify different behavior
>for local groups.

>When I tried putting a "no posting to this group" line
>in the active file then nobody can post.

>I would suggest posting a question on how to make a
>local, moderated group to something like news.admin,
>or one of those type groups.

Thanks much,
Rob Jaksa

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Michigan State University       d@# |333    Arpanet: jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
| Dept. of Computer Science         # |333    Bitnet:  JAKSA@MSUEGR            |
| A714 Wells Hall                   # |333    Csnet:   jaksa@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
| East Lansing, MI 48824-1027     ####+333    Usenet:  ...uunet!frith!jaksa    |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/29/89)

Try putting a line in your mailpaths file that looks something like
	cps.announce	root@cps3xx.uucp
ahead of the "backbone" and "internet" lines.

gilgut@cg-atla.UUCP (Mr. Uucp) (08/29/89)

In article <BOB.89Aug28184638@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> Try putting a line in your mailpaths file that looks something like
> 	cps.announce	root@cps3xx.uucp
> ahead of the "backbone" and "internet" lines.

OK, I did that (I have wanted to make a moderated group for a while...)
So I was su'd to root, and I ran postnews, and it mailed it to me
just like it is supposed to. (I have group gilgut ahead of backbone)
So I read the mail and saved it. When I tried to submit it, it happily
mailed it to the moderator. (Somehow I knew that would happen. 8-) )
Perhaps I need a file named "moderators"? or something? If so,
what is the syntax?
Thanks....

/dev/steve

--
Steve Gilgut, Agfa Compugraphic Div; Wilmington, Mass. (508)658-5600 X5277
{uunet!ginosko,decvax,ulowell}!cg-atla!gilgut     (Work) R & D Computer Center

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (08/30/89)

gilgut@cg-atla.uucp writes:
   So I was su'd to root, and I ran postnews, and it mailed it to me
   just like it is supposed to. (I have group gilgut ahead of backbone)
   So I read the mail and saved it. When I tried to submit it, it happily
   mailed it to the moderator. (Somehow I knew that would happen. 8-) )
   Perhaps I need a file named "moderators"? or something? If so,

When you are posting something as the moderator of the group, add an
the Approved: header is what causes the news to inject the news into
the spool area properly.

--Karl