[news.admin] Smileys Vs. Humor

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (08/30/89)

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

>Richard:  it was a joke!

I understand this. But I didn't laugh last time it was brought up, either.

If you <generic> don't want such a thing to happen, you <generic> don't bring
up a topic.

The presence of a smiley does not necessarily indicate the _presence_ of humor,
so much as it does the _intent_ of humor, which is an entirely separate thing.
Humor is used as a method of superficiality as much as it is used to share an
insight or relieve the pain of the moment. As a matter of fact, I agree with
many anthropologists and psychologists whom classify most humor as 'laughing
at the expense of another'.

Example :

	"Give me those scissors, I want to see if I can cut this fiber-optic
	 building-to-building trunk, just for the hell of it.	(-:"

What ? Nobody's laughing ? Why not ?

Certainly, there is an element of shock value in such a thing, which could be
misinterpreted as humor - but try reading it a few times and I think you'll
find the humor draining out of the phrase rapidly. ( Perhaps this is a truism,
that 'true' humor is funny every time you encounter it, while 'false' humor
is only funny once. For purposes of possible future discussions, I will
classify these two types of humor, tenatively, as 'wry' and 'malicious'. )

If you <generic> bring up the topic, and stand to benefit from it, then you
<generic> will probably encounter a degree of flack, as people will naturally
be curious as to why _you_ brought it up, instead of another.

Example :

>Ross M. Greenberg
>UNIX TODAY!             594 Third Avenue   New York   New York  10016
>Review Editor           Voice:(212)-889-6431  BBS:(212)-889-6438
>uunet!utoday!greenber   BIX: greenber  MCI: greenber   CIS: 72461,3212

I will see what I can do about laughing at the pain of others. Obviously,
I am a severely emotionally crippled individual.	(-:

Perhaps the furor over the use of the maps for targeting sites with sales
materials specific to the UNIX community was funny, in retrospective. But
the idea of it becoming 'appropriate' is not. And any humor I might perceive
is directly derived from the fact that some people were so hurt by such an
apparently trivial thing, so angered over their abstractions ... and that's
not really that funny, if you think about it.

-- richard

--
 *  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *
 *  destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by   *

In article <2019@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

>Example :
>
>	"Give me those scissors, I want to see if I can cut this fiber-optic
>	 building-to-building trunk, just for the hell of it.	(-:"
>
>What ? Nobody's laughing ? Why not ?

Because you don't know how to tell a joke.

		-- Brad T., clearly in collusion with Ross Greenberg.

(further discussion of what's funny and what's not to rec.humor.d!)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (08/31/89)

Richard:  I tried.  Really.  I mean, I really tried to find a point in
your posting.  But I had to give up.  On the request of others, howzabout
we take this to E-mail?

Just one thing:

In article <2019@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

>Example :
>
>	"Give me those scissors, I want to see if I can cut this fiber-optic
>	 building-to-building trunk, just for the hell of it.	(-:"
>
>What ? Nobody's laughing ? Why not ?

It's obvious to me.  Your smiley is backward.

Sheesh!  You never could tell a punchline, could you?

  To subscribe, send mail to circ@utoday with "Subject: Request"

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/01/89)

In article <2019@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
}greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
}
}>Richard:  it was a joke!
}
}I understand this. But I didn't laugh last time it was brought up, either.
}
}If you <generic> don't want such a thing to happen, you <generic> don't bring
}up a topic.
}
}The presence of a smiley does not necessarily indicate the _presence_ of humor,
}so much as it does the _intent_ of humor, which is an entirely separate thing.

Geez, get off your soapbox :-)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

tony@b17a.INGR.COM (Tony Evans) (09/01/89)

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

>greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

>>Richard:  it was a joke!

>Example :

>	"Give me those scissors, I want to see if I can cut this fiber-optic
>	 building-to-building trunk, just for the hell of it.	(-:"

>What ? Nobody's laughing ? Why not ?

I thought it was funny.
	But then again... I'm that way. B^)

>Example :

>I will see what I can do about laughing at the pain of others. Obviously,
>I am a severely emotionally crippled individual.	(-:

I can always laugh at someone putting themself down.
	But then again... I'm that way. B^)

>-- richard

>--
> *  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *
> *  destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by   *
> *  all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.   *

so whats you point?

--

____________   _____/--\____ Tony Evans    205-772-7719        //-A-\\
\______  ___) (_   _    ____)...uunet!ingr!b17a!awe!tony ___---=======---___

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) (09/02/89)

In article <236@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <2019@avsd.UUCP> childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
>}greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>}
>}>Richard:  it was a joke!
[stuff deleted]
ENOUGH ALREADY!!! There's those of us out here that read rec.humor funny for
jokes, and there's rec.humor.d for discussions about smiley faces and
other such cuteness.

This is news.admin, and I, for one, would greatly appreciate you keeping
your inane flame throwing session out of here. Jeez, you start off with
what appears to be a valid discussion of the purpose of USENET, and it
degenerates into a pile of junk that isn't even worthy of talk.bizzarre.

I suppose that this message will generate even more crap, but please keep
in mind that there's lots of us who are paying long distance charges to
move this stuff around, and while you are busy talking about
responsibility, your arguments would carry much more weight if you acted
responsibly.
--
Phillip M. Vogel, President             | #include <standard_disclaimer.h>
Bartal Design Group, Inc. Englewood, NJ | (201)567-1343   FAX:(201)568-2891

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (09/05/89)

In article <2019@avsd.UUCP>, childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
> greenber@utoday.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>
> >Richard:  it was a joke!
>
> >Ross M. Greenberg
> >UNIX TODAY!             594 Third Avenue   New York   New York  10016
> >Review Editor           Voice:(212)-889-6431  BBS:(212)-889-6438
> >uunet!utoday!greenber   BIX: greenber  MCI: greenber   CIS: 72461,3212

[Bla Bla Bla....]

Ya know, I hate spending my money, the universities money, the taxpayers
money, and the undergraduate programmers money, who are paying tuition,
on telephone costs to receive bickering between an editor, who obviously
has more time on his hands than most of us do judging from the sheer bulk
of news, and a few other individuals.

_One_ of my responsibilities as the Administrator for Adelphi University
Mathematics and Computer Science Departmental systems is to keep the various
news files, software, etc. up to date.  I have very little time to read any
news, but consider reading news.all a part of the administration responsibility.

I want to thank Ross Greenberg and everyone else for adding 10 miniutes to
the news transfer times for all those sites that use UUCP.  Hum... 10 min.
times X systems @ $Y. I bet it cost more than "pocket money" to support
the bickering... oops... I mean intelligent conversation. :-)
							  ^^^^^^
                                                    _HUMOR INTENT ABOVE_

Some respected "Old Timers on the net" still worry about the cost of news
transfer becoming the downfall of USENET.  I have recently been made aware
via personal conversation with other sa's that some main COM sites along our
feed are complaining about costs.

I myself am a very opinionated individual and have resisted the temptation
to take a swipe.  Others can also.  How about it?
How about we move it to /dev/null, as well with any flames.

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or
more uncertain in it's success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a
new order of things.
	--Niccolo Machiavelli as reproduced by the famous Donald E. Knuth
	  in the Art of Computer programming.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP