[news.admin] strange problem with postnews

roy@sts.sts.UUCP (09/01/89)

I have a strange problem with the postnews(1) which comes with C-news.
Below is an attempt at posting an article in misc.test with it.  As
you can see from some of the checks I did after the failure,
everything LOOKS ok.  Is there something else I should be LOOKing at?
Thanks!

Script started on Thu Aug 31 19:41:13 1989
bash$ postnews
Newsgroup(s)? misc.test
Subject: Test
.
.
.
edit article
.
.
.
Posting...
bash$ relaynews: can't create lock temporary `/var/news/LOCKTMa05456' (Permission denied)
/bin/inews: article in /home/roy/dead.article

bash$ ls -l /usr/lib/newsbin/relay/relaynews
-rwsrwsr-x  1 notes       57344 Aug 31 10:59 /usr/lib/newsbin/relay/relaynews
bash$ ls -ld /var/news
drwxr-xr-x  4 notes        1536 Aug 31 19:38 /var/news
bash$
script done on Thu Aug 31 19:41:55 1989

Roy Bixler                   | UUCP: ...!{claris,sun}!sts!roy    |
Semiconductor Test Solutions | Internet: roy@bonzo.sts.COM       |
4101 Burton Dr.              | phones: (408) 727-2885 x132 (work)|
Santa Clara, CA  95054	     |         (408) 289-1035      (home)|

In article <69000004@sts> roy@sts.sts.UUCP writes:
>I have a strange problem with the postnews(1) which comes with C-news...
>bash$ relaynews: can't create lock temporary `/var/news/LOCKTMa05456' (Permission denied)

This one is common enough, and odd enough, that we probably ought to put it
in the documentation.  What this means is that either (a) relaynews is not
setuid to the same uid that owns the $NEWSCTL directory, or (b) you have
not run subst properly and various parts of C News disagree on where the
directories are.  (The single commonest cause of (b) is changing the
"config" file without making corresponding changes elsewhere.  When
relaynews sees directory names in environment variables that differ from
the ones it knows about (via the config stuff in the C code), it decides
that something funny is going on and it had better renounce setuid
privileges.)
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu