Shouldn't the Reply-To: header contain (usually) the same address as the
From: line? It seems to me that replying to a posting would be much faster
and more economical if domain-named sites would use domain names in the

Am I just confused? Maybe the UUCP domain is the default and many admins
never change it to reflect their site's domain-ness? I have replied to
messages where I didn't really look at the header and instead of taking a
one or two hop Internet route, they've taken a five or seven or more hop
UUCP route. It seems pretty inefficient to me.

Would someone who knows give me a clue to what's going on? Thanks in
advance.

							- Tom

--
                   "A Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

Thomas Krueger    UW-Milwaukee College of Engineering    Electronics Shop
tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu     [moderator, info-high-audio]     +1 414 229 5172

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/14/89)

In article <49@uwm.edu> tjk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Thomas Krueger) writes:
> ... I also notice that even when the From: header contains a mail
>adress with domain name, the Reply-To: header contains a mail name with a
>UUCP address.

This is an RN-ism.  Its default action is to take the one-word host
name returned by the gethostname() call or contained in /etc/systemid,
and tack .UUCP onto that.  You have to either configure in your
proper domain suffix when you build RN from source, or set up environment
variables to override the default and supply the correct name.  Many
sites and users seem unaware of this or unwilling to take the time.
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET