[news.admin] cnews on system V

pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (Twisted Systems Inc.) (09/13/89)

I have been trying to get C News to build and install on a System V.3
based system without much success. For starters, the Makefiles
gag on the test command. ("cannot load test").
Can anyone whos perhaps done a system V.3 based build send me some
hints/pointers. I'll summarize and post the results of this query.
Thanks,
Pete
uucp: {bellcore|rutgers|decvax|decuac|nssc05}!hjuxa!pzl

In article <1598@hjuxa.UUCP> pzl@hjuxa.UUCP (Twisted Systems Inc.) writes:
>I have been trying to get C News to build and install on a System V.3
>based system without much success. For starters, the Makefiles
>gag on the test command. ("cannot load test").
>Can anyone whos perhaps done a system V.3 based build send me some
>hints/pointers...

Unfortunately, "System V.3" isn't specific enough.  One of the systems we
used for internal alpha testing is a V.3, or claims to be.  The distributed
stuff works fine there.

Many System V "make"s violate the SVID by malfunctioning when presented with
commands that are normally implemented as shell built-ins.  The semicolons
on the ends of the "test" lines prevent that in most of them.  (If those
lines don't have semicolons, you are badly behind on C News patches and
should get an up-to-date version of the software.)
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

denny@mcmi.uucp (Denny Page) (09/14/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Unfortunately, "System V.3" isn't specific enough.  One of the systems we
>used for internal alpha testing is a V.3, or claims to be.

Cnews has been running on our 3B2 (sysV3.1) since early July.  The
current version works quite well.

To get any kind of real preformance however, I consider dbz to be a
must, and a C version of spacefor is highly recommended.
--
Someday has arrived