[news.admin] Site Admin stuff -- what if I give boneheads accounts?

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (09/05/89)

Usenet is an elitist medium.  To participate, you must either own
a system; go to school or work at a place that has a system; or own
a terminal or computer and pay money to call into a public access system.
People who don't have the resources can't post.  Right off the bat, it's
an unfair (in terms of who can post and who can't) system.

With that out of the way... :-)

What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
the net at another site?  The purpose would be to (ahem) protect
their right to free speech on the net.  As long as they didn't break
any actual laws, they could keep their accounts.

(I know what would happen:  all of my neighbors would discconect from
me. :-)
--
"Watch has a clock on it" -- ficc!peter's 3.7 year old son, on seeing
                              an analog watch.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/05/89)

In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
>
>(I know what would happen:  all of my neighbors would discconect from

So get an account on uunet.

As far as I know they don't have any policy about censoring their
customers.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/05/89)

In article <254@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> So get an account on uunet.  As far as I know they don't have any
> policy about censoring their customers.

	And, as far as I can tell, they don't have any policy about making
fraudulent (well, perhaps rogue is a better word) postings to moderated
newsgroups either.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

rich@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Rich Andrews) (09/05/89)

In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>Usenet is an elitist medium.  To participate, you must either own
>a system; go to school or work at a place that has a system; or own
>a terminal or computer and pay money to call into a public access system.
>People who don't have the resources can't post.  Right off the bat, it's
>an unfair (in terms of who can post and who can't) system.

I disagree.  Access to the usenet or any bbs is
no more unfair other than excluding those who don't have modems.

>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
>accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
>the net at another site?  The purpose would be to (ahem) protect
>their right to free speech on the net.  As long as they didn't break
>any actual laws, they could keep their accounts.

I have yet to "kick off" anyone here because of poor usenet protocol
or for being a "nuisance to the net".

rich
--
"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat."         Bullwinkle Moose
	"oh...a wise guy....Come here....I'll murder ya..."      Moe Howard

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/05/89)

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Usenet is an elitist medium.  To participate, you must either own
>a system; go to school or work at a place that has a system; or own
>a terminal or computer and pay money to call into a public access system.
>People who don't have the resources can't post.  Right off the bat, it's
>an unfair (in terms of who can post and who can't) system.

Very true. You gotta get a machine before you get to talk...

>[If Eric started up a freedom-of-speech machine for offensive posters]
>(I know what would happen:  all of my neighbors would discconect from
>me. :-)

All of your neighbors, maybe. I'd carry the traffic. As long as a given
posting doesn't violate any laws, I'm perfectly willing to carry it
along. Even if it does break any laws, the odds are that neither I nor
any other sysadmins would actually notice the illegal posting, but if
we did it'd be gone asap. But as long as I'm running a site, we'll carry
anything, offensive or not (as long as we carry the group at all, of
course --- I don't want every group just to be a completist :-)), as
long as it doesn't break the law.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (09/05/89)

In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
>accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
>the net at another site?
>
>(I know what would happen:  all of my neighbors would discconect from
>me. :-)

Having answered his own question, this poster could have avoided the
news article entirely it seems to me.

--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (09/06/89)

As quoted from <1489@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> by rich@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Rich Andrews):
+---------------
| In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
| >What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
| >accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
| >the net at another site?
|
| I have yet to "kick off" anyone here because of poor usenet protocol
| or for being a "nuisance to the net".
+---------------

You haven't, maybe, but let me drop a few names:

	Rich Rosen
	Tim Maroney (since returned, obviously ;-)
	"Foothead" (fh@eddie.mit.edu -- circumstances unusual here)

It does happen (primarily at universities?).  And it can be argued that even
Rich Rosen, whom many people consider deserving of his fate, had a right to use
of the Net.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (09/06/89)

In article <1489@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> rich@jolnet.UUCP (Rich Andrews) writes:
>In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>Usenet is an elitist medium.  To participate, you must either own
>>a system; go to school or work at a place that has a system; or own
>>a terminal or computer and pay money to call into a public access system.
>>People who don't have the resources can't post.  Right off the bat, it's
>>an unfair (in terms of who can post and who can't) system.

>I disagree.  Access to the usenet or any bbs is
>no more unfair other than excluding those who don't have modems.

Bingo.  It is not a "fair" system.  It can only be accessed by individuals
who are high-enough in the class-structure to either afford a system/account;
or who can afford to go to a university where they can have an account;
or are employeed in a position where they have net access.

*Within* the structure of usenet, things are rather fair, with "fairness"
varying from site to site and nation to nation.

It is elitist in that it can only be accessed by individuals with
a relatively high social standing in our society.

A person is, however, "free" to gain access *IFF* they can get the resources
together.  Just like a person is "free" to travel, or "free" to run
for office...
--

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (09/09/89)

In article <254@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
]In article <2380@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
]>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
]>(I know what would happen:  all of my neighbors would discconect from
]So get an account on uunet.

	Or chinet.  Man, I really seem to have a history of attacting
	them....

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Matt Crawford) (09/12/89)

In article <2380@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
) Usenet is an elitist medium.  ...
) People who don't have the resources can't post.  Right off the bat, it's
) an unfair system.

It's unequal.  Unless you take it as axiomatic, unequal is not the same
as unfair.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

rlr@toccata.rutgers.edu (Rich Rosen) (09/16/89)

In article <1989Sep6.001332.12167@NCoast.ORG>,
	allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) says:
>>>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
>>>accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
>>>the net at another site?
>
>> I have yet to "kick off" anyone here because of poor usenet protocol
>> or for being a "nuisance to the net".
>
> You haven't, maybe, but let me drop a few names:
> 	Rich Rosen
> 	Tim Maroney (since returned, obviously ;-)
> 	"Foothead" (fh@eddie.mit.edu -- circumstances unusual here)
>
> It does happen (primarily at universities?).  And it can be argued that even
> Rich Rosen, whom many people consider deserving of his fate, had a right to
> use of the Net.

Gee, this is news (no pun intended) to me.  When was I kicked off the net?
Really, I'm dying to know.  And what exactly was this "fate" you speak of?
And why did I deserve it, whatever it was, whether it came to pass in reality
or just in some people's deranged imaginations?

Please let me know where you get your information, Brandon, because I'll be
sure to mark whatever/whomever that may be with a stamp that says "UNRELIABLE
SOURCE - MULTIPLY ALL STATEMENTS BY -1 TO OBTAIN TRUTH" in big red letters.
In future, please refrain from making comments about me (or anybody, for that
matter) without confirming that what you say has some modicum of resemblance
to the truth.  Dogmatic religionists may have whined, self-aggrandizing
Deadheads may have bitched and moaned, but I was never restricted from use of
the net in any way, either during my period of employment at Bell Labs/Bellcore
or thereafter.  Got it? ... :-?

(Now if THAT doesn't convince you that Rich Rosen hasn't been kicked off of
any net known to man, woman or shoehorn, I don't know what will...)

There, now I can get back to whatever it was I was doing?
--
"We old ones have seen two R's..."	 Rich Rosen   rlr@toccata.rutgers.edu

rlr@toccata.rutgers.edu (Rich Rosen) (09/17/89)

In article <1989Sep6.001332.12167@NCoast.ORG>,
	allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) says:
>>>What if I cranked up a new system, called "annoy", perhaps, and offered
>>>accounts (and full net/email access :-P) to anyone who was kicked off
>>>the net at another site?
>
>> I have yet to "kick off" anyone here because of poor usenet protocol
>> or for being a "nuisance to the net".
>
> You haven't, maybe, but let me drop a few names:
>
> 	Rich Rosen
> 	Tim Maroney (since returned, obviously ;-)
> 	"Foothead" (fh@eddie.mit.edu -- circumstances unusual here)
>
> It does happen (primarily at universities?).  And it can be argued that even
> Rich Rosen, whom many people consider deserving of his fate, had a right to
> use of the Net.

Gee, this is news (no pun intended) to me.  When was I kicked off the net?
Really, I'm dying to know.  And what exactly was this "fate" you speak of?
And why did I deserve it, whatever it was, whether it came to pass in reality
or just in some people's deranged imaginations?

Please let me know where you get your information, Brandon, because I'll be
sure to mark whatever source that may be with a stamp that says "UNRELIABLE
SOURCE - MULTIPLY ALL STATEMENTS BY -1 TO OBTAIN TRUTH" in big red letters.
In future, please refrain from making comments about me (or anybody, for that
matter) without confirming that what you say has some modicum of resemblance
to the truth.  Dogmatic religionists may have whined, self-aggrandizing
Deadheads may have bitched and moaned, but I was never restricted from use
of the net in any way, either during my period of employment at Bell Labs or
Bellcore or anytime thereafter.  Got it? ... :-?