[news.admin] More mashed Message-IDs

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/16/89)

Got these this morning:

These are all the same article, posted to rec.music.gaffa. An analysis
of the paths shows the following sites are in all five paths:

[...]!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU\
!Love-Hounds-request

Looks like some mailer somewhere or another is broken...

Side note: as far as the "real" message id (the part between the angle
brackets) is concerned these are the same article. Should news be patched
to use just the text between the brackets as the message id? As far as
I know, neither B 2.11 or C does this, but it looks ok from my reading
of RFC1036...

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

karl@socrates.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/16/89)

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
   [...]!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU\
   !Love-Hounds-request

The breakage starts before it got here (for the 2nd time, anyway) - we
got all 5.  It's been re-injected and sent around to us multiple
times; we show up in the Path: headers more than once.  This means
that someone is doing a serious no-no, sending back to sites already
in Path:.  Bad juju.

Script started on Sat Sep 16 12:24:25 1989
[1] [12:24pm] tut:/usr/spool/news/rec/music/gaffa# egrep Path:\|Message-ID: 301[4-8]
3014:Path: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request
3014:Message-ID: <8909130935268E6.AJTQ@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU> (UMass-Mailer 4.04)
3015:Path: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!husc6!mailrus!cs.utexas.edu!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request
3015:Message-ID: <8909130935268E6.AJTQ@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>?(UMass-Mailer?4.04)
3016:Path: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!husc6!mailrus!cs.utexas.edu!uwm.edu!gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request
3016:Message-ID: <8909130935268E6.AJTQ@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>(UMass-Mailer4.04)
3017:Path: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!husc6!mailrus!uwm.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!uflorida!gatech!purdue!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request
3017:Message-ID: <8909130935268E6.AJTQ@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>-(UMass-Mailer-4.04)
3018:Path: tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!husc6!ginosko!aplcen!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!uwm.edu!csd4.csd.uwm.edu!bionet!apple!hercules!joyce!ames!purdue!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!att!dptg!rutgers!mit-eddie!GAFFA.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request
3018:Message-ID: <8909130935268E6.AJTQ@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU>.(UMass-Mailer.4.04)
[2] [12:24pm] tut:/usr/spool/news/rec/music/gaffa# exit

script done on Sat Sep 16 12:24:44 1989

--Karl

In article <1989Sep16.160104.14146@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Side note: as far as the "real" message id (the part between the angle
>brackets) is concerned these are the same article. Should news be patched
>to use just the text between the brackets as the message id? As far as
>I know, neither B 2.11 or C does this, but it looks ok from my reading
>of RFC1036...

If you read RFC1036 very carefully, the simplified RFC822 syntax it defines
does **NOT** permit parenthesized comments.  (The human-readable name in
the From: line is an explicit exception.)  A message-ID line cannot include
anything but the message-ID, which must be delimited by `<' and '>'.  The
above Message-ID lines are all illegal.  The proper response is an error
message and a refusal to forward the article.

An up-to-date C News will discard the first one for having white space in
the message-ID, but the current relaynews code doesn't enforce the <> rule.
Probably it should -- mkhistory does.
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/17/89)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1989Sep16.160104.14146@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> I write:
>>[Message-ID's in the form Message-ID: <id>(comment)]
>>
>>Side note: as far as the "real" message id (the part between the angle
>>brackets) is concerned these are the same article. Should news be patched
>>to use just the text between the brackets as the message id? As far as
>>I know, neither B 2.11 or C does this, but it looks ok from my reading
>>of RFC1036...
>If you read RFC1036 very carefully, the simplified RFC822 syntax it defines
>does **NOT** permit parenthesized comments.  (The human-readable name in
>the From: line is an explicit exception.)  A message-ID line cannot include
>anything but the message-ID, which must be delimited by `<' and '>'.  The
>above Message-ID lines are all illegal.  The proper response is an error
>message and a refusal to forward the article.

That's what I thought. I disagree, though, with the proper response: I'd
rather see news simply ignore anything past the trailing '>' character,
possibly also posting an error notice to the admin or some log file. That
way some human intervention can try and discover the cause of the
offending header and berate them for non-compliance, but the article is
still accepted. In other words: 'be generous with what you accept and
conservative with what you generate'.

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep17.014958.26095@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
: An up-to-date C News will discard the first one for having white space in
: the message-ID, but the current relaynews code doesn't enforce the <> rule.
: Probably it should -- mkhistory does.

I'd be happier if it did.

---
bill@twwells.com