[news.admin] Cnews wish

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (09/12/89)

All I know about Cnews is that it exists
and is being worked on, so the following
suggestion comes from left (Bnews) field.

I would be pleased to read the following
(or equivalent) about Cnews:

    Cnews automatically manages the disk space
    used by news articles in a FIFO fashion.
    Thus, you don't have to keep tweaking expire
    times to make sure don't run out of space;
    articles will stay around as long as
    possible, being deleted automatically only
    as space is needed for new articles.  (Cnews
    will ensure that the free space on a given
    file system used for articles always exceeds
    the disk-reserve configuration parameter for
    that file system.)

    Articles are removed in the order specified
    in the "remove-list", a FIFO list of article
    file names.  The remove-list is accessed by
    a pair of routines (also accessible through
    programs) that push and pull files from the
    list (which is implemented as a table in the
    Cnews article database).

    The new Cnews version of the expire program
    is normally used only to add filenames to
    the remove-list, rather than deleting them
    immediately as was the case in Bnews.  The
    purpose of Cnews expire is only to set the
    lifetimes of different newsgroups relative to
    each other.  Any particular article will only
    live until it is its turn to be deleted.  You
    can also use the new Cnews expire to delete
    some number of articles (or amount of disk
    space) from the head of the remove-list.

 --dave yost

In article <1401@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
>I would be pleased to read the following
>(or equivalent) about Cnews:
>    articles will stay around as long as
>    possible, being deleted automatically only
>    as space is needed for new articles...
>    The new Cnews version of the expire program
>    is normally used only to add filenames to
>    the remove-list, rather than deleting them
>    immediately as was the case in Bnews.  The
>    purpose of Cnews expire is only to set the
>    lifetimes of different newsgroups...

Well, this may half-please you. :-)  It's not set up that way out of the
box.  But at least part of it -- expiry only on space shortage -- can be
done by minor changes to shell files.  People have done it.  We don't
have a "remove list" or anything like that, but you could get much the
same effect by doing iterative expiry, generating expire control files
specifying successively tighter expiry times until you had enough free
space to suit you.  The overhead needn't be very high if it's managed
intelligently.  Again, we don't provide the solution, but I think most
of the tools are there to build your own.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1401@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:

>    Cnews automatically manages the disk space
>    used by news articles in a FIFO fashion.
>    Thus, you don't have to keep tweaking expire
>    times to make sure don't run out of space;
>    articles will stay around as long as
>    possible, being deleted automatically only
>    as space is needed for new articles.

C news doesn't do that.  I suggested it to them a while ago but they
were already in the "Please, NO MORE FEATURES!" mode.

In fact, when I had smaller disk packs I wrote a very simple expire
program that was space based.  Instead of keep the last N days of articles,
you said keep the last N *bytes* of articles.  Much nicer.  It could be tuned
per group, too.  It also ran when space got low.  But it just removed files.
It did not update the database.  It left that to regular expire every
night or couple of days, as you wish.   It's short, I will post it if need
be.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (09/13/89)

In article <1989Sep12.230820.2296@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Well, this may half-please you. :-)  It's not set up that way out of the
>box.  But at least part of it -- expiry only on space shortage -- can be
>done by minor changes to shell files.  People have done it.  We don't
>have a "remove list" or anything like that, but you could get much the
>same effect by doing iterative expiry, generating expire control files
>specifying successively tighter expiry times until you had enough free
>space to suit you.  The overhead needn't be very high if it's managed
>intelligently.  Again, we don't provide the solution, but I think most
>of the tools are there to build your own.

Too bad.  I was hoping for something automatic,
out of the box.  One of the worst things about
Bnews is the amount of nursing it needs, and the
amount of gory detail you need to know about it.

One thing I'm not clear on: using your suggested
fix, does inews make room for itself as it goes
along, or do I still have to guess how much
room to leave for tonight's feed?

 --dave

P.S.  Yup, "expiry" is in my dictionary.

In article <1403@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
>One thing I'm not clear on: using your suggested
>fix, does inews make room for itself as it goes
>along, or do I still have to guess how much
>room to leave for tonight's feed?

No, you don't have to guess.  The (shell) program that works through spooled
input checks disk space before proceeding.  It's pretty simple to have it run
an expire if space is inadequate.  We don't do it that way ourselves, but a
first-cut version should be a one-line change.
--

sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) (09/15/89)

In article <1989Sep12.230820.2296@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1401@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
>>I would be pleased to read the following
>>(or equivalent) about Cnews:
>>    articles will stay around as long as
>>    possible, being deleted automatically only
>>    as space is needed for new articles...
>
>Well, this may half-please you. :-)  It's not set up that way out of the
>box.  But at least part of it -- expiry only on space shortage -- can be
>done by minor changes to shell files.  People have done it.

If you're planning to do it, remember that since news articles tend to
be small individual files, you are likely to run out of inodes long before
you run out of space, even if you do some tweaking with the inode
parameters in mkfs. The exceptions, in my experience anyway, tend to
be when you run into problems batching or unbatching so you get huge
files created and left around for a while.

--
 Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
 Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth@utorphys

In article <1989Sep14.182604.15992@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:
>... remember that since news articles tend to
>be small individual files, you are likely to run out of inodes long before
>you run out of space...

This is *very* dependent on system configuration details.  Exhausting inodes
is one problem that utzoo has never, ever, had, although we tend to run with
90%-full filesystems most of the time.  We've never even been close.  So I
think it is fairer to say that it *might* be a problem, depending on your
system.
--

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (09/16/89)

As quoted from <1989Sep14.161548.26094@utzoo.uucp> by henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer):
+---------------
| In article <1403@esquire.UUCP> yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) writes:
| >One thing I'm not clear on: using your suggested
| >fix, does inews make room for itself as it goes
| >along, or do I still have to guess how much
| >room to leave for tonight's feed?
|
| No, you don't have to guess.  The (shell) program that works through spooled
| input checks disk space before proceeding.  It's pretty simple to have it run
| an expire if space is inadequate.  We don't do it that way ourselves, but a
| first-cut version should be a one-line change.
+---------------

As the news maintainer (sometimes, at least) on ncoast, I've taken a pretty
close look at C news.  The good news is that it's quite usable without any
handholding; the better news is that much of it is *simple* shell scripts.  If
you can program the Bourne shell, you can change many things in C news quite
easily.  For example, I modified the batcher to support the ability to batch
for certain sites only at certain times (more specifically, *not* to batch
during working hours on weekdays), so those sites can poll during the day just
to get mail.  It was fairly trivial shell hacking.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (09/16/89)

[ wishlist about features deleted ]

In article <1989Sep14.182604.15992@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:

> If you're planning to do it, remember that since news articles tend to
> be small individual files, you are likely to run out of inodes long before
> you run out of space, even if you do some tweaking with the inode
> parameters in mkfs. The exceptions, in my experience anyway, tend to

>  Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth

I don't find it necessary to "tweak", I just looked at the typical size
of postings and calculated an appropriate value. A "df -t /news" returns
the following:

/news     (/dev/dsk/1s0    ):    95420 blocks    30760 i-nodes
                   total:   304254 blocks   65488 i-nodes

The worst problems I've had was when permissions problems caused batched
files to build up in the /news partition. This caused some of the
directory entries to get stretched out over 50,000+ inodes, which KILLED
performance. (Expire was taking 6 hours to run, for example; an ls took
5 minutes to come back, and rnews was running all day--this on a 16MHZ
386 Multibus machine I use as a mail/news hub.) The only way to cure it
was to dump everything to tape, recreate the directory, and restore.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!gary@sci34hub  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep14.182604.15992@helios.physics.utoronto.ca> sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:

>If you're planning to do it, remember that since news articles tend to
>be small individual files, you are likely to run out of inodes long before
>you run out of space, even if you do some tweaking with the inode
>parameters in mkfs.

The following seems to be an optimum space inode ratio (at least here).
Mount Dir   Filesystem  blocks	  used	  free	% used	 iused	ifree	%iused
/usr/spool/ /dev/news   140000	 91186	 48814	   65%	16911	 8081	   68%

>The exceptions, in my experience anyway, tend to
>be when you run into problems batching or unbatching so you get huge
>files created and left around for a while.

I like to have that happen in another (stable) filesystem with more room.

> Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
> Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth@utorphys
> U. of Toronto        INTERNET - sysruth@helios.physics.toronto.edu

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@xenitec.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!xenitec!edhew
->home:	 previously:  edhew@egvideo.uucp         [for people with old maps]

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/20/89)

In article <321@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) writes:

>directory entries ... stretched out over 50,000+ inodes, which KILLED
>performance ... the only way to cure it was to dump everything to tape,
>recreate the directory, and restore.

Another approach:  create a new tree in which each directory is new but
each leaf is a link to the existing file.  Then rm -rf the old tree, and
rename the new one.  Should be faster since only directories get messed
with and the data doesn't have to be dumped and restored.  (If you're
short on i-nodes, this might have to be done in parts.)