[news.admin] Gatewaying between mailing list and news

david@indetech.com (09/21/89)

In article  <2202@erix.ericsson.se> per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) writes:
> We use recnews here too, but I think it has a couple of problems:
> - it throws away the original Message-ID, causing inews to
> generate a local one - not very nice if you want to reply to an
> "article" - it sometimes gets confused about the sender address,
> which ends up like From: \@local.host.address. I haven't had
> opportunity to identify the exact circumstances under which that
> happens. It may be fixed by patch #17, though - we're currently at
> #14...
>
> Improvements to recnews or alternative suggestions are welcome...

I too had the problem of an appropriate gatewaying mechanism, in
particular, one that worked with C news.  I have written a Perl
script that converts e-mail to netnews.  It is meant to work with C
news' relaynews avoiding the overhead of the C news inews shell
script.  It may be possible to replace relaynews with the B news
inews, I haven't tried it.

The script itself converts anything reasonable in the mail header to
an appropriate news header.  In particular, it maintains the
Message-ID (Message-Id in the mail header).  If there isn't one it
makes up a C news style Message-ID from the date and originating
site.  This means that if two sites get the same message they should
create the same Message-ID.  This should address the concerns of
chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) that he expressed in article
<25155893.16096@ateng.com> about a SMOP (Small matter of
programming) to insure that mail to news gateways preserve
Message-ID.

If you are reading this in as news then the script worked since I've
set up a local alias.  It does have a couple of deficiencies.  It
doesn't handle multi-line header fields (continuations that start
with whitespace).  It has perhaps missed some mapping from an e-mail
header field that is common but not in RFC 822.  It isn't well
tested and our environment isn't typical.  If you have any interest
in it let me know.
--
____*_  David A. Kuder              david@indetech.com
\  / /  Independence Technologies   {sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!david