[news.admin] Solutions to USENET Map Abuse

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (09/15/89)

I just spoke with Geoff Goodfellow, and he disagrees that using the map
data is inappropriate. ( He didn't say _why_ ... probably because it's
free, but you'll have a hard time getting him to say that in public. Or
private, except very carefully controlled circumstances. )

I was going to suggest that everyone who is not in favor of this change
their maps so that their address is that of Anterior Technology, so that
when they began mailing unsolicited materials and getting them back in
droves, they would re-evaluate their policy ... but,Geoff says that this
has the "approval of Erik Fair", which suggests that any efforts to sabo-
-tage such efforts would themselves be sabotaged by the Northern California
UUCP Map Coordinator, which is sad, in a way, as those maps' contents aren't
really his to give away. ( Perhaps he needs to be reminded. Erik ? )

Of course, I was immediately silenced by The Name, and ceased my complaint
immediately, my lips sealed shut by the realization that I was meddling in
the Doings Of Gods, where I, a mere mortal, had no place being. (-:

-- richard

--
 *                                                                            *
 *          Intelligence : the ability to create order out of chaos.          *

While this is not my mailing  (It mentions ClariNet because you can
get a ClariNet feed from Anterior, among other places, and he mentions that in
his brochure) I fail to see what the fuss is about.

If somebody were to post a hype-advertising message to USENET or
a subsection of it, I am sure the author of <2049@avsd.UUCP> would
flame with the burners on high.

So if somebody has the courtesy to spend a lot of their own money
to contact local USENET sites by postal mail, why are the flames
just as much?

If somebody has a product or service that would be of enough value to
USENET admins that they would pay for it, how do you suggest that the
message be communicated.  Mind reading?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/16/89)

In article <14377@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>to contact local USENET sites by postal mail, why are the flames
>just as much?
>
>If somebody has a product or service that would be of enough value to
>USENET admins that they would pay for it, how do you suggest that the
>message be communicated.  Mind reading?

I'm sure the good folks at Unix Review, Unix World, Unix Today or a whole
host of other magazines would be very happy to take their money :-)

I agree with Brad that this discussion seems to be another tempest in a
teacup. If someone wants to scrounge my address from my map entry and target
mail at it, more power to them.

Maybe we need another line in our map entries to clarify things:

#N	van-bc
#S	Callan Unistar 300; System V Uniplus+   4.2.2.L3
#O	SCO Xenix 2.3.2 / 386
#C	Stuart Lynne
#E	van-bc!sl
#T	+1 604-937-7532
#P	225B Evergreen Dr.,Port Moody,BC,V3H 1S1
#L	49 17 N / 122 52 W
#R	Public access to newsfeed and mail for British Columbia
#R	Trailblazer on 604-939-4782,login: nuucp,password: nuucp
#R	2400/1200 on 604-939-4756
#R	Permission granted to send advertising to above address
#W	Stuart.Lynne@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca; Tue Aug 29 15:39:05 PDT 1989
#U	uunet ubc-cs

or for the other side:

#R	Anyone sending unsolicted advertising to the above address will
#R	be summarily flamed in the appropriate Usenet group with extremely
#R	vitriolic and inflammatory remarks. Do so at your own risk!

I suppose you could just leave out your address. What's the use of
putting it in if you're going to flame people for using it? Just leave in #L
line so we can put you in the postscript maps.(Hm, I wonder if Canada Post
would deliver to a latitude/longitute?)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

Knowing some direct mailers, I can tell you that if they took from the
UUCP maps, they would be pleased as punch to obey a "No direct mail, please"
line if it were formally defined.   That's why there's even a direct mail
association that you can write to to get yourself removed from almost all
major mailing lists.  The mailers don't want to mail to people who will
be disinterested, let alone those who would be annoyed!  It costs them
money.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (09/18/89)

In article <15316@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Knowing some direct mailers, I can tell you that if they took from the
>UUCP maps, they would be pleased as punch to obey a "No direct mail, please"
>line if it were formally defined.   That's why there's even a direct mail

That's a good point, Brad. Also, *some* of us would be interested in seeing
some commercial offers made as the result of our name having been taken off
of the usenet maps. For those who wish to remain pure of heart, put a comment
into your map, as Brad suggests. This "big problem" is a no-brainer to solve,
if you don't want to be solicited. On the other hand...

It may turn out that this stuff is just more "junk mail" - but some of us
*might* be interested in some of that junk!

                                 Bud Hovell

USENET: ...!{tektronix|sun}!nosun!whizz!bbh
USPO:   McCormick & Hovell, Inc., PO Box 1812, Lake Oswego, OR   USA 97O35
"Capitalism is the exploitation of man by man. Communism is just the opposite."

In article <2049@avsd.UUCP>, childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:
> I just spoke with Geoff Goodfellow, and he disagrees that using the map
> data is inappropriate.

I agree with him. I'm no fan of hitchikers, but if you have to get your
nose bent out of shape you could have the taste to do it over something
a little more important than junk mail.

Now if they started feeding the phone numbers in map entries to
telemarketers...
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'