[news.admin] duplicated articles

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/27/89)

This appeared here in misc.kids over the weekend.  It looks like something
somewhere (at silver.bacs.indiana.edu ?) processed the headers, sent them and
the body as usual, then appended the original headers and a second copy of
the body.

If we guess that the second set represents what was visible in the editor,
then the first set has had null headers removed and Message-ID, Date, Lines,
and Posted headers added.  This sounds like normal Pnews/inews processing.

I wonder if this is related to the duplicate articles we've been seeing
recently.

It may be noteworthy that the last line of the article (signature) has the
first duplicated header line appended *without an intervening newline*.

+ From: media@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Institute for Digital Arts)
+ Newsgroups: misc.kids
+ Subject: Re: Yucky medicine
+ Date: 22 Sep 89 21:25:24 GMT