[net.unix-wizards] NS32032 and UNIX

rbj@ICST-CMR.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (10/27/86)

	I am looking for any information about any systems that run UNIX(tm)
	on a National Semiconductor NS32032 processor.

I believe National itself has something called Genix, but I have heard it
has problems. Sequent and Encore are two OEM's that build multiprocessor
boxes with ns32032 brains and have adapted unix to run in that environment.

	Thanks,
	Tom Perrine
	Logicon - Operating Systems Division
	San Diego CA

	ARPA: Perrine@LOGICON.ARPA or Perrine@DOCKMASTER.ARPA

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	I have seen these EGG EXTENDERS in my Supermarket..

Please note that NBS neither recommends for or against specific products
or vendors. These are my personal opinions. I do not speak for NBS.

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (10/29/86)

In article <4936@brl-smoke.ARPA> rbj@ICST-CMR.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>	I am looking for any information about any systems that run UNIX(tm)
>>	on a National Semiconductor NS32032 processor.
>
>I believe National itself has something called Genix, but I have heard it
>has problems.

Yes, GENIX has many problems.  Mostly because it was/is based on 4.1BSD, even
though 4.2 was available before GENIX was.  At this point, I believe National
is working very hard on SVID compliance, which is just about the worst thing
they could do (in my fanatical opinion--please disagree by mail if you must).

Symmetric Computer Systems in San Jose makes a 32016 box that works quite
well.  I own one.  Symmetric has brought most of 4.2 and parts of 4.3 into
the operating system (Symmetrix), which was originally based on GENIX.

Sequent's machine is a very fast multiprocessor, but is expensive.  The
Symmetric 375 I'm typing this on weighs 25 pounds, is 14in X 6in X 12in,
has a 96Mb/28ms drive, an 800K floppy, four ports, 2MB ram, a 10MHz 32016,
optional SCSI and ethernet, and sold for about $6300.  Cheaper models are
available with smaller/slower hard drives.
--
Paul A. Vixie       arpa: paul@vixie.UUCP, nike!ptsfa!vixie!paul@seismo.CSS.GOV
San Mateo, Calif    uucp: {ptsfa,qantel,fortune,crash,winfree}!vixie!paul

wdb@quando.UUCP (11/03/86)

/***** quando:net.unix-wizar / brl-smok!rbj@ICST-CMR.arpa /  5:49 pm  Oct 27, 1986*/

	I am looking for any information about any systems that run UNIX(tm)
	on a National Semiconductor NS32032 processor.

there is also a german firm called SIEMENS, who sells a machine
'PC/MX-2' running with a 32016, the UNIX-version they are
running is called 'SINIX', which is a big mixture of some
UNIX-derivates, i.e. XENIX

Wolf

uucp:	wdb@quando.uucp

mikez@omepd (Mike Zuhl) (11/04/86)

(Sorry, can't reach original sender.) Tektronix makes a very good 32032
box (I own one).  Check out mod.newprod.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (11/04/86)

In article <4936@brl-smoke.ARPA> rbj@ICST-CMR.arpa writes:

>	I am looking for any information about any systems that run UNIX(tm)
>	on a National Semiconductor NS32032 processor.

National Semiconductor supports System V Release 2 & Release 3, under a joint
agreement with AT&T to do so for the NS32000 series.

One example of this is available directly from NSC or any distributor of their
products (Hamilton Avnet) in the ICM 3216 product line and the ICM 3232 product
line.

Briefly:

ICM 3216
	10 Mhz 32016 CPU, MPU, FPU
	4 MB of memory
	two serial ports with modem control
	two serial ports without modem control
	one parallel port for Centronics style printer
	SCSI port
	System V Release 2, with Paged Virtual Memory System

	$3395 ($1495 for educational institutions)

The above is implemented on two boards about 10"x11" requiring +5, +12, -12
etc. You must add > 40MB SCSI compatible hard disk (~$2000), SCSI compatible
9 track cartridge (~$1000), case and PS (~$400 - IBM PC AT clone case works
well).

ICM 3232
	10 Mhz 32332 CPU, MPU, FPU, 2MB of memory
	32016 CPU, .5 MB of memory
	four serial ports
	one parallel port
	SCSI port
	System V Release 3, Page Virtual Memory System
	additional memory boards have 6MB

	$UNKOWN, product to be available early '87

Also available is an eight port serial card with a 32016 and .5MB of memory.

I used an ICM 3216 for about four months this summer. Subjectively speaking
it felt AT LEAST twice as fast as the 10 Mhz Callan 68010 system I'm typing
this on. This was probably due to the nice job NSC did on the Paged Virtual
Memory. Most benchmarks indicate that 68010 is slightly fast than a 32016 at
the same clock speed.

The System V port is very generic. NSC apparantly doesn't feel the need to
differentiate their port from standard System V from AT&T. The only problem
I had was the lack of nroff due to the unbundling process that AT&T is
following.

Inside reports from the Portland lab where the boards are being developed
indicate that the new ICM 3232 product will be about twice as fast as the
ICM 3216.

In general if you don't mind putting this together you probably can't find
a much better price / performance ratio with any of the current products on
the market.  For the less intrepid there are some OEM's packaging the boards
and charging a lot more.

Stuart Lynne  	Public Access Un*x - Vancouver BC
UUCP:		ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vi!van-bc!sl
Mail:		225B Evergreen Dr., Port Moody, BC, Canada, V3H 1S1
Phone: 		604-937-7532

root@doghouse.gwd.tek.com (Der Kennelmeister) (11/05/86)

In article <186@omepd> mikez@omepd.UUCP (Mike Zuhl) writes:
>(Sorry, can't reach original sender.) Tektronix makes a very good 32032
>box (I own one).  Check out mod.newprod.

Small correction, the Tek 4132 Mike refers to in mod.newprod
has a 12.5 MHz 32016, not a 32032.

[Not to worry, it's still a good machine, and still very fast,
dispite having "only" a 32016.  And of course, it comes with
/dev/kmem as standard equipment! :-) ]

All those in favor of dropping a 32332 in, send mail.

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com

amos@instable.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (11/06/86)

> In article <186@omepd> mikez@omepd.UUCP (Mike Zuhl) writes:
> [Not to worry, it's still a good machine, and still very fast,
> dispite having "only" a 32016.  And of course, it comes with
> /dev/kmem as standard equipment! :-) ]
>
> All those in favor of dropping a 32332 in, send mail.
-- send it to Tektronix - as I understand, they have decided to
discontinue the line.

> Snoopy
> tektronix!doghouse.gwd!snoopy
> snoopy@doghouse.gwd.tek.com

(my personal opinions, not necessarily NSC's)
--
	Amos Shapir

National Semiconductor (Israel)
6 Maskit st. P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
(01-972) 52-522261  amos%nsta@nsc
34.48'E 32.10'N