[news.admin] Expire not expiring news?

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (08/11/89)

Since we are a small site with limited disk space, we have to conserve
all we have.  So to keep enough space, I have news expiring at no more
than three days (seven on sources) from the time it arrives here (-I
option to expire).  In looking for a particular article that I've read,
I went into the news directories and was looking around when I noticed
articles that have been here since as far back as May?!  Very few of
these have an Expire: header and those that do do not have a date in
them.

My current solution was a quickie shell script to remove all those
oldies and run expire to update the logs (as per the manual).  I would
like to know how can I avoid doing this?  I recovered four megabytes
that way and I think that is significant here.  For the record we are
running news 2.11 with all the patches and this is a Motorola Delta
System running System V/68 Release 3.

Any help is appreciated!

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) (09/21/89)

In article <888@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
>....  So to keep enough space, I have news expiring at no more
>than three days (seven on sources) from the time it arrives here (-I
>option to expire).
>... I noticed
>articles that have been here since as far back as May?!

>Any help is appreciated!
>
>--
>scott barman
>{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

We have discovered the same problem here, and traced it to the
fact that expire does not do a less than or equal, but rather
a equal compare on date (as far as I can tell).  We ended up doing
as you did (delete old files, rebuild log).  It seems that
if your expire script dies for any reason that you MUST
go and run it manually.

We would love to know of a better solution.

And, for the record, we are using sun unix 4.2 release 3.4 (NSE_kernel)

So, whats the story? And thanks in advance.
----------
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Daisy/Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075\  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

kiy@pte.UUCP (Kevin Young) (09/23/89)

In article <9573@cadnetix.COM> rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth) writes:
>In article <888@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
>>... I noticed articles that have been here since as far back as May?!
>We have discovered the same problem here...

Well I'm somewhat of a beginner at newsadmin but when I have that
problem I manually run the line:

	expire -p -e30 -E30

This has the effect of expiring articles which were *posted* more than
30 days in the past.  This could be put into the cron file but I just
haven't gotten to it.  I think 30 days is plenty of time to allow an
an article to get to me from anywhere.  BTW, we run SYSV r2.2.
Kevin
--
>|< Kevin I Young					uunet!edsews!pte!kiy
    Precise Technology & Electronics, Inc.
    Custom Automated Test and Measurement Equipment for Industry
    Old Saying: "If you can't do it in real time, then don't do it at all" - me

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (09/29/89)

From article <9573@cadnetix.COM>, by rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty Carruth):
> In article <888@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:
>>....  So to keep enough space, I have news expiring at no more
>>than three days (seven on sources) from the time it arrives here (-I
>>option to expire).
>>... I noticed
>>articles that have been here since as far back as May?!
>
> We have discovered the same problem here, and traced it to the
> fact that expire does not do a less than or equal, but rather
> a equal compare on date (as far as I can tell).

Once a day:

find /usr/spool/news -mtime +7 -type f -exec rm \{\} \;

Once a week:

expire -e 7 -i -r

I've been running this way for a year now, so before you ask:

-rw-rw-r--  1 news     news       483128 Sep 28 11:38 /usr/lib/news/history

I can personally guarantee that it nukes things older than a week. It could
be adapted by changing the +7 to a +28 in the find command to work as an
adjunct to a regular expire, but if you do this, the weekly expire -i -r
is still  an absolute necessity.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

robin@bnrmtv.UUCP (Robin Coutellier) (09/29/89)

From article <2483@pte.UUCP>, by kiy@pte.UUCP (Kevin Young):
> Well I'm somewhat of a beginner at newsadmin but when I have that
> problem I manually run the line:
>
> 	expire -p -e30 -E30
>
> This has the effect of expiring articles which were *posted* more than
> 30 days in the past.  This could be put into the cron file but I just

I had a similar problem about a month or so ago, and repeated expire
commands were not working.  I finally recompiled the expire command --
THEN it worked.

Robin Coutellier