[news.admin] Yet another network tragedy

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (09/26/89)

In article <34991@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
|							        It's sad that
| USENET is based so heavily on negative vibes and 'surviving' the idiots. If
| anyone wants to know why I'm spending more and more time on CI$ and less and
| less here....

The headlines read:
  "Chuq Leaves USENET... Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted."

(Sorry, as a fellow old-time-netter, couldn't resist. :-)
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |

>|							        It's sad that
>| USENET is based so heavily on negative vibes and 'surviving' the idiots. If
>| anyone wants to know why I'm spending more and more time on CI$ and less and
>| less here....

>The headlines read:
>  "Chuq Leaves USENET... Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted."

No headlines. Despite what I am personally doing, USENET is far, far from
dead or even dying. The *worst* that can be claimed is that USENET's
interests and my own are growing down separate paths. That doesn't mean what
USENET is doing is good, bad or anything -- just that what I'm looking for
and what USENET is interested in aren't meshing as closely as they used to.

Which happens. It's easy to equate "I don't like" with "this is bad" -- many
people (even those who should know better) do it all the time. USENET isn't
being run for my benefit, and it hasn't for a long, long time. My attitude
is pretty simple. Use the parts I like, ignore the parts I don't, and try to
help out where I can while avoiding making things worse. I wish that
attitude were more prevalent on the networks, frankly.

And, to make matters even more interesting (sort of) a flame-war erupted on
CompuServe over the weekend that rivaled the nastiest cr*p I've ever seen
here on USENET. Which points out two basic facts of computer networks:

o Once a network reaches a given size, conflicts and flame fests are inevitable.
  USENET, Internet, CIS, GEnie, Delphi, Fidonet -- I've seen the same thing
  happen to each in almost identical ways. A small population is generally
  friendly and cooperative. It hits a certain critical mass, though, and
  it's likely to go *poof* over relatively trivial issues [and it generally
  *is* trivial issues rather than important ones...]. On the plus side, on a
  flamewar/population ratio, USENET seems to be better at avoiding things
  (that may sound counter-intuitive, but USENET has *much* larger user
  populations -- the other folks get just as nasty, just as often with many
  fewer people to fan the flames...)

o If you track flame-wars back to the source, you will generally find one or
 two real twits at the source. In the case of recurring flames, you'll
 usually find the same crew of recurring twits (On CIS, it was three, maybe
 four people making life miserable for the other few thousand...).

The problem, of course, is getting rid of those three or four people....

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking. I am not Appl

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (09/27/89)

In article <4971@omepd.UUCP>, merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:

> The headlines read:
>   "Chuq Leaves USENET... Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted."

Maybe Mr. Von Rospach isn't just going to *leave* the net.  Maybe
he's going to Chuq it all.

Jeff

rob@violet.berkeley.edu (Rob Robertson) (09/27/89)

In article <4971@omepd.UUCP> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
   In article <34991@apple.Apple.COM>, chuq@Apple (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
   |							        It's sad that
   | USENET is based so heavily on negative vibes and 'surviving' the idiots. If
   | anyone wants to know why I'm spending more and more time on CI$ and less and
   | less here....

   The headlines read:
     "Chuq Leaves USENET... Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted."

chuqi's been he's about to leave for years.  as with the death of
usenet, i'll believe it when i see it...

rob
--
			  william robertson
		       rob@violet.berkeley.edu

	     symbolic links are the GOTO's of filesystems

>chuqi's been he's about to leave for years.  as with the death of
>usenet, i'll believe it when i see it...

Actually I have left many times, and always returned (usually to a smaller
subset. My net-reading is, actually, at an all-time low again as far as # of
groups. The *volume* of what I read isn't, because of the number of
messages. It's probably more or less constant -- as the net grows, the
number of groups drops....).

I used to decry the forthcoming Death of the Net. I don't any more, because
it's not going to die. What the net has done (and continues to do) is mutate
and evolve to meet the needs of the various groups that use it. As different
groups grow and shrink, the net switches around to meet the needs. Whether
what the net does meets my needs (or the needs of any individual user) is
immaterial to the life or death of the net.

Remember, at one time, USENET was here primarily for the discussion of Unix.
Now, that's a fringe (as the Unix-first people found out when they tried to
kill off the PC and Mac groups a while back, only to find out they were
heavily outnumbered...). Things change....

--

avery@well.UUCP (Avery Ray Colter) (09/29/89)

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>And, to make matters even more interesting (sort of) a flame-war erupted on
>CompuServe over the weekend that rivaled the nastiest cr*p I've ever seen
>here on USENET. Which points out two basic facts of computer networks:

Ummm, you wouldn't happen to be referring to the flame war that I played
probably a critical part in carrying on, now would you?

--
Avery Ray Colter    avery@well.sf.ca.us   71067.606@compuserve.com
{apple,lamc,lll-winken,cogsci,hplabs,pacbell}!well!avery