[news.admin] Noise in Message ID's causing dupes

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/28/89)

OK, here's an example.  Someone trashed a message ID en route,
enabling B news to post a dupe.

*** 3218	Wed Sep 27 17:02:21 1989
--- 3232	Thu Sep 28 07:02:40 1989
***************
*** 1,8 ****
  From: pjs@ARISTOTLE-GW.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott)
  Newsgroups: sci.space
  Subject: Re: Alternative Space Goals, Anyone? (was Re: SpaceCause)
  Date: 27 Sep 89 18:18:24 GMT
  Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
  From: pjs@ARISTOTLE-GW.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott)
  Newsgroups: sci.space
  Date: 27 Sep 89 18:18:24 GMT
  Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

By lighting the 0x04 bit in one character of the message, POSSIBLY ucbvax
but MORE LIKELY one of

	wuarchive
	brutus.cs.uiuc.edu
	apple
	bionet
	ames
	lll-lcc
	unisoft
	mtxinu

caused the problem.  This could have occurred in transmission or during
news processing.

If anyone else has this message with the "=" character in the message ID
and can cross-check with the above list, a culprit might be identified.
--
"We plan absentee ownership.  I'll stick to       `o'   Tom Neff
 building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, 1973    o"o   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/29/89)

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>OK, here's an example.  Someone trashed a message ID en route,
>enabling B news to post a dupe.

Twasn't us, or wuarchive. I've got both versions here, and so does apple
(I checked). That narrows it down a bit to one of:
	apple,bionet,ames,lll-lcc,unisoft,mtxinu
I also checked ucbvax: they do _not_ have the = version.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

schow@bmers58.UUCP (Stanley Chow) (09/30/89)

In article <14751@bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>OK, here's an example.  Someone trashed a message ID en route,
>enabling B news to post a dupe.
> [extra info deleted.]

First of all, I am a relatively new *user* of Usenet and don't know a lot
about the mysteries of the various news software and the protocols. Since
this business of the duplicate articles is getting annoying and many people
have looked at it with no resolution, I figured throwing in my guesses
won't hurt anything.

I am a little surprised this can happen. Isn't there a checksum somewhere
that covers the message ID? Assuming (some news software) does not have
checksum protecting the message ID (or that some idiot disabled it), then
I have a scenerio that may explain the problem.

The history of the article have to be something like:

	       -- Site3, Id2 --
              /                \
--> Site1, Id1                 Site4, Id1+Id2
	      \                /
	       -- Site2, Id1 --

The error would have happened on the transmission from Site1 to Site3.
(This assumes each site only transmites one copy of any article to its
downstream sites).

Following this reasoning, the duplicate article in question must have
originated during the transmission from ucbvax to mtxinu. All other sites
are propagating articles as they should.

It is possible (barely) for the error to have been JPL -> ucbvax, but this
requires that JPL thinks the first transmission failed but ucbvax to have
accepted the first article.

One confirmation  would be to look at the path of the erroneous article
at the "innocent" sites. The path should be "abnormal" in that it took
a longer path of the form  originator!..!Site1!Site3!...!Site4!..Site2.

Another confirmation would be to look at the log files of the suspected
link. It should have lots of transmission errors. (Assuming that at least
the bodies of articles are protected by checksum).

--
Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (09/30/89)

I think apple is doing it.  The last two examples had apple as
the only common computer in the Path: line.

--

Todd Day  |  todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us  |  ivucsb!todd@anise.acc.com
"Ya know, some day these scientists are going to invent something

rog@rtech.rtech.com (Roger Taranto) (10/04/89)

In article <very long id> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>I think apple is doing it.  The last two examples had apple as
>the only common computer in the Path: line.

I don't think it's apple, looks like ucbvax to me:
Article 1:

Article 2:

-Roger
{mtxinu,pacbell,amdahl,sun,hoptoad}!rtech!rog   rog@rtech.com