[news.admin] Adding new net-wide groups locally

dan@dsi.COM (Dan Mick) (10/05/89)

How do I get my local news to stop junking things from my new feed of
alt.sys.sun?

I've tried RTFM for inews -C but it's pretty unhelpful
as to the ramifications; the default seems to be creating a local group,
which isn't what I want.  I suspect somehow active needs updating, but
don't know how..

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (10/05/89)

In <252@dsi.COM> dan@dsi.COM (Dan Mick) writes:
Dan> How do I get my local news to stop junking things from my new feed of
Dan> alt.sys.sun?

B News?  inews -C alt.sys.sun.
C News?  $NEWSBIN/maint/addgroup alt.sys.sun y.

Something else seems unlikely since I don't think inews exists for other
implementations (which could be very wrong, and I'm sure I'll hear
about it if so).

Dan> I've tried RTFM for inews -C but it's pretty unhelpful as to the
Dan> ramifications; the default seems to be creating a local group,
Dan> which isn't what I want.  I suspect somehow active needs
Dan> updating, but don't know how..

You seem to have a little confusion regarding what creating a local
group means; it doesn't mean that the group will necessarily only be
available locally.  That is up to the sys file to decide.  All adding
a local group means is that the control message for it, if any, will
only appear on your machine (and any that happens to get a Distribution:
local feed from you).  addgroup does not even generate a control
message and it is definitely the preferred method for adding a group
with C News.

inews -C and addgroup both edit the active file appropriately, but I
seem to still have to edit $NEWCTL/newsgroups manually so checkgroups
doesn't whine under C News.  I don't remember whether I had to do that
with B News because I didn't even bother with checkgroups then.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))