[news.admin] sys file

rainwatr@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) (09/06/89)

	I would like to set up my sys file to exclude most of a
hierarchy (for example, I may want to exclude all alt groups except
alt.sources).  Is it possible to have ...!alt,alt.sources,... in the
sys file, or do I need to list all of the groups to exclude individually
(for example ...,alt,!alt.x,!alt.y)?

	Obviously, it would be better if I could just exclude the whole
hierarchy, then turn on the groups that I wanted to keep, but maybe this
is not possible.

In article <32@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) writes:
>	I would like to set up my sys file to exclude most of a
>hierarchy (for example, I may want to exclude all alt groups except
>alt.sources).  Is it possible to have ...!alt,alt.sources,... in the
>sys file...

Yes.
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

abrams@cass.amd.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) (09/09/89)

In article <32@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr@ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) writes:

>	I would like to set up my sys file to exclude most of a
>hierarchy (for example, I may want to exclude all alt groups except
>alt.sources).  Is it possible to have ...!alt,alt.sources,... in the
>sys file, or do I need to list all of the groups to exclude individually
>(for example ...,alt,!alt.x,!alt.y)?
>
>	Obviously, it would be better if I could just exclude the whole
>hierarchy, then turn on the groups that I wanted to keep, but maybe this
>is not possible.
	I would like to exclude whole groups, i.e. !ba.* !ca.* etc.
but my feeding site still ships me those groups and they fill up my
junk directory. I asked that my feeding site News Administrator put
!ba.*,!ca.*, etc into my sys file entry on his site, and he stated the
following:

|	We're not spooling news for you folks anymore - you're using
|NNTP.  NNTP allows you, via judicious editing of the nntp.oursite.edu
|file to control what groups you take from us.  To stop the flow of
|ca, mit, etc  you have a line that looks like:
|
|	!ca.*,!mit.*,!buf.*, etc etc

Looking at the file /usr/spool/batch/nntp.his_site.edu shows me a list
of articles bound for his site.  Editing that file as suggested causes
NNTP to barf.  Is there another file which will prevent me from asking
for unwanted newsgroups when I execute run.nntpxfer from his site?

INTERNET:	abrams@bnlux0.bnl.gov
BITNET:		abrams@bnlux0.BITNET
UUCP:		...philabs!sbcs!bnlux0!abrams

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitchell..Wright) (10/19/89)

Greetings!

I have a problem with my sys file... At least I think that it is my sys file.

I am trying to get only groups:

	all of comp,biz,sci,gnu,misc,news,u3b,unix-pc

	only alt.sys.sun

	all of rec, except rec.nude

	soc.college
	soc.culture.all
	soc.human-nets
	soc.net-people

	talk.politics.all
	talk.rumors

My sys file looks like this:

>> ME:world,na,usa,dc,va,md,!junk,!nasa,to.hq,\
>> biz,comp,ddn,gnu,misc,news,sci,u3b,unix-pc,\
>> alt.sys.sun,!alt,\
>> pubnet.config,pubnet.nixpub,!pubnet,\
>> !rec.nude,rec,\
>> soc.college,soc.culture,soc.human-nets,soc.net-people,!soc,\
>> talk.rumors,talk.politics,!talk

What happens is a message is logged saying:

"Newsgroups in active but not sys"

The articles are then left in junk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--