[news.admin] Left-over .ina & .ara files in SPOOLDIR

janick@crk56.bnr.com (Janick Bergeron 1617964) (10/17/89)

I get a bunch of .inaXXXXX and .araXXXXX (where 'XXXXX' is a 5 digit number,
looks like mktemp(3) filenames to me) left in the news SPOOLDIR.

Any idea why ?

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (10/19/89)

In article <79@crk56.bnr.com> janick@bnr.ca writes:

>I get a bunch of .inaXXXXX and .araXXXXX (where 'XXXXX' is a 5 digit number,
>looks like mktemp(3) filenames to me) left in the news SPOOLDIR.

>Any idea why ?

What version or patch level of news are you running?  There's a plethora
of versions and revisions out there, and without such information most
people haven't a hope in hell of being able to help you.  Chances are
they won't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

But, what the hey, it took almost 10 years of kicking and screaming
to get BNR on the net, so we'll give you a little leeway ;-)

Anyhow, you're in luck this time....  I recognize this bug (this
should perhaps be in a "monthly news software bug posting" perhaps?) and the
version.  You are running B-news, probably patch level 14, possibly 13.

This is something to do with cancel messages dropping core by
walking off the end of a buffer.  Patch 15 repaired this problem, but
the following two liner will fix *this* problem without having to
go through doing a patch 15, 16 and 17 upgrade.

Find your copy of control.c, circa line 690:

> 		if (!su && STRNCMP(whatsisname, poster, strlen(poster))) {
> 			error("Not contributor: posted by %s, and you are %s", poster, whatsisname);
> 		}
>
> 		(void) unlink(nfilename);
> 		p = q+1;
> 	}
> #endif /* !NFSCLIENT */
> 	return 0;
> }

immediately *after* the unlink, insert the following two lines:

> 		if (q == NULL)
> 			break;

Rebuild, and good luck!
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, uunet!attcan!lsuc, yunexus}!ecicrl!clewis

cathyf@rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) (10/21/89)

In article <716@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <79@crk56.bnr.com> janick@bnr.ca writes:
>
>>I get a bunch of .inaXXXXX and .araXXXXX (where 'XXXXX' is a 5 digit number,
>>looks like mktemp(3) filenames to me) left in the news SPOOLDIR.
>
>>Any idea why ?
>
>What version or patch level of news are you running?
>
>Anyhow, you're in luck this time....  I recognize this bug (this
>should perhaps be in a "monthly news software bug posting" perhaps?) and the
>version.  You are running B-news, probably patch level 14, possibly 13.
>
>This is something to do with cancel messages dropping core by
>walking off the end of a buffer.  Patch 15 repaired this problem, but
>the following two liner will fix *this* problem without having to
>go through doing a patch 15, 16 and 17 upgrade.

	[patch deleted - it consisted of adding two lines.]

>Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc.
>UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, uunet!attcan!lsuc, yunexus}!ecicrl!clewis

I have a similar thing, but it isn't from cancel dumping core, I don't
think.  I have SPOOLDIR/.tmp which is full of .inaXXXXX and other forms.
There are 8000 of them in there.  They are taking up 50 Meg.  A lot of
them seem to be comp.mail.maps type stuff although not all of them.
I also have .bad, which has ~300K and .rnews which is empty.  What are
these things for?  Especially the .tmp - that is a lot of disk space!  I
cleaned out a whole bunch last time I recompiled news, and they're back
now.

My cancel does dump core, but I have not figured out why.  It never works
from a newsreader and it dumps core when you invoke it directly.  I haven't
had a chance to check the code to see why it doesn't work.  I had
read that a particular combination of option settings would cause it not
to work, but haven't figured out what they are.

Oh yeah, I am running B 2.11.18 and had these problems when I started
with 2.11.17.  I do have the patch given above already installed.
Any more ideas, anyone?

Cathy
cathyf@rice.edu

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (10/25/89)

In article <2249@brazos.Rice.edu> cathyf@brazos.rice.edu (Catherine A. Foulston) writes:
|In article <716@ecicrl.UUCP> clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
|
|>This is something to do with cancel messages dropping core by
|>walking off the end of a buffer.  Patch 15 repaired this problem, but
|>the following two liner will fix *this* problem without having to
|>go through doing a patch 15, 16 and 17 upgrade.

|I have a similar thing, but it isn't from cancel dumping core, I don't
|think.  I have SPOOLDIR/.tmp which is full of .inaXXXXX and other forms.
|There are 8000 of them in there.  They are taking up 50 Meg.  A lot of
|them seem to be comp.mail.maps type stuff although not all of them.
|I also have .bad, which has ~300K and .rnews which is empty.  What are
|these things for?

This sounds similar, because most if not all comp.mail.maps postings
contain "Supersedes:" headers which are effectively the same as a cancel.

You may want to investigate your sources to make *sure* that the two
lines of code that I suggested is *really* in your control.c.  Ditto
any separate Supersedes: handling.  It's just possible that some sort
of change to your control.c broke patch 15 in this area.

What kind of system are you running?  This stuff would probably be pretty
sensitive regarding the type of history that you're using.

SPOOLDIR/.rnews is where incoming news gets spooled to if you have SPOOLNEWS
defined, or rnews starts while expire is running.  They get cleaned out when
"rnews -U" gets run (You have it cron'd somewhere I hope?  Tho, expire usually
fires it off by itself at the end of its run).  This should be empty after
a successful rnews -U run.

SPOOLDIR/.bad is where batches get thrown if certain categories of error
occur whilst unbatching.  I *think* the usual cause for these are broken
batches sent to you by your feeds.

SPOOLDIR/.tmp:  When rnews starts up, it checks its standard input to see
if it's a batch.  If so, it popens a pipe with "compress -d", shovels
the batch thru it, reading back the result, which is broken up into separate
files in SPOOLDIR/.tmp (over simplification, but never mind), which rnews
forks off copies of itself to read individually.  The code is *incredibly*
grotty, and is probably cause for the extremely lousy performance of the
forked rnews on big articles (eg: > 1 minute of CPU for articles > 32K
on a 3b1)

By the way, the cancel bug in patch level 14 is *relatively* harmless, because
by the time rnews upchucks, the article *has* been cancelled, and since
it's only working on *one* article at the time, you haven't lost anything.
Except possibly an update to history (which doesn't matter with a cancel
anyways).  Though, you might want to confirm that map articles (Supersedes
headers) have actually made it to SPOOLDIR/comp/mail/maps.
--
He's a consultant:             | Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc.
Lend him your watch            | UUCP {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis