[news.admin] Can a Newsgroup be Restricted...?

jxxl@cs.nps.navy.mil (vibo) (10/25/89)

Thanks to all who replied. The problem I presented was in having a
private newsgroup where reading could be restricted to a particular
user group. Following is a summation of the consensus reply.

The steps for restricting access to a newsgroup:

  > The group must be specified in /etc/group
  > Change the group of /usr/spool/news/newsgroupname with chgrp
  > Change the permissions of same to 750 with chmod

This works like a charm on the news server. However, the catch is that
access cannot be restricted by readers who use NNTP to come over the
net. NNTP currently has no facility for identifying the user and the
nntpd runs with root privileges so file restrictions don't apply. NNTP
will allow restrictions by host or by network, but in our case we cannot
generalize about where the users will be. My solution is to follow the
above procedure for restricting the newsgroup on the server and then to
deny any network access to the newsgroup by an appropriate entry in
/usr/lib/news/nntp_access. Users are forced to rlogin to the server to
read the restricted newsgroup. This is not the ideal distributed
solution but seems to be the best we can do with the current software.

Other suggestions which bear on the problem:

Use the "notes" public domain software. Clunky user interface, but does
the trick. I haven't investigated this myself.

Set the FASCIST option in B news to control posting.

In article <352@cs.nps.navy.mil> jxxl@cs.nps.navy.mil (vibo) writes:
>This works like a charm on the news server. However, the catch is that
>access cannot be restricted by readers who use NNTP to come over the
>net. NNTP currently has no facility for identifying the user...

This is actually a generic problem:  there is no reliable authentication
over most current networks.  (It's marginally feasible if you control all
machines on the network *and* have your gateways to the outside world do
fairly paranoid packet filtering, but that combination is rare.)  NNTP
per se is not to blame here.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ps@fps.com (Patricia Shanahan) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct25.162059.28776@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
 >In article <352@cs.nps.navy.mil> jxxl@cs.nps.navy.mil (vibo) writes:
 >>This works like a charm on the news server. However, the catch is that
 >>access cannot be restricted by readers who use NNTP to come over the
 >>net. NNTP currently has no facility for identifying the user...
 >
 >This is actually a generic problem:  there is no reliable authentication
 >over most current networks.  (It's marginally feasible if you control all
 >machines on the network *and* have your gateways to the outside world do
 >fairly paranoid packet filtering, but that combination is rare.)  NNTP
 >per se is not to blame here.
 >--
 >A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
 >megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

I suspect that any attempt to introduce authentication may be
counter-productive. With the current system, anyone forging messages
to stuff a vote would not feel clever, because it would be so easy
that anyone could do it. If it was not impossible to stuff the
votes, but it took some significant amount of special knowledge and
cleverness to do so, I think it would be much more likely to happen.

This is based on a theory that at least one motive for computer
crime and cheating is a wish to feel clever. People who would not,
for example, destroy books in a library to which they have access
will destroy files in a computer to which they have access.

I do not think it can be made truly impossible to forge votes,
especially if the network is to retain a reasonable degree of
flexibility.
	Patricia Shanahan
	ps@fps.com
        uucp : {decvax!ucbvax || ihnp4 || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ps
	phone: (619) 271-9940