[news.admin] Regional Distributions

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (11/11/89)

In article <1023@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> wb8foz@Mthvax.Miami.Edu (David Lesher) writes:

>3) One possible means to do this is by having articles checked by news,
>and those NOT intended for a site's distribution (ie you are in Iowa,
>and the article is marked "Chicago" would be PASSED by moving the
>article to the junk group. My feeble understanding of the RFC's is that
>junk handles VALID groups you only forward, but do not offer locally.

>I had NOT envisioned this as a means to remotely post to LOCAL groups,
>rather "locally" post to a NATIONAL group.

As far as the software is concerned, they're the same thing.  B news doesn't
even really distinguish top-level newsgroup hierarchy names (eg: "comp")
from geographic/organizational distributions, let alone local from
national distributions.  H'm, is "eci." a heirarchy?  City?  Province?
State?  Canton?  Company?  Product?

The other difficulty is, without major rewriting of the semantics of the
sys files and so on, or lots of (usually out of date) "exception lists",
you're sort of condemning every site to pass everything.  Eg: everyone
would have to (under-the-table) pass "ba." newsgroups because someone
somewhere downstream might connect to "ba.".  And, if anybody accidentally
leaked "ba." out of it's normal area, bingo - new international distribution!

I don't think it's worth it, especially since there already *is* a
mechanism to do this - mail it to someone who already lives in that
region.  It happens reasonably often (several people have even been trusting
enough to ask *me* to do it for them ... silly fools ;-)
--
He's a consultant:             | Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc.
Lend him your watch            | UUCP {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (11/13/89)

We often have people who are moving to campus looking for housing.  They
are invited to mail their housing requests (roommate, condo to share,
etc) to a mailing address here which posts it to the regional housing
newsgroup.  They clearly would expect to get email in response to such
postings.

I don't think there's a better example of a use for posting to a
regional newsgroup, nor a simpler way to handle it.
	- Brian