[news.admin] rn problems on the NeXT computer

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (11/13/89)

I was running rn and it was working just fine.  Now, all of a sudden,
whenever I try to followup or reply to a news message, I get the
following crash:

% interp buffer overflow!

I was trying to clean up some of the groups and users, so I must have broke
something when doing that.  I can't figure out what it could be, since nn
still works, nn can still post, and Pnews itself can post.  Rn can read
messages posted by nn, it just can't followup or reply.  I rebuilt rn by
doing a "make clean", "make all", and "make install", but it still does the
same thing.  This used to work and is driving me crazy!

If anyone is familiar with the internals of rn and can figure out what might
be causing this problem I'd love to hear about it.  As I said, I can post
with Pnews (which is a pain) and with nn (which I haven't quite figured out
how to use yet).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to
"radius!lemke@apple.com" and also cc: to "cpdaux!steve@apple.com"

--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (11/14/89)

In article <569@cpdaux.UUCP> cpdaux!steve@apple.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>I was running rn and it was working just fine.  Now, all of a sudden,
>whenever I try to followup or reply to a news message, I get the
>following crash:
>
>% interp buffer overflow!

The problem is with the length of the References: line.  When the line
wraps the screen more than about 2.5 times (!), you get this error
message.  The quick and dirty solution, assuming you have access to the
news spool directory, is to edit the article file and delete some of
the reference line.  The correct solution, of course, is to fix the
RN problem where he allocates the buffer.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You