[news.admin] News Versions Currently in Use

pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson) (11/13/89)

David C Lawrence:
>Addendum: rpi wasn't in the report, but I know we replied.  Most of my
>neighbours I found in there except for brutus and clarkson, which
>would have made for three more C News responses among us.

isy.liu.se wasn't in the report either. Neither were two of our downstream
sites. All of us are running C news and I'm 100% sure that a mail response
was sent back (twice, actually) to version@uunet. I looked for other C news
sites I know of in Sweden, but they were also missing.

Is Rick discriminating against C news cites or perhaps his scripts couldn't
handle the terse C news version reporting ``echo C | mail "$SENDER"''? Or
did lots of mail get lost?  The latter reason seems the most likely but
strange, since we connect directly to uunet. Still: why are (seemingly)
lots of C news sites missing?
--
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	                         pell@isy.liu.se
University of Linkoping, Sweden	                    ...!uunet!isy.liu.se!pell

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (11/13/89)

>David C Lawrence:
>>Addendum: rpi wasn't in the report, but I know we replied.  Most of my
>>neighbours I found in there except for brutus and clarkson, which
>>would have made for three more C News responses among us.

Yup, we didn't get counted, but I'm sure we responded. We don't even
report with quite the terseness of most C sites --- I hacked in version
info.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.
New NNTP connections always available! Send mail if you're interested.

In article <1989Nov12.210450.16134@isy.liu.se> pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson) writes:
>... why are (seemingly) lots of C news sites missing?

There was definitely something wrong with the count... if you look carefully,
you'll notice that neither utzoo nor utstat is listed!  We're quite sure we're
running C News :-).
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (11/15/89)

As quoted from <1989Nov12.210450.16134@isy.liu.se> by pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson):
+---------------
| David C Lawrence:
| >Addendum: rpi wasn't in the report, but I know we replied.  Most of my
| >neighbours I found in there except for brutus and clarkson, which
| >would have made for three more C News responses among us.
|
| isy.liu.se wasn't in the report either. Neither were two of our downstream
| sites. All of us are running C news and I'm 100% sure that a mail response
| was sent back (twice, actually) to version@uunet. I looked for other C news
| sites I know of in Sweden, but they were also missing.

I dunno; ncoast was correctly reported, and I haven't (yet) modified our
"version" script to send the patchdate.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)