[news.admin] Disappeared Message to Newgroups

bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) (11/15/89)

I put up a Call for Discussion for a proposed newsgroup.  The
message never made it to news.announce.newgroups (which has no
new messages since before posting), but part of it -- a small
part -- somehow survived distribution to another newsgroup,
where it caused some confusion.  Am I in the administrator's
lull period?  Perhaps he's away.  Should I repost, or what?

Bob Jacobson
Human Interface Technology Lab
Univ. of Washington
206-543-5075

In article <14571@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:

>I put up a Call for Discussion for a proposed newsgroup.  The
>message never made it to news.announce.newgroups (which has no
>new messages since before posting), but part of it -- a small
>part -- somehow survived distribution to another newsgroup,
>where it caused some confusion.  Am I in the administrator's
>lull period?  Perhaps he's away.  Should I repost, or what?
>
>Bob Jacobson
>Human Interface Technology Lab
>Univ. of Washington
>206-543-5075

Greg Woods has contacted me and assures me that the Call has been
posted (it's for a new, proposed sci.virtual-worlds conference).
I still can't find it on The WELL and the Univ. of Wash. systems,
but we're working on it.  Any clues as to what may have happened
are welcome.

Bob Jacobson
Human Interface Tech Lab
Univ. of Wash.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (11/16/89)

In article <14572@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:
>In article <14571@well.UUCP> bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) writes:
>>
>>I put up a Call for Discussion for a proposed newsgroup.  The
>>message never made it to news.announce.newgroups

  I did post the message. It turns out that the Newsgroups: and Distribution:
headers were corrupted due to an excessive number of newsgroups cross-posted
to, and the resulting too long Newsgroups: header line. It went out with
a Newsgroups: header of only news.announce.newgroups, but the Distribution:
header was totally munged, which probably explains why it didn't get very
far. I have reposted the article with the headers corrected. My apologies
for not noticing this the first time.

But it does bring up a point. Generally speaking, it really isn't necessary
to cross-post your proposal to 45 groups. I can't imagine a situation where
more than 10 or so would be required. Please try to limit the number of
groups cross-posted to.

--Greg

bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) (11/20/89)

I appreciate Greg's comments regarding excessive cross-posting of
announcements of proposed newgroups.  However, I think his warning
overstated our cross-posting of the notice in question.  We didn't
cross-post to 45 newsgroups; it was more like 10.  If that overdrives
the system, perhaps someone should be concerned.  My apologies again
to Greg for any misunderstandings.

Bob